The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #721
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For the last few months the TV has been flooded with ads for replacement windows, Renewal by Anderson, in particular.
It sounds like a first class operation, it also sounds expensive, but hey you get what you pay for... or less.

Yesterday I got a hand addressed envelope the size and shape of a Valentines Day card. Silly bunny.
Inside was a letter and business card from the General Manager of Renewals by Anderson for the Philadelphia area.
Her name is Kristin Gardner. Imagine that, a woman running that whole operation.

The question that comes to mind, is she serious, or just wants to use me for a sex toy and discard me?

Kirstin, if you find this in a vanity search, it's a joke.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #722
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If she sees this, she may want to remodel the windows to your soul.

Quote:
Name:  Kristin Gardner.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  9.5 KB
Kristin Gardner
Kristin came to RBA in 2009 as the accounting manager after having worked in the new home construction business for 7 years. After graduating from Villanova University with her MBA in 2011, she was promoted to the operations manager handling both the financial aspects of the business in addition to managing the operations. Working with the most dedicated and FUN professionals in the window business makes coming to work every day a real joy. She takes pride in helping to find solutions to any issues that arise and to making sure our customers have the best experience possible when working with RBA. A happy customer is a reminder of the job we strive to do every day and it’s great to know that the hard work and time we put in really get results. It’s the best reward! Kristin enjoys spending time with her RBA family – from family fun days at Dorney Park to company bowling tournaments and BBQs, she loves that the “Philly Family” can always have a good time together! How many people can say they love to come to work to spend the day with friends?
Personally, Kristin grew up in New Jersey and Switzerland. She loves skiing, travelling and is obsessed with Instagram! She now lives in New Jersey with her husband Matt and new baby, Grace and her four-legged child, Morgan, the dog.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #723
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A wonderful interview with Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Quote:
Well, emotions like anger, remorse, and jealousy are not productive. They will not accomplish anything, so you must keep them under control. In the days when I was a flaming feminist litigator, I never said to judges who asked improper questions, “You sexist pig.”

I’ll tell you one such incident. So I was arguing a case in Trenton, New Jersey, before a three-judge federal district court and one said, “Well, women are doing fine these days, opportunities are equal for them everywhere.” And I said, “Your honor, flight training isn’t available to women.” “Oh,” he said, “even in the military they have equal opportunity,” and I answered him with flight training is not available. His response to me was, “Oh, don’t tell me that, women have been in the air forever, I know from experience with my own wife and daughter.” So what is my comeback? “I’ve met some men who don’t have their feet planted firmly on the ground.” You don’t see that anymore, but in the 70s when judges knew it was improper to make racist jokes, women were still fair game.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #724
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Very interesting.

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #725
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excellent, Dana!
We have met the enemy, and they are us.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #726
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It's often the way. I know I found that out when I was a councillor. There's nothing like working with 'the enemy' on a shared goal and responsibility to make you question your certitude.

Local politics (probably national as well come to that) is funny in that way. On the one hand you have the elections and the council meetings that tend to be very party focused, while on the other hand, you find yourself on various committees where the accepted norm is you try to leave the party politics at the door as you walk in - because now it's about the nuts and bolts of providing various services and achieving various small goals - and then meta-narratives aren't really very helpful. At that point, you're really just a group of people grappling with a practical issue.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #727
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The glass ceiling..
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #728
glatt

According to the first chart, in 2014, 95% of US residents did not agree with the statement that men should have more rights to a job when times are tough. Up from 80% fifteen years earlier. I think that's pretty good.

And things are consistently improving everywhere except India.

Too bad the data ends in 2014. In the US, things were improving dramatically, but with the election of Trump, I bet they have slipped and gotten worse again.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #729
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Cosmo Girl in 1967...
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #730
sexobon

"The Gender Equality Checkpoint"

Hmmm, what would the phonetic equivalent to Checkpoint Charlie be for this thread ... Checkpoint G-String?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #731
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mary Bara, General Motors CEO and Chair(wo)man of the board, took a pay cut in 2017 with a total compensation of only $21.96 million. She got $22.58 million the year before. Gotta keep them bitches in line you know.

link
Old 06-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #732
sexobon

Congratulations women, you've finally made it!

Quote:
After 80 Years, The Barbershop Harmony Society Will Allow Women To Join
Name:  Barbershop Quartet.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  82.0 KB
If you're at all familiar with the modern perception of barbershop singing, you might have guessed that one of its leading organizations, the Barbershop Harmony Society, was an all-male — and all-white — organization at the time of its founding in 1938. The organization opened to people of color in 1963, as the country was living within the crucible of the civil rights movement. For 80 years, though, it remained closed to women. Until yesterday. ...
Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #733
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They were helping the war effort but also angling for the vote... it worked.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #734
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Look at that hoe!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #735
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

An interesting read, the year of the woman.

Quote:
According to our data, women have won 65 percent (90 of 138) of decided open Democratic primary races featuring at least one man and one woman. About 46 percent of all women who ran for office won the nomination — a stat we’ll call “win rate.” Men’s win rate has been just 23 percent (although part of their lower win rate is simply that more male candidates are competing against each other and, obviously, only one person can win each race). Women make up 48 percent (114 out of 2384) of the Democratic nominees in primaries that have been decided so far even though only 32 percent (263 of 811) of the candidates we analyzed were women. So, women are clearly having greater success than men.

In fact, all else being equal, being a woman has been worth an additional 10 percentage points over being a man in the open Democratic primaries we looked at.5 That’s one of the two biggest effects we found among all the variables we looked at. (The other variable with a similarly sized effect was having previously held elected office — more on this in a moment.)

Tags
once an asshole