The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Phase
Resident Denizen

Opera Web Browser

What are your opinions on Opera as far as speed, loading times for both the program and websites visited in Opera, and other related topics.

I don't care much for the look of Opera, and the fact you can extend it with Widgets, I already know all about that.

Why I'm asking is, lately Firefox is starting to piss me off on an enormous level. I narrow it down to Firefox because it* works in IE, and K-Meleon (K-Meleon happens to be a browser based on the Gecko engine, like Firefox). So, I'm look at alternatives, and one of them won't be IE (for me anyway). Soo.. opinions on Opera?

* it: "It" meaning various aspects such as speed, loading time for websites and the program itself, and other stuff found on a website that takes decades for Firefox to load it.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I have Opera installed. I tend to go back to Firefox--I'm just used to it. There are also some handy Firefox plugins. However Opera does appear to render faster. (I say "appear" because I've not timed it, and it's not a huge difference.)

Download it & try it--what's to lose?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Phase
Resident Denizen

Nothing too major, just curious as to what others thought of it.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

I thought Opera was fast and have it installed as a back up, but have had some pages not work at all. Some of the preferences/options are too hidden and didn't feel too user friendly to me.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
maninthebox
eats paste

Opera......

I've used Opera for about a year now. It is nice to use but it seems to crash alot when alot of images or if Java wants to do something. Do yourself a favor and try Firefox 2. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/ Whatever you do, don't click on the blue "E"!!!!!
maninthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Phase
Resident Denizen

I'm using FF2, which is nearly as bad as FF1. Though, I'm going to try Opera tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
mbpark
Lecturer

Opera on my laptop

Hello,

I am using Opera, IE7 (for work), and Firefox 2.0 (I like 1.5 much better) on my laptop.

I also use Opera Mini on my Blackberry 8700.

Opera puts out a consistently working browser that doesn't need the hacks which IE needs, and which IE7 breaks .

The page magnification works excellently.

The CPU requirements are very low.

The supported platform list is very large.

The engine is small enough to be shoehorned into a Windows CE device, and can take full advantage of XP and 2003. I have not run it on Vista, nor do I care to.

In short, I really like this browser, and have started to use it for daily work. I've seen both Firefox and IE7 hiccup on many things which Opera doesn't choke on.

On my Blackberry, it actually renders pages very well. The Cingular browser has many issues and will often crash. Opera Mini does not.

I highly recommend this browser. It's small, quiet, does what you need, and doesn't eat memory like Firefox.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I'm an Opera fan from wayyy back. Fast as hell. The skin is annoying but I'm too lazy to change it.

I definitely recommend it but I'd have Fx and IE around as backups for certain things like online banking and commerce sites which Opera used to not handle so well (but they may have fixed it by now).

There are also some hacks floating around to get rid of the banner ad. And what mbpark said about small, quiet and light on memory. You can even (at least I did with a former version) copy all the files to a new folder, uninstall it and run it silently from the new folder.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpark
The page magnification works excellently.
I didn't know about this feature--I like it! It's great for my shitty eyesight. (The corresponding CTRL/+ of Firefox just blows up the font.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Phase
Resident Denizen

Well I've been using it for a decent amount of hours now, and so far I'm really liking it. The one minor thing I hate about it though, is the fact i can't right click a bookmark in the Personal Bar and hit 'Open in New Tab'.. loved that about Firefox.

Still haven't checked out the Wdigets yet, but i'll get around to that.