The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #46
monster
I hear them call the tide

Been tough to find time these last couple of weeks (and the next couple) But I am still managing at least one Zumba class, one mile swim on one weight training session and one other thing a week. Last week I did weight training and a little cardio on Mon, Zumba on Tues and Swam a mile on Thurs. Today (Mon) I did weight training and Zumba. Tomorrow will be a dead loss, Weds also, Thursday I hope to swim and/or do zumba before we have the middle school swim meet at 1 and then Hebe and I head out to State Championships. I think the nervous energy i might expend there should count for something.... It really is lack of time rather than lack of willing, though. The expense is working to make me go...... (that and the promise of the amazing Spa tub afterwards)
Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #47
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I was just wondering how you were getting on as I practiced my tumble-turns yesterday ... I've decided I should try to swim along the bottom for a bit before coming to the surface, instead of bobbing up immediately like a cork!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #48
monster

good. assuming the pool isn't 12 feet deep.....

I could give advice .....even though I can't do them! My school swim team have some lovely turns I've taught them without getting in the water to demonstrate!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #49
limey

Pool is four feet deep all over. All advice gratefully received as I do feel rather inelegant, and I think they're fun!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #50
limey

Missed a week at the pool (bah! wurk!!). Had a go at following some advice received with not very elegant results, yet.
I get pretty disorientated if I can't see either the ceiling or the bottom of the pool.
I hit my head on the bottom of the pool (only once, and gently).
There have been a few inelegant flaps of legs above the water, too.
How come I get water up my nose even if I'm breathing out gently all the time?
But it's fun!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #51
monster

me tooooo! it was horrible. back today after 7 days no workout. i did a thirty minutes abs class and swam half a mile then did some heavy gardening for an hour.

legs should come out on a flip turn, that is fine. stuck together or at least close and symmetrical is preferred. Why can't you see the bottom of the pool? I get disoriented too and water up my nose. That's why I don't do them. If there are lines on the bottom of your pool, the pull stroke should be the one after the T of the line is directly below your face.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #52
limey

OMG, you mean my shapely 51 1/2 year-old pins should protrude above the water ... hmmmm ...
There are no lines on the bottom of the pool.
When I have rotated 180 degrees and am face up, under water, doing the dolphin wiggle with my arms streamlined in front of me (hah, fat chance of me getting all of that in, before I have to turn over ...) I cannot see the bottom of the pool (nor the ceiling, just the surface of the water).
Back at the pool today (2nd day in a row) - swam 3/4 mile, no turns.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #53
monster

watch the video again. I mean, they don't have too, but in most cases they will. Then submerge again for the push
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
limey

Pool Boy's don't. But I don't mind (I've got good legs )
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #55
monster

Just search flip turn on youtube. I didn't find one without legs out at the top of the flip. In the swiming I watch, if the legs don't come out, the kid has gone too deep and is going to lose time on the turn. but it happens and they still get round. but all the olympic swimmers have a leg pop moment, so you're in good company

My coaching task for tomorrow: teaching my new flippers how to remember not to flip on the breaststroke
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #56
SamIam

Still not ready for the pool. But I have been making progress on my aerobics training. The first day I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and wished for death for two days afterwards. But now I am up to 50 minutes at 3.6 mph for 3 miles per session and I have been gradually raising my pace every two or three sessions. I don't think I could do it without my music. I have discovered that a lot of 80's tunes help me set a good pace and keep going through the agony. "Sweet Dreams are Made of These", "Eye of the Tiger", "She Drives me Crazy", and just about every song Pat Benatar ever did. Also more contemporary stuff like Cross Canadian Ragweed - "Anywhere but Here" and the Green Cards - "Make it out West." If anyone has suggestions for good workout music, please post what keeps you going. I'm always on the lookout for more music.

People probably think I'm nuts. I lip sync my tunes and toss my hair around and generally come as close to dancing as you can on a treadmill. But if I pretend I'm out on the dance floor, it makes the process a lot more fun.

Oh, and today I got up the courage to approach a sexy silver fox! I was watching him work out on the weight machine and he was lifting the entire set of weights with seeming ease. He had a great bod, needless to say, and he was about my age. Instant lust on my part. So, after we had both finished our workouts, I went up to him and asked him if he could give me any advise on which of the machines would be best for me to start working on improving my upper body strength. I had obviously picked one of his fav subjects and he showed me four or five machines and explained how to use them and which sets of muscles could be improved by each. Very nice man with no wedding ring, although that doesn't mean much these days.

I am excited to get out on the road again and be in the condition to take longish hikes in Island in the Sky National Park - my next expedition into the wilds. The off roading there can get get interesting, so I want to be able to dig the Toyota out should I need to or lever rocks off the trail, etc. I like to be as self sufficient as possible, and I feel encouraged that I have kept my conditioning program up and I can definitely see an improvement.

Yay for all us Cellar ladies !
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #57
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Just search flip turn on youtube. I didn't find one without legs out at the top of the flip. In the swiming I watch, if the legs don't come out, the kid has gone too deep and is going to lose time on the turn. but it happens and they still get round. but all the olympic swimmers have a leg pop moment, so you're in good company
OK (UT - where's that can-can smiley when you need it?!?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
My coaching task for tomorrow: teaching my new flippers how to remember not to flip on the breaststroke
Uh-oh. It's on the breaststroke that I'm planning to flip-turn . In fact I'm wondering how to put it between two backstroke lengths ...
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #58
monster

Hey you can flip if you want to -they'll get DQd. Back to breast is a bucket turn once you get past touch and go. then, when you get even faster, you go back to touch and go only "special" (Hector buckets, Hebe doesn't any more)

(I'd turn the sound off: )

WTG SamIam. You could always invite the silver fox to join you on your trip.....

Last edited by monster; 03-21-2012 at 07:01 AM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #59
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

So that's where Sam has been: getting all in-shapey and stuff.

You ladies are my inspiration. Now all I have to do is turn inspiration into action!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #60
monster

We could go swimming Saturday afternoon...... or walking..... or drinking......