The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #46
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Or it's a rail and subway system... wait, that would be Tramsylvania. If there were woods.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #47
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Getting to know the Hitlers

My inquiries to discover what had happened to him eventually led me to a small cemetery tucked beside a freeway in Long Island, where I found that Brigid and William Patrick shared the same grave. He died in 1987, 18 years after his mother, in the anonymity he craved for much of his life. His family even considered leaving the grave unmarked, but decided instead to bury him under the false name that had brought him peace.

I discovered that William Patrick had first met his wife Phyllis in Germany in the 1930s through her brother. With war looming, the brother had asked William Patrick to look after Phyllis in New York and dispatched the girl - who was 12 years younger than Hitler - into his safekeeping. Romance blossomed and the couple married after the war in 1947.

Their three surviving sons - Alex, 52, Louis, 50, and Brian, 36 - fiercely guard their privacy and their family secret. Alex is a social worker and his brothers run a gardening business.

Their father, they told me, was wounded in action during the war and later set up a blood analysis laboratory in the home he moved to in the countryside to escape from prying eyes.

None of the three sons has married, and there are no children. Alex initially denied that there had been a pact between the brothers to ensure that the Hitler line was not continued. Then he told me: "Maybe my other two brothers did [make a pact], but I never did." It was just one more contradiction to add to the many that already cloud his family history.

(continues)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...Num=3#continue
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #48
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Who? Ok. How are these people related to Hitler again? Help! What does it all mean?!?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #49
TheMercenary

Phyllis was Hitlers younger sister. She married Patrick and moved to NY before the war. They had 3 boys who survive and have had no children.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #50
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
William Patrick was the son of Adolf Hitler's half-brother, Alois, but there was little family affection: "Uncle Adolf" referred to William Patrick as "my loathsome nephew".
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #51
Clodfobble

Fake Bus Stop for Alzheimer's Patients

Quote:
A German nursing home has created a pretend bus stop to prevent Alzheimer's patients from wandering off. The bus stop, outside the Benrath Senior Centre in Dusseldorf, is an exact replica of a standard stop but no buses call there.

"It sounds funny," said Old Lions Chairman Franz-Josef Goebel, "but it helps. Their short-term memory hardly works at all, but the long-term memory is still active. They know the green and yellow bus sign and remember that waiting there means they will go home."

"We will approach them and say that the bus is coming later today and invite them in to the home for a coffee," said Mr. Neureither. "Five minutes later they have completely forgotten they wanted to leave."

The idea has proved so successful that it has now been adopted by several other old folks' homes across Germany.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #52
TheMercenary

that is great clod. good move on the part of the home.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #53
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Firemen feel fire is a complete let down:

Quote:
Rubbish blaze
By Kathie Griffiths
Firefighters from Brighouse had to tackle a rubbish fire in a lift at a block of executive flats earlier today. No-one was hurt but it is believed the lift was at the top floor when the fire started.
From the Bradford Telegraph & Argus
Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #54
Ibby
erika

see, sundae, that isnt funny to us yanks. we gotta think too hard.
to us, its abundantly clear that its a fire that started in a pile of trash, on account of us never using 'rubbish' as an adjective.

or maybe im just less than sober
Old 06-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #55
Clodfobble

Oh. I get it now. Thanks, Ibby.

I thought maybe it was a "let down" because the elevator came down from the top floor...
Old 06-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #56
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oops, thanks for the translation.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #57
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

lol. That's just down the road from me :P It comes under our borough.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:18 AM   #58
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Was sent to me from my friend in the area
Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #59
TheMercenary

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- City code enforcement officials have ordered a controversial underground swingers club to stop hosting sexually themed parties by the end of Thursday or face fines of up to $250 a day.

Melbourne officials and an irritated landlord want to close the Hunt Club which is based inside a house in the rustic Oak Groves subdivision, nestled among acre-lot estates, horse stables and backyard fish ponds along the Turtle Mound Road corridor.

Club operators Richard Spalding and Kirsi Page face $250 daily code enforcement fines if they host swingers' parties after Thursday.

Recent examples of their events have been "Naughty Girls, Ice Cream and High Heels Social," a pajama party and a paper-mask masquerade, according to various Web sites.

In a Tuesday e-mail to Code Enforcement Administrator Dan Porsi, Page contended that her club is a private group, not a business, Local 6 News partner Florida Today reported. She stated that Melbourne officials were "making up ridiculous fines and singling out a few people to persecute."

"Fully grown adults will not tolerate being told who they can and cannot have sex with," Page wrote. "Twisting existing laws or making up new ones to punish people for their sex lives is not only arrogant and misguided, but also corrupt in the sense that you are using your political position to impose your favored sexual practices on someone else."

Penny Hanson, who owns the Beth Lane home, is evicting Spalding and Page, City Hall records show. A lease termination notice was delivered to the house, effective June 30. Otherwise, beginning July 1, the club operators must start paying double rent, or $123.33 per day.

Porsi gave the club until Thursday to cease swingers' activities. Otherwise, the Melbourne code enforcement board could consider the matter during its July 30 meeting -- and levy daily fines of up to $250.

Previously, The Hunt Club asked party attendees for $40 donations, and the club sought $60,000 from investors to build an eight-bedroom complex. But in her e-mail to Porsi, Page stated that her organization violates no local laws.

"We have our friends over for parties. Yes, people at our parties consume alcohol. It is not against the law to have friends over to your house for fun," Page wrote. "That does not constitute the operation of a business."

The Hunt Club featured a stripper pole and stage, swinging sex chair and a bedroom that was converted into an "observation room," Police Chief Don Carey said in April.

http://www.local6.com/news/16583258/detail.html
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #60
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

lol!

That fake bus stop is so cruel!! lol!!