The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #391
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Cobb Salad. The ham is left over from earlier in the week, so all I have to do is boil the eggs and assemble. That's my favorite kind of prep time.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #392
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mini-roast dinner.
Mum cooking.
I ate separately, but then I mostly do after the enormous row about her coughing at the dinner table.

Mum used the 15 minute seasoning on some lamb steaks/ chops. It was mint-based and yummy. They had the steaks but Mum said they were chewy and tasteless. I had the chops (because they were from the freezer and an afterthought!) and they were moist and delicious. Although you barely got a bite of meat out of either once fat and bone were accounted for. Hence my problem with lamb.

It was a HUGE dinner anyway - I put half the potatoes, carrots & peas aside for lunch tomorrow. I was intending to save half the lamb, but that would have been ridiculous. Might take a slice of cooked chicken from the fridge.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #393
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

We had chicken satay last night. With saffron rice. It was good.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #394
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I think I'll drop by Wegman's after work. Last time I went, they had slabs of sushi grade raw tuna at the sushi bar. I need some more of that. I just wish they served beer like the one in Downingtown.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #395
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Had to move the older frozen chicken out of the freezer to make room for the new frozen chicken.

Browned the chicken, then had to figure out what to do with it ... found some orange marmalade in the cupboard, orange juice in the fridge, honeyed whiskey in the liquor cabinet, and for reasons that remain unclear, cinnamon in the spice drawer.

Cooked the chicken, reduced the sauce, did some rice and carrots for the sides.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #396
Aliantha

yum!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #397
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I'm having pasta with sausage and ragu sauce with Pizza Seasoning from Penzey's
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #398
chrisinhouston
Professor

Moose balls!!!

Well, not those kind of balls, AKA Rocky Mountain Oysters but basically meatballs made with a large proportion of ground moose meat, some high grade beef or buffalo meat and some Italian sausage.

Mixed it up with some Italian style seasonings, garlic, egg and bread crumbs and made golf ball size meat balls. Rolled them in some bread crumbs for a crunch and fried in a pan of olive oil and then finished in the oven.

Great with pasta, rice or potatoes and moose is a lot like beef as far as taste, not too gamey.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #399
chrisinhouston
Professor

Oh I forgot to add that I am using up last year's moose meat since my son shot a 1600 lb moose in Alaska and is planning on shipping some of it home along with about 100 lbs of King Salmon.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #400
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

That is great Chris!

I never do anything special for dinner anymore and tonight wasn't different, but...

We had Ham steaks, mashed potatoes (fake) and broccoli - all made by Son2! His first dinner made solo in well over 2 years!

(Maybe this belongs in the proud parent thread)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #401
Aliantha

We had tempura veges and thai style prawn cakes last night. It was yummy served with wasabi mayo.

Tonight I'm not sure, but it'll probably be something simple.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #402
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Might just have a cheese & onion cobs*.
I bought a pack of four today, not realising Mum already has six in the freezer.
So I can eat two fresh and freeze the other two, then take them into work for the next few days.

I only had a cuppasoup for lunch, so eating two isn't two piggy.

* crusty bread rolls.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #403
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's cold and wet and snowing ... so it's time to get out the cauldron and make some ...

Stew.

Yes, I make a lot of stew.

Today we have Spice Drawer (I couldn't devote a cabinet to it, but I have more kitchen drawers than I know what to do with) Stew.

I had a pound of frozen stew beef that I defrosted about 3/4 of the way ... it's easier to cut those huge chunks into bite sized bits when there's still some freeze on it.

Browned the beef in a bit of oil (vegetable, it's what I had), and then took everything out of the spice drawer and threw some at it.

Okay, not quite everything. I didn't use the lemon peel, or anything containing salt, or any of the Emeril Essences, since I didn't want 'Asian' or 'Southwest' stew this time. I did use garlic powder, onion powder, onion pieces (yes, I had a real onion and real garlic, but they had gone funny on me and I didn't feel safe using either in food i actually intend to eat), basil, oregano, ginger, hot pepper flakes, black pepper, and my favorite cooking liquid, Wild Turkey American Honey. After much consideration, I decided not to use the cinnamon and nutmeg ... Don't gag. I have done this, and it's a really interesting flavor to bring into something savory.

The stew is yummy. And warming.

I have to get some cocoa going.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #404
Griff
still says videotape

You and Pete are on the same wave length today as there is stew in the crock pot. Myself, I like stew very little. Boiled meat is teh ick, but I will compromise for the oh oh oh.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #405
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The trick is to let the meat do a lot of the cooking before you add the liquids ... it won't have that boily taste to it. Sear and brown the meat before you add the liquid. Nothing browns in the crock ... It just gets kind of uniformly gray. Another thing to watch is never really boil ... simmer for a long time, yeah.

I've been doing stews in my big-ass pot lately. I usually want food faster than the crockpot delivers it. For me, stew is done when the carrots reach the right stew-like consistency.