The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

11/23/2004: Moving house

Bloomington Illinois had this historic house, the Mandel-Cohn house, and it was located on a stretch of land that a particular church wanted to buy. So they just picked the house up and rolled it down Front Street to its new location.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

I'm glad they didnt just smash it up. Its pretty.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

A guy in Binghamton had a victorian he wanted to move unfortunately the power companies numbers for moving power lines was obscene. That put the kibash of a pretty good idea... I'm not sure if the place is toothpicks yet. I'm with tw we need to bury these ugly cables for lots of reasons.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Everybody on my school bus understood that if you put your hand out the window, it could be sheared off by accident.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
axlrosen
Major Inhabitant

Is it just me, or does it not look like it's going to fit between those trees?
axlrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

I'm with you warch, I'm glad they didn't just take the easy way out like most people would these days, and demolish it. It's a very pretty house and worth saving.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:12 PM   #7
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

It would be great if they banned above ground utilities.Not only are they dangerous, but they are downright unsightly.
I know you all remember the IOTD a couple months ago entitled "Hung Moose". I bet he would agree. ... If he weren't dead.
Next time I move (god forbid) I may consider this technique. Wouldn't that be cool. Just sit on the sofa and wait till you get to your new locale. Oh, wait! I would have to unplug my desktop. Always a catch!
Very nice house. I appreciate those folks for preserving it. You can't get that type of house built these days. If it were built recently it would fall to peices en route.
I always wondered how they kept the chimneys from collapsing. Now I know. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For the last couple of years every house I've seen or heard about being moved was because a church wanted the land.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:42 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlrosen
Notice the limbs have been trimmed. In the foreground the tree on the left has been trimmed just a little because there's none on the right. Slalom.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

o/' our house.......in the middel of the street.....our house....`\o

c'mon, you were ALL thinking of that song.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:12 PM   #11
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I'm still looking for the "two cats in the yard"
Old 11-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
For the last couple of years every house I've seen or heard about being moved was because a church wanted the land.
They moved that stone one in the intersection in front of King of Prussia mall a few years ago to put more 202 down. That was pretty cool...

A church would definitely not fit there. (bottom right)
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2004, 07:44 PM   #13
observer
Questionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlrosen
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think it's already been through the trees. No one would push something that big, they would pull it. I think the house is going away from the camera. Anyone that's attempted to backup with a trailer would know how hard it would be to push something like that in a straight line.

-r.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

A close friend bought a house from the hospital for $1 and moved it a little over 1 mile. The story and details (including moving telephone and power lines) was quite interesting. Everyone had to have their piece of the action.

Even the foundation was put in about 6 inches too large meaning a new foundation was built under the house as house sat waiting overhead for its new 'feet'.

Back then, $5000 to move lines. He took off the second floor walls and laid them on the deck. Less than $500.

Because it was on county roads, it had to be fumigated so that rats did not run on county property. Fire Department had to have an engine in the procession in case house caught fire while in movement.

City demanded that Ashplund Tree service be part of the procession in case tree branches might be cracked.

Railroad demanded that flagmen be one mile each side of a bridge in case a train might pass through while house passed over RR on bridge.

Of course there were the expected members of that caravan including two police cars, county highway engineer, city tree surgeon, etc.

He says he made money. I am not so sure. Moving the house literally broke every water pipe. All sheetrock had to be removed and plumbing redone. When we tried to restore roof, the rafters were so destroyed in the removal that we had to put on a whole new roof. Then it rained for days. Oak flooring was fixed by wall to wall carpet.

A building has to be something special to move. But the contractor (Billy) who moved it was brother of the man who created Wiechart Realtors. Billy did it because he had never done anything like that before - and thought it would be fun. My friend did it to ... well everything he touches sooner or later always turned into gold. No one else would have done what he did. He was an amazing person.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #15
lookout123
changed his status to single

My hometown in Illinois saw something similar about 10-15 years ago. it was one of the historic John Deere Family homes that sat on the property of their corporate headquarters. the company needed the land to put in another office building but didn't want to destroy the old home so they donated it. A new church about 4 miles up the road had to pay to move it, but they received a beautiful victorian home for their pastor to live in free of charge.