The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 01-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Train Travel

If you're traveling by train from to anywhere, the man in seat 61 will give you the straight poop.

Quote:
Train travel is a more rewarding, low-stress alternative to flying, which brings us closer to the countries we visit and reduces our contribution to climate change. It's time to rediscover the pleasure, romance & adventure of travel by train or ship. This site explains how to travel comfortably & affordably by train or ferry where you might think air was now the only option. For help with train travel, ask the Man in Seat 61!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:44 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I don't think that I am being controversial when I say that rail travel in the UK is often perceived as complex and expensive.
An in depth knowledge of the byzantine ticketing system is a helpful starting point for anyone wishing to undertake a railway journey.
Very often tickets are beset by all manner of terms and conditions which seem to have been imposed with the sole intention of catching out the unwary traveller.
This usually results in the full fare for the journey being imposed in addition to the fare already paid.

Bizarrely it is possible to pay less for a journey by 'split ticketing'.
As an illustration, let's say that you wish to travel from London-Kings Cross to Newcastle.
It might well be cheaper to buy a ticket from Kings Cross to York and another from York to Newcastle.
You stay on the train and probably have the same seat. It's perfectly within the terms and conditions and the only requirement is that the train is scheduled to stop at the intermediate station.

If faced with that journey I think I'd fly from either Luton or Heathrow.
The cost and time involved travelling to either of those airports probably wouldn't be much different to that of Kings Cross.
And there's no risk of having to stand for half the journey.

Last edited by Carruthers; 01-22-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

All well and good if your just considering point A to point B as quickly/efficiently as possible. But you're overlooking the adventure, intrigue, mystery, and romance of the trains.
What if Agatha Christie had been a flier?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
All well and good if your just considering point A to point B as quickly/efficiently as possible. But you're overlooking the adventure, intrigue, mystery, and romance of the trains.
What if Agatha Christie had been a flier?
There's more than enough mystery and intrigue in the timetable and ticketing system for anyone!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think it was over £200 round-trip, London St Pancras to Derby, if booked in exactly the worst way (last minute, direct, at a window)?

(They told me I did it wrong, but when your employer is paying for it, and doesn't give you any instructions....)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I think it was over £200 round-trip, London St Pancras to Derby, if booked in exactly the worst way (last minute, direct, at a window)?

(They told me I did it wrong, but when your employer is paying for it, and doesn't give you any instructions....)
'Dynamic pricing' at its best. Otherwise known as being held to ransom.

Fares rose 3.1% (in most cases) earlier this month.

Quote:
UK rail fares will rise by 3.1% in January, the Rail Delivery Group has said.

New fares published on Friday will add hundreds of pounds to many commuters’ annual travel from 2 January 2019.

Fares rose at the start of this year by 3.4%, slightly below the 3.6% cap set for regulated fares.

Passenger groups had demanded a freeze after widespread disruption this year, particularly on Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) and Northern services, after the botched introduction of a new timetable in May.

Northern fares will rise by slightly more than the industry average, 3.2%. More disruption is expected on Northern trains on Saturday due to an RMT strike, although the company and union are now in talks to avert further planned industrial action.

GTR said its fares would rise at just below 3%, while C2C (2.6%) and Chiltern (2.8%) were implementing the lowest rises among those companies which had revealed their plans.

Britain’s rail fares have grown faster than wages, with real pay having fallen in the last decade.
Link

If you have the misfortune to be a daily commuter into London you really do pay through the nose.
It's a business model that would have made Al Capone blush.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I wouldn't travel (via any mode of transportation) in London if they paid me.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
glatt

I think you would enjoy a canal boat ride.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Doubtful.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I wouldn't travel (via any mode of transportation) in London if they paid me.
Not even this one?
Old 01-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Heh, I started to say I've got one and don't travel there either.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

For many years, I dreamed of taking the American Orient Express Antebellum Tour. Expensive as shit, but the most amazing, high-luxe historical tour of everything between DC/New Orleans a body could hope for.

I'm so depressed to find out that the AOE went out of business in 2008. I used to get their trip catalogs every year in the mail, and pored over every page, word by word. I never really thought about why I no longer received the catalogs. Now I know why. For years, I hoped that someday I'd have enough money to take the tour, but W's 2008 wipe-out of the economy apparently killed the whole thing.

Fuck.

Of course, my experience on a train trip from Portland OR to Simi Valley CA was such a fucked-up thing (contracted pneumonia) that my enthusiasm for train travel is well dampened. But still . . .

I WANT TO RIDE THE AOE!!!!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't put off till tomorrow what you can't afford today.
Use your credit, go out on a limb, it's the American way.

Rails being rails, the Tube counts...
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I think you would enjoy a canal boat ride.
That's canal, not anal.

And you never know until you try, Digr
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Are these London canal boat rides hosted in boats?

Then I'm doubtful.

Also, are these London canal boat rides in America?

Then I'm doubtful.

Will there be other people on these London canal boat rides?

Then I'm doubtful.

Will there be anyone besides me driving these London canal boat rides?

Then I'm doubtful.