The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #556
Griff
still says videotape

I've come to realize that fitness is always a work in progress. Old injuries try to get in the way, work gets in the way, important commitments get in the way so I commit to my exercise routine especially on the days I'm not feeling it. It helps that my riding partner is a true hyper-competitive hard-ass. I'm pretty tenacious but he really has a vision of how fit he intends to be when he hits retirement. I have a base minimum of 3 fitness activities a week. I'm doing two fencing nights and one mountain biking morning and just lately I've added some youtubed pilates routines which help my lower back and hamstrings. I'm coming to grips with the reality that I cannot eat like I used to and still keep the weight off with enough exercise. Right now I'm a pretty fit guy with a substantial gut which could wreck my back, so I'm slowly cutting back on the chow.

Bottom line: I find activities which I enjoy and commit to them and now and then I get an endorphin rush so strong I'm worried the suits in Washington might try to ban it.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #557
glatt

It also helps if it's built into your routine. I walk every day to the metro and back. Have to. So that's 40 minutes of moderate exercise every single week day. No getting out of it. Then I do other stuff on top of that, when I'm motivated.

Jim, I know you are close to work, but are you close enough to walk? Would you feel comfortable riding a bike there, or are the roads terrible for that? It would be great if you could build exercise into your daily routine like that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #558
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm gonna throw a bike question here. So, I finally have a chance to go biking. I'm thinking of going along with my cousin on a bike trail. I bought a bmx bike a long time ago because my legs are too short to reach the ground with even the smallest mountain bikes. And I was too afraid to ride one that I could not reach the ground because I wasn't confident about my biking ability. (Didn't want to fall off the side of the mountain. Bought it to ride the trails in the mountain.) When I told him I have a bmx, he said I won't be able to ride a 7 mile trail with it. So, I'm wondering if you (thinking of Griff but anyone else with the knowledge could answer) think I would be able to pull a 7 mile trail ride with my bmx bike?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #559
glatt

It depends on the trail conditions. If you were riding on flat paved or gravel trails, you could do 7 miles easy. 7 miles is nothing. But he knows the trails you will be going on, and I don't. If they are really steep with lots of climbing and obstacles, and your bike doesn't have low gears, you could have trouble.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #560
Griff
still says videotape

Yeah, if its really a rail to trail or similar you can do it but if there is climbing to be done a single speed bmx may be too hard on your knees. There are women specific frame builders out there. We carried Terry at the shop I worked at BITD. Their sizes work for small women although their prices may not. Trek has a women's line as well.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #561
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

It's 2.6 miles. I should walk, but then I'd I get out at 11pm.... That's gonna suck
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #562
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks, guys! I'll attempt it with my bmx. I think the trail is a paved bike trail in a park. Gonna double check with my cousin. I'm finally able to take Griff's advice in doing what I enjoy. In addition to biking, I'm gonna try out crossfit tomorrow. I didn't have a chance to thank Griff for his advice a while back. Thank you, Griff!
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #563
glatt

Take a water bottle. Sounds fun.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #564
Griff
still says videotape

Excellent!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #565
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Bicycling for ladies : with hints as to the art of wheeling, advice to beginners, dress, care of the bicycle, mechanics, training, exercise, etc., etc. by Maria E. Ward. Published in 1896.

Ms Ward was more than a casual rider, this 200 page book covers it all. From care and feeding of the bike, to care and feeding of the rider, to handing rejection by old hands. The three dozen illustrations are mostly pictures of her, walking the walk.

She sounds like a cool person with her shit together. You can see the pages here.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #566
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hot on your tail...

Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #567
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Man. I hate when that happens.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #568
glatt

I approve. Simple, but very cool.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #569
Griff
still says videotape

Neat idea.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #570
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten