The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #526
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thanks.

I wish I could give up car ownership. It's impossible here. There's no public transport to speak of and there isn't much within walking distance. Even if I, say, moved into town and got a job somewhere nearby I'd still need to get to my family's places. I know a couple women who don't drive, though. But they have husbands and don't go to see their families often. Being carless would take away my independence...and I'm the absolute worst in asking for help.

It's just bumming me out. Still waiting for the call with the final estimate.

I appreciate that you care. It's really just first world problems but still...
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 AM   #527
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Actually I had intended to say I know things are different here, but brain to finger communication failed.
I've chosen everywhere I've lived because of access to public transport; and that's not censure, it's just something that is possible here.
It's hard and it hurts when I'm so far away from home, but it IS cheaper and it IS accessible and that is the difference.

Yeah, tell me all about first world problems.
My Mum and my Godfather are having Masses said for me. Because I am depressed and alcoholic. I know they mean well, I know I mean a lot to them. But why should I mean more to God than orphaned African children born with AIDs, or people with no access to clean water, or 12 year old addicts in favelas who started out as drug runners and now shoot up to cancel out what they have seen?

Eta - the above is aimed at me and the futility of my existence and not at you.
It's all relative, and I don't for one second think your problem is unimportant. One of the remaining Strawberry Festival Queens has to keep her head above water.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #528
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's bumming your stone today?

Well, first, I woke up. Then, I continued breathing. And then, I didn't fall over dead.

It's pretty much been downhill from there.

Ah well, it'll all be over with sooner or later...

...just, when?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #529
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Well, first, I woke up. Then, I continued breathing. And then, I didn't fall over dead.
Well - it's a start :p

Quote:
Ah well, it'll all be over with sooner or later...

...just, when?
It ain't over til the fat lady sings. Imma gag that fat bitch just to make sure.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #530
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You can take off the gag,
I promise not to sing again.
(but leave me my lips. They shape words even in silence)
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #531
Nirvana
Back in 10

Two women at work bum my stone. They feel a need to be snippy to me and the only reason I can see is that I am not pitiful, I am happy most of the time. My solution is to avoid any kind of personal conversation. I don't know how else to deal with a situation where someone has a chip on their shoulder and they are always approaching me to knock it off.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #532
infinite monkey

Eh, Nirvana...some women are just like that at work. We've come a long way, baby. Sometimes. I would want to just smack them, but I wouldn't. Vent here, so you don't do some much needed bitch-slappin'!

I'm carless for the whole weekend. (Not careless, carless.) I've trusted this mechanic for years, though some have bad stories. That's how that world works. "Oh, you should've taken it here, or you should have taken it there." Well thanks. Where were you with your oh so sage advice when I needed to get my car fixed? Whatever. Everybody has all that great "you should have" shit when I already tried to do something. I love being told I did stuff wrong. Makes me feel young again.

They were supposed to call me on Friday to let me know a final estimate. No call. I hadn't the mental energy to overcome my phone aversion and call and ask them. At this point 'no news is bad news.' And I couldn't stop in because, well, no car.

They stopped being open on Saturday years ago. Making too much money I guess. When my friends took me to the store today we drove by and I waved at my car, sitting outside in the lot.

I guess having no transportation and not going where I want, when I want, is a humbling experience for me. But hopefully, with the holiday weekend and all, I'll have a car Tuesday or Wednesday. Meantime, can't go hang with dad, brothers are both on long weekends away, and I'm bummy bum bum.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #533
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Have you tried masturbation? (ya might try it on the mechanic, too)

It'll pass the time anyway...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #534
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

IM - you can probably fix your head lights by going to Auto Zone or O'Reillys and getting help putting in the bulbs. Your headlights me frosted also. They have a kit for that. I have seen ladies in distress at these part stores. The staff and gear heads are always glad to help.

Oil leak? It might be the rear seal. Crawl underneath and look for it. When you find it, wipe it clean and slather the area with Goop. Some guy is likely to do this for you too. These places run diagnostics for free and even loan tools.

The main thing to do is look helpless and let your eyes tear up. Mean will be tripping over each other to help.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #535
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I have a sore throat. I'm not sure if it's a cold coming on, or from karaoke on Friday night. I also feel exhausted, but that's because I've had a couple of crazy weeks. this week is a looking fairly quiet so far, so I think that's good.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #536
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
IM - you can probably fix your head lights by going to Auto Zone or O'Reillys and getting help putting in the bulbs. Your headlights me frosted also. They have a kit for that. I have seen ladies in distress at these part stores. The staff and gear heads are always glad to help.

Oil leak? It might be the rear seal. Crawl underneath and look for it. When you find it, wipe it clean and slather the area with Goop. Some guy is likely to do this for you too. These places run diagnostics for free and even loan tools.

The main thing to do is look helpless and let your eyes tear up. Mean will be tripping over each other to help.
Sarge,

The headlight issue is recurring. The low beams are really really low. Like candles. Not frosted. Apparently it's a thing with Beetles. I did look online for directions on changing bulbs, the first time it happened...and it's not something I'm prepared to attempt. Well, I did start an attempt until I realized when they said it's very difficult 'cause everything is jam-packed in there they meant it.

Same with oil leak. Mark the Mechanic had to degrease the whole damn thing and they had to pull the transmission to find the leak in the engine. This is the other thing I am waiting for news for. Yep, everything is jam-packed in there.

Also, they said I need new brakes and rotors. Might as well get it all done and bite the bullet now. If they don't pronounce it dead. GAWD I'm freaking out.

Someone like glatt would probably have the skills to deal with the headlights (except, did I say before, they say there's no voltage to one side and have to trace that?) but I don't think most people are equipped to pull a transmission out.

It ain't looking good.

Picture is not my car but same make/model/year.

p.s. My own personal make/model/year doesn't net me much of guys tripping over themselves to help me anymore. They used to. And I hated that! Well, sometimes.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #537
infinite monkey

p.p.s.

My friends took me to the store the other day so I have everything I need, and though I'd like to go see my dad the rest of the family is out of town, and I don't really need to go anywhere, and a friend already called this morning to see if I needed anything or needed to go anywhere...but it's so weird not just jumping in the car when I want. It's like I've lost an appendage. I've had some sort of car to drive for almost 32 years. I can see why older people can be reluctant to stop driving; it really puts a damper on independence and that isn't a pleasant feeling.

All over a car. A material object. A 'nothing' in the grand scheme. Eh.

Where's my cottage with a garden and a horse that will carry me through the woods to the village where I can sell and purchase wares?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #538
glatt

I look at that engine and it just pisses me off. It's pretty typical of modern engines, so it's nothing unusual. But it's not designed to be worked on. You lift the hood and you still can't even see the engine because they put damn covers on top of it. There is no room in there to do anything.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #539
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So ya hafta take it to the dealer.

Just like they designed.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #540
infinite monkey

No, I didn't take it to the dealer. I took it to my long-term mechanic. As much as it's gonna cost, a dealer would cost way more.

Unless, of course, he tells me I'm gonna need to take it to the dealer.

Take Me To Your Dealer. Or not. Job hunting and all.

Tags
mozzarella