The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Flint
Libturd Snowflake
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Coastal Elite
Posts: 11,918
The War on Information

[someone] created a fake FB account, posted a paraphrase of what Spicer actually DID say, then [someone] reported it to Snopes, to be rated FALSE, then [someone] disseminated this enough to reach Page 1, Google News tab for the term "Spicer"

End result: confirmation that "The Liberal Media" is lying to you about the latest, horrible thing.
Even the Liberal, Soros-controlled Snopes website agrees the Media is lying!! . . . R.I.P. Information
Attached Images
  
__________________
******************
There's a level of facility that everyone needs to accomplish, and from there
it's a matter of deciding for yourself how important ultra-facility is to your
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 04-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,012
*shakes head*
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Flint
Libturd Snowflake
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Coastal Elite
Posts: 11,918
FALSE:
In a botched attempt to clarify his previous statements about Adolf Hitler and chemical weapons, Trump press secretary Sean Spicer said he meant Hitler never used them on "fellow Germans."

TRUE:
In a botched attempt to clarify his previous statements about Adolf Hitler and chemical weapons, Trump press secretary Sean Spicer said he meant Hitler never used them on "his own people."



In case you've been asleep for 48 hours and missed it, German Jews weren't Hitler's "own people."

As per usual, liberals are hysterical about nothing.
__________________
******************
There's a level of facility that everyone needs to accomplish, and from there
it's a matter of deciding for yourself how important ultra-facility is to your
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 04-12-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 12,357
That is a terrible "Snopes"... Don't they usually have more context than that?

What they were actually rating as "false" was that the provided facebook account was Spicer, which would be important to note even if it had correctly quoted him, but the headline and the lack of any context certainly is misleading.
__________________
_________________
|...............| We live in the nick of times.
| Len 17, Wid 3 |
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 59,747
Hitler didn't gas his own people, the Austrians.

Hitler didn't gas his fellow Germans because he wasn't German.
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Hitler didn't gas his own people, the Austrians.

Hitler didn't gas his fellow Germans because he wasn't German.
Too many facts. It must be fake news.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
footfootfoot
I may have overstated my temerity's degree of mitigation.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 18,064
We need to stop seeing this as fake news and alternative facts, it's not a war on information, it's "Free Market Information"

I will post more on this topic tomorrow
__________________
the internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously? - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,360
Free market information: I am free to market any lies I want.

Those who do it most also habitually sexually abuse their women employees. Then pay out $3 million and $20 million settlements - to restrict the news. In free market information, one can also pay to suppress the news.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
footfootfoot
I may have overstated my temerity's degree of mitigation.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 18,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
We need to stop seeing this as fake news and alternative facts, it's not a war on information, it's "Free Market Information"

I will post more on this topic tomorrow
Or the day after.
__________________
the internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously? - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #10
Pi
desperate finder
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Free market information: I am free to market any lies I want.

Those who do it most also habitually sexually abuse their women employees. Then pay out $3 million and $20 million settlements - to restrict the news. In free market information, one can also pay to suppress the news.
Well that's something new since the Adam and Eve in Paradise...
Information always served and serves and will serve to get your point over...
We just have a stronger sense of the importance of "truth". Now let's all go down the rabbit hole of psychological meanings of truth...
__________________
Complex simplex
Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
We just have a stronger sense of the importance of "truth". Now let's all go down the rabbit hole of psychological meanings of truth...
Truth is rather easy. But most avoid what is necessary to have knowledge.

First a hypothesis must exist based in well proven science. Second, experimental evidence with perspective (numbers) must exist to demonstrate or confirm a hypothesis.

Fake news only says what you must believe. It does not say why. Fake new only uses sound byte reasoning. A reply based in reality must be long - often including repeatedly the examples (perspective; experimental evidence) that confirms a hypothesis.

For example, war is only justified when three things exist. First is a smoking gun - as made obvious even in Art of War some 2500 years ago. East coast US is littered with ships sunk by Germans before the US went to war. Even that was an insufficient smoking gun. A smoking gun was Pearl Harbor.

Gulf of Tonkin was hyped as a smoking gun. We all know it was not. In fact it was a lie. So war in Vietnam was never justified. Therefore that war was a defeat. Such examples are numerous throughout history.

Reality is not explained by a soundbyte. We massacred some 50,000 American servicemen because soundbytes (fake new; emotional reasoning; even McCarthyism) replaced what is required: many paragraphs that include a hypothesis and experimental evidence.

Many have insufficient attention span to even comprehend something this short. So many become victims of fake news or alternative facts.

Spicer's mistake - he tried to provide reasons why. He did not accurately remember (learn) details. Yes, Nazis developed Sarin in the 1930s. They stockpiled Sarin laced artillery shells. Spicer simply used an emotional and generalized soundbyte to explain details he forgot to learn. But his job is not to provide details necessary for knowledge. He forgot his purpose: to tell the naive what to believe. And to not provide details necessary to provide a valid conclusion - as we were all taught in junior high science.

Soundbyte term for what Spicer is supposed to do is 'brainwashing'. That means avoid details - learning them or reciting them.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
sexobon
^it sings^
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,774
To summarize the thread: you can't justify a "War on Information" unless you have a smoking gun.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 21,994
I used to have one but I moved on from such things.
Attached Images
 
__________________
If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you.
- Louis D. Brandeis
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
To summarize the thread: you can't justify a "War on Information" unless you have a smoking gun.
Exactly why so many fear gun control.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 12,357
A minor battle in the war on information was won today. Bill O'Reilly was fired.

Colbert will be devastated, I'm sure.
__________________
_________________
|...............| We live in the nick of times.
| Len 17, Wid 3 |
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.