The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #166
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 View Post
I haven't heard anything from the temp agency yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
Call them.
I called and spoke with their not-the-brightest-bulb-in-the-box receptionist....and I've been "put on the active list" so...we'll see.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #167
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

In my temp agency experience, you need to call every morning until you have an assignment.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #168
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Depends on the agency really.
I was registered with a good one and ended up friends with someone who used to work there. They hated the temps who kept calling, because the agency really was on top of things.

Then again I was registered with a place that asked my 3 times for my CV for 3 different permanent placements, despite the fact they were supposedly looking for temp work for me. Riiiiiiight. Got nothing from them at all in the end - no interviews, no temp work, nada. Hope their children went hungry.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #169
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

The microwave started emitting sparks/lightning this morning. (Inside the cooking chamber.) Further investigation showed they were coming from a part of the side panel that seemed to be burned and weakened. Indeed it sort of collapsed when I pressed my finger against it.

We now have a new one... spending the money was aggravating, but not so much as the process of shopping & picking one out.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #170
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I missed my nap.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:03 AM   #171
NoBoxes

Next time, reduce your elevation.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #172
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Gastro

Pukey smelling leather car interior

Dryer's broken, so I cant dry sheets that I have changed twice a nite for the weekend
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #173
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've decided to finally yank my resume from the major job sites: Monster, CareerBuilder and HotJobs. Back in the day, they were incredibly useful, and I've actually gotten a job off each of them. Now, you just get the shit spammed out of you with suspicious foreign job offers or companies that don't seem to even look at your resume. I've had enough of that bullshit...I'll stick to the local sites that I use, which don't seem to suffer from that crap.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #174
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I've decided to finally yank my resume from the major job sites: Monster, CareerBuilder and HotJobs. Back in the day, they were incredibly useful, and I've actually gotten a job off each of them. Now, you just get the shit spammed out of you with suspicious foreign job offers or companies that don't seem to even look at your resume. I've had enough of that bullshit...I'll stick to the local sites that I use, which don't seem to suffer from that crap.
Yea...Syc..I'm screening people now before I send the resume. They may get my e-mail addy but not a scrap more before they talk to me. They don't get a first and last name either. People understand the need for exercising caution, and that also makes you look good. All you have to do is be polite and request information about the job and show interest in what they are doing. They will reply....and then you are able to judge what you are dealing with. And forward your res. from there.

I will never send out my resume or post it for the anonymous again. That was a dumb idea. If people are really interested in hiring someone they will not mind disclosing a little bit about who they are and their company first. That method saved my ass the other day. They have to contact me personally before they get their hands on my info. Duh. Seemed like a good idea for a long time. It's just not. Heh.

I screened these guys the other day before I sent the resume. The ad on craigslist seemed pretty legit. (office position admin. assist.) This is a snippet of their response:

Position Description:
Your responsibilities will involve processing responses from online ads (this
process is fully covered in the step-by-step training.) You may choose to work
part-time or full-time, and earn $1000-$3000+ per week. You do not have to contact
anyone by phone. All you need is a computer with a valid e-mail address and
basic typing skills. Each ad takes approx. 15-20 minutes to process - you will have a
virtually unlimited amount of ads so you may work as much as you want and
at the time you choose. There is no contract to sign and the amount of work you
choose to do is up to you. This opportunity has unlimited possibilities - a
perfect option for stay at home moms or dads, college students or anyone who
wants their work to revolve around their life, and not the other way around.

Compensation:
You will be paid $25 to $35 for each ad that you process, depending on the ad
you choose. Payments will be made directly to you. The typical rep will make
$60-80/day with at least 2-3 hours of work.

How ironic, processing fake ads, like the one you responded to. F'ing great.

Last edited by Cicero; 04-09-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #175
elSicomoro

I didn't quite yank my resume--I decided to change my settings to anonymous for now--but I'm still getting shitty job offers. I think I'll actually hide the resumes tonight.

I have absolutely no sales experience...mostly training/development and management. How the fuck do people translate that to being good in sales? Fuck that...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #176
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Still no word from the temp agency...considering joining up at another one, and also going around begging for jobs...or something...I dunno.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #177
elSicomoro

I think I was signed up with 4 or 5 at one point when I lived in Philly. When one pissed me off, I'd call another. Fortunately, the last one I was with was very good to me.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #178
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I went to a reputable one here in town the day before yesterday. I went by there because I accidently ended up at an interview for vaccuum cleaner sales. They wasted my time and they knew it..I haven't gotten a call back, nor the phone call they said I would get within 24 hours (from the agency). I think I got something good anyway. We shall see today! Cross your fingers, it sounds awesome. And doesn't include me leaving the house and commuting, wasting a lot of gas!

The last time I had a position with a temp. company I went through a buy-out situation but went with another job after 3 months. (A job the temp. company did not know about or get to have a say in) So I don't think I am welcome back to that one, though they were good and definitely acted as agents for me. Some agencies are better than others, and there are less jobs to fill here (definitely a recession)so having someone represent you for permanent hire is not a bad idea. Some of the agencies here have people that represent you like an agent, and talk you up more than you would be able to, so it works out if people are willing to buy you out instead of just hiring someone that came in without an agency.

Of course I haven't signed any paperwork with the temp/permanent hire people yet, so I can do what I want! And if they don't call me back like they said, I won't be.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #179
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

this jackson-pratt drain is pinching and hurting me. it's really bugging.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #180
monster
I hear them call the tide

When can you get rid of it?

Tags
mild cheddar