The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #241
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I was checking out a list of top indie films for last year at Indiewire, and came across this film synopsis.

http://www.indiewire.com/film/goodbye-to-language

Quote:
Synopsis: The idea is simple: A married woman and a single man meet. They love, they argue, fists fly. A dog strays between town and country. The seasons pass. The man and woman meet again. The dog finds itself between them. The other is in one, the one is in the other and they are three. The former husband shatters everything. A second film begins: the same as the first, and yet not. From the human race we pass to metaphor. This ends in barking and a baby's cries. In the meantime, we will have seen people talking of the demise of the dollar, of truth in mathematics and of the death of a robin.
I expect it will come as a surprise to nobody that it is a French film :p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #242
it
Banned

I was late to the party and wasn't' able to generate the youtube discussion I hoped for in one of the very few youtube channels that actually have compelling discussions more often then troll wars, so... I might as well put this here and see what happens:

Perhaps We both advertise our connection to the childhood and doing so out of nostalgia, not directly as a desire to relive the object from our childhood but as a desire to relive the means for social esteem from our childhood, thus the need to socially advertise, simply because the means of esteem in our childhood are a lot more easily accessible to us then the means for esteem as adults, with every piece of media we ever seen accessible at any moment as the carrot, but economically depressive times with huge unemployment as the stick.

Or maybe it is nothing but accessibility? My inner cynic would offer a much simpler explanation, pointing at data mining, pirating and streaming as more obvious sources: In the past the only real way for producers to know what is popular was sales of mostly recently released media, and most of the accessible media was the most recently released media.
In a world where you are able to access nearly every piece of media ever created, there is a good chance what you'll access might not be the most recent one, and there's a good chance that someone is selling a publisher a file in which you are a line on a spread sheet where you together with other people can let some analyst in a company meeting say "Hey, look how many people are still into ninja turtles", and the reason we are watching those is simply because in a few clicks away, we can, and we are more likely to look for something we know of because.. We know of it.

Would we still do it without the stick? Would we still be spending that time bindging on old media if more of us got to do more fulfilling jobs were more likely to start families at younger ages and so on? Maybe not, maybe in gaining more esteem in the present our ideas of our positive experiences would be more grounded in the present. But I would speculate that the answer is... Yes, yes we would. Because even with less free time you'd still be able to choose among a much larger spectrum of media from different times and the most recent would still not necessarily be the best choice available.

And maybe that's alright - What if instead of thinking of it as recycled material from the past, think of it as people going to a museum to re-experience art pieces of the past, a very advanced museum that is able to get a [Statistically significant] reading of us as an audience and retouch the old pieces with changing preferences and sensibilities... Because it knows it can make a lot of money. Production motives aside, this suggests to me a more long term memory of cultural icons, which is significantly richer better then the world where we all simply followed the latest releases of whatever was thrown at us.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #243
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm a little tired. I was at work this morning at 830, after limited sleep. Thank you Twil for calling and waking me and giving me a chance to get to work on time, after wearing out the snooze button on my alarm.

Now I'm home. I watered the flowers. I've fed myself (NY strip steak, sauteed mushrooms and onions, caesar salad with mushrooms and carrots, no corn tonight, and a reaaallly big G&T. Really big. Last night I put the leftovers of the previous XL G/T, about 16 oz, in the freezer. It was solid tonight, the perfect icecube for a genuinely big G/T. Also, some leftover garlic naan and potato/pesto naan.) Fucking Nom.

AAAannnnyhow.

just hanging out with y'all now. I have on my "list" a trip to the beach/buff to take a sunseting picture of (near) the solstice. But that was a pretty big drink. I have an hour, so... we'll see.

Meantime, I'm just indulging myself in your posts from the last day or so. Thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #244
monster
I hear them call the tide

Is it worth the IVF and everything to have triplets to name Gerry, Ronnie and Mo?
Old 06-28-2015, 05:28 AM   #245
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Why else would you go through all of that?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #246
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just grab triplets from the SPCA.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #247
monster
I hear them call the tide

Scotland's Pretend Celts Association?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #248
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, those animals too.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #249
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Today, July 5th, Earth At Aphelion Day. At approximately 4 p.m., Earth will be at the furthest point from the sun in its orbit —the aphelion—at a distance of about 94,510,000 miles. So run around naked, how could it burn you from that far away.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #250
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Pics, or it didn't happen.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #251
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Instructions for my new sunglasses, I could read the page labeled EN.
I could not read the pages labeled SL, PL, BG, RO, IT, FR, ES, GR, DK, FI, RU, DE, PT, HL, SE, ET, CN, SK, CZ, H, LT, TR, or LV.
If the Stewarts had done a better job we wouldn’t need all these pages.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #252
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  mayberry.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  74.8 KB

One other Mayberry marriage comes to mind. The guy who ran the fix-it shop (Hank, or, Henry, maybe Emmett) was featured in an episode where the wife wanted him to retire.

Anybody know if they ever addressed what happened to Opie's mother? I've missed that, I think.

Wiki:

Quote:
Opie's mother is mentioned only once in the series. In "Wedding Bells for Aunt Bee", Andy tells Opie he had a love for the boy's mother similar to the love Aunt Bee feels for her beau. Other than this one mention, Opie's mother is non-existent on the show. There are no photographs of her in the house, or other souvenirs, and no one mentions a grave. She apparently has no relatives in Mayberry such as parents or siblings as Opie never mentions grandparents or aunts and uncles except those on his paternal side. In the backdoor pilot episode from The Danny Thomas Show, viewers learn Andy lost Opie's mother when the boy was "the least little speck of a baby."

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 07-14-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #253
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
In the pilot episode it is mentioned that Opies mother died when he was "just the least speck of a baby". We learned Barney was the best man at the wedding and Andy was very much in love with his wife. We never learn her name or much more history. We also know Barney is Opies godfather. Some have specualted that maybe she died during Opies birth but their was never proof of that info in the series.
link
Old 07-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #254
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Instructions for my new sunglasses
1. open glasses
2. place on face, with side arms over the tops of ears
3. push onto face until bridge sits securely on nose
4. for safety, remove glasses when conditions become dark

1. vidrios abiertos
2. lugar en la cara, con los brazos laterales sobre las copas de los oídos
3. empuje en la cara hasta que el puente se sienta segura en la nariz
4. para la seguridad, quite las gafas cuando las condiciones se vuelven oscuras

1. verres ouvertes
2. placer sur le visage, les bras secondaires sur les sommets des oreilles
3. Appuyez sur le visage jusqu'à ce que le pont soit solidement placée sur le nez
4. pour la sécurité, retirer les verres lorsque les conditions deviennent sombres

1.打开眼镜
2.将脸,侧臂在耳朵顶部
3.按压于脸部,直到桥安全地坐在鼻子上
4.安全,摘掉眼镜时的条件变得黑暗
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #255
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

faux polyglot savant
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote