The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #31
Nikolai
Greener than the rest

Kinda be funny if every time the cut down a football filed sized area of rainforest, that they turned it into a footbal field, sure it will keep people happy, gives something for that natives to do after there homes have been torn down by loggers, watch it US Brazil are going to have a kick ass footbal team in a few years
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #32
rkzenrage

I purchase gifts from The Hunger Site all the time. I am wearing a Literacy Site bracelet right now.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #33
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I have a slight ethical paradox with the hunger site.

If we don't feed the people today they will starve.

If we feed the people today and they continue to grow at the rate they have, more mouths will have to be fed. That means people are going to starve inevitably in the future unless we give more food, but then the cycle may continue.

We don't want them to starve today but if we feed them today, the next generation will have more people and then the people of the next generation will starve.

Besides industrialization (microfinancing), this paradox is really annoying ethically.
ph45, you seem genuinely troubled by the long term consequences of such a seeming act of charity. I was recently came across a modest proposal which will perhaps set your mind at ease. Read it; I'm sure you'll admire the self contained efficiency and elegant of this can't lose plan. Go on. You'll feel better, I'm sure.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #34
rkzenrage

Charity see the need not the cause.
German Proverb

BTW, I shop there mainly because they have nice stuff at a fair price... that it does good for many is a GREAT bonus!
Please check it out, just in case.