The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Feb 20th, 2020 : Viking Litter

Quote:
It is not large – the shape and size of a chocolate sweet – and might easily have been discarded as a pebble by a less careful hand.
But a tiny piece of worked glass unearthed during an excavation on Lindisfarne has been revealed to be a rare archaeological treasure linking the Northumbrian island with the Vikings, from the very beginning of one of the most turbulent periods in English history.

Some dope lost the game piece, they couldn’t play, so they raped and pillaged Britain and Ireland.

Quote:
Archaeologists believe the object, made from swirling blue and white glass with a small “crown” of white glass droplets, is a gaming piece from the Viking board game hnefatafl (“king’s table”), or a local version of the game.
Whether dropped on the island by a Norse raider or owned by a high-status local*imitating their customs, the gaming piece offers a rare tangible link between Lindisfarne’s Anglo-Saxon monastery and the culture that eventually overwhelmed it.
But to historians, “Holy Island” also has immense significance as the site, in AD793, of the first major Viking raid in Britain or Ireland, launching almost three centuries of destruction and occupation that dramatically shaped English history.
* Don't tiptoe around it, they're collaborators, shave their heads, rip off their clothes, march them
naked through the streets...

...and by my house.

link
Old 02-20-2020, 12:22 AM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

seems awfully fancy for a cat poop tray granule ...and not very absorbent.

srsly though, major cool. But I was expecting some sort of carriage rather than trash (once I got past the viking cat poop thing)

I suspect this will feature in my pottery exploits very soon. Like maybe Sunday.

thanks
Old 02-20-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

(I used to live near Lindisfarne... like a couple miles...)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:29 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Check out the link for details. I had to ask Google how to spell it so as not to be confused with cat toilet, metric liquid measure, and never thought of the medic's stretcher. It's tough because almost any word has a product, company, or rock band grabbing it.