The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I was laughing as I posted that, just messing with you.

Not to make light of the seriousness of this thread. I got through a few seconds of the video before I had to stop watching. It makes no fucking sense and it makes me sick.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 03-24-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

I can't believe more people aren't upset that this asshole wasted that perfectly good dog food while dogs were starving somewhere in his city.

sorry, i use sick lame humor when i'm saddened. let's just chain the asshole to the ground and give him two chicken nuggets and 4 ozs of toilet water to drink everyday until he dies.

Last edited by lookout123; 03-24-2008 at 04:10 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
freshnesschronic
Professor

my bad Shawnee, board, i meant Sundae Girl. Shawnee, Sundae, starts with S, ends with "eee"! well, in my mind, for some reason I say "Sundy, or Sundee" instead of SundAY. My bad.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
warch
lurkin old school

Here's my take:
Cruel and unethical, did intentional harm which defines an "aesthetic" boundary. Not generative, just violent and empty spectacle.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
Shawnee123

No prob! I don't mind being mistaken for Sundae (or vice versa) 'cause she rocks!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #21
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Uh, Are we all missing a "dual purpose"opportunity here??? Lets just feed him to the starving dogs....
Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #22
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Well, since the outrage and shock are critical to the piece, I should think the artist would not mind if I put on my heavy boots, sink his ankles in concrete, and kick him in the crotch until his testicles are completely liquid.

It only improves the piece and furthers awareness of the situation if someone has that reaction.

If art is "what you can get away with", as we have posited, and he gets away with it because it's art, then I should be able to get away with it too. Really, my drop-kicking him in the fucking nuts until either they are a mass of jelly or they retreat into the guy's pancreas for safety... is part of an important artistic vision, a higher calling if you will.

Moreover once the balls are liquified, to increase the shock and awareness of the situation, I am willing to allow hungry dogs to eat the remaining goo. For maximum benefit of the piece, I won't sever the sack with a sharp knife or anything. Just put peanut butter on whatever remains and let the pit bulls at it. For maximum art, I shall select only the hungriest street dogs one can find.

Finally, I'm willing to work anonymously. Behind the scenes if you will, unlauded in any way. I'm JUST THAT GIVING -- AND COMMITTED TO THE ART.

Let's get people talking. Let's be part of the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Uh, Are we all missing a "dual purpose"opportunity here??? Lets just feed him to the starving dogs....
I like the way you guys think.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
binky
all hollowed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I can't believe more people aren't upset that this asshole wasted that perfectly good dog food while dogs were starving somewhere in his city.

sorry, i use sick lame humor when i'm saddened. let's just chain the asshole to the ground and give him two chicken nuggets and 4 ozs of toilet water to drink everyday until he dies.
They are - that is why there are 1376832 signatures on a petition to ban his "art"
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
Giant Salamander
Deity of Dogs

Humans and dogs is a relationship 1500 years strong. The 900,000 people that would not have signed that petition if he'd starved a horny toad to death should probably not be counted. Damned Fuzz Lovers.

In any case, I've decided that the guy is a piece of shit. Though it is art, and it did illustrate the plight of starving dogs, he should probably consider a different line of work if that's the most creative solution he could conceive of. Anyone can put an apple on a pedestal and call it "Apple." I don't know how he could have done that and still sleep at night.

(By the way, imHo, threatening this guy with torture / violence / death because he starved a dog seems a bit...what's the word...notright. He may be a prick, but he's not a genocidal dictator. I'd shoot a stray dog in the head before I'd shoot him in the head, if in fact we were ever trapped in a windowless house with a sadistic serial killer who liked to test people's morals.)
Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Certainly, but when I threaten to sink his ankles in concrete and kick him in the nuts until they're goo, my threat is not really directed at him but at his work and the concepts underlying it. So it's not really a threat, but in the larger context, it's part of the artwork itself. It strengthens the work and gives the whole thing more meaning. The artist should be in favor.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #26
Shawnee123

I was going to say: Dog stays. Guy goes. Simple reasoning: dog doesn't sit around all day thinking of ways to "increase awareness" of starving humans by starving a human. Dog doesn't use said starving human to further himself in the world of art. Dog is rarely selfish. In the Highlights world of living organisms, guy is Goofus and dog is Gallant.

But calmer and more clever heads win out, and I can't think of a thing wrong with UT's logic.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #27
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Salamander View Post
Anyone can put an apple on a pedestal and call it "Apple."
That part was bothering me, but I couldn't think of a concise way to describe it.

True, art is supposed to make you think, or provoke a response. Like plucking the piano strings of your instincts, a good artist knows exactly how to touch something inside you. But, seriously, I think "art" is also the act of using some kind of metaphor to express the thing. Not just...it.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #28
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Mmm.....You might not be a dictator for starving a dog to death but it's a pretty good start...

Old 03-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #29
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
True, art is supposed to make you think, or provoke a response.
Terrorism makes you think and provokes a response too. Some people might call cruelty to animals art, but I don't think most people would.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #30
Flint
Snowflake

Hey, you know what would be awesome? Let's quote snippets of people's posts, out of context, and then interject an irrelevant tirade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Terrorism makes you think and provokes a response too.
Good lord, I had no idea that Aliantha was pro-terrorism. Did you read that bit just now where she was saying how great terrorism is and how much she thinks it's so awesome because it makes people think, and that there should be more of it and she might even do some herself? I can't believe that I just read that.

Aliantha, I have to tell you that most people don't like terrorism and don't think it's such a great idea as you obviously do. Sorry to burst your terrorist-loving bubble.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote