The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-26-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
crossfire
The White Rapper

AVP movie rating

I don't know if anyone has heard the rumors of a PG-13 movie rating, but unfortunately, they are true. It will be rated pg-13 for violence, language, horrible images, and slime and gore, as said by the avp movie website Hopefully, it will still be action packed, but it is stupid for a few reasons. First, every movie in both series was r, it won't be as intense or scary because more kids will be able to see it, and usually, a rating with a description of its description usually is rated r. Yes usually a rated r movie would have like pervasive whatever, but what about Mystic River that was rated r for violence and language. Anyway, I will still be glad to see it, though the rating sucks.
crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire
Anyway, I will still be glad to see it, though the rating sucks.
I'm glad to hear you're not going to let the putrid rating overshadow your objective enjoyment of the film!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
crossfire
The White Rapper

I've been waiting a long time to see this movie and I will not let anything stop me.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The PC game is pretty cool. I liked playing as the Alien the best.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I saw a preview of AVP when I went to see I, Robot.

The trailer was way cool good ... don't know if the movie will live up to it, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
crossfire
The White Rapper

I hope it does
Old 07-27-2004, 10:00 AM   #7
crossfire
The White Rapper

I also forgot to mention that ever since Airplane, which was pg and had a naked woman bounce her breasts along the screen, I've never understood the MPAA ratings system.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It turns out all women have them.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what a stupid concept. freddy vs. jason, anyone?

how ridiculous. this kind of movie dilutes the scariness of the monsters to the point where they are not at all scary anymore. predator2 already ruined the image of the predators, and the aliens haven't been scary since the 2nd installment of that series. maybe a cool video game, but this is an obvious cashing in on two precanned sequels that have lost their appeal.

what's next? Forest Gump meets Rain man?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Well, this was inevitable ... since there was that scene in Predator 2 where the guy ends up on the Predator's ship, right ... and he sees all the spines hanging on the wall ... and there's one trophy from an Alien alien.

So they killed at least one ...

And then there was the damn comic book, right? I think that's what really is at fault here. Comic book writers with no imagination throwing two established characters into a steel cage and seeing who comes out?

Hmmm. Movie based on comic book. Rulebook says ... "will suck."

I'll wait for cable.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #11
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The MPAA rating system is strange and arbitrary to say the least. Long ago, violence got a strong rating while sexually explicit things like bouncing naked breasts weren't such a big deal. During the late 80's and 90's those roles were reversed.

In 1996 the MPAA reviewed one of the best westerns of all time, "The Wild Bunch" and gave it an X rating for violence so it switched back. Then we get Southpark and the MPAA allwed them to have incredibly violent scenes but were very upset about so-called dirty words.

I'd get rid of the MPAA all together and let parents decide.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #12
crossfire
The White Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
what's next? Forest Gump meets Rain man?
while this is funny, its also in some ways true and in someways false. its true that the idea of AVP is synonomous with FVJ. its false because what other movies have truely had this idea, besides FVJ? I mean there hasn't been any other two movies that have ran for a prolonged amount of time with a similar hero/villian period, let but also will become a movie. If you can name some, go for it. I'm not talking about similar movie ideas like Forrest Gump and Rain Man, I'm talking about like if they created another I, Robot and they pitted Terminator against the robot. Basically, while it may be just an excuse to continue the series, not many ideas are like it. I just hope, if not AVP, that one will turn out actually good.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:10 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Alien is a series that went on two movies longer than it should have.

Predator is a movie with a sequel.

Neither of them really cry out for more.

Speaking of not crying out for more ... I saw a trailer for The Exorcist: The Beginning this weekend.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:14 PM   #14
crossfire
The White Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I'd get rid of the MPAA all together and let parents decide.
I agree whole heartedly. As proven in The Matrixes, it seems like the MPAA will sometimes put r ratings on movies, not because they deserve them, but because an r rating may make the movies more popular. Face it, as also proven in Eminem's CD's, people like controversy or things out of the ordinary or whatever, which is exactly what is presented in many r rated movies
Old 07-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I don't like the rating system because it makes theaters think that they are better able to judge what is best for my child.

The theater here won't let me bring my own child to an NC-17 movie. Now, I dont' really have any such desire, but that isn't the point.