The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

2/27/2006: Wheat mountains

Here we see a hiker attempting to reach the second peak of the Wheat Mountains, a minor range in Bhutan.

No, it's actually mountains of grain! The backlighting of the climber gives it away: this is a massive grain shed, and the climber is actually the site's manager. This grain is Australian, and it waits to be exported.

It turns out Australia sends off about 2/3rds of its wheat crop. It's sent to just about every major nation on the Indian Ocean and the south Pacific. The Aussies are feeding the world!

And the world is eating grain that some guy climbed all over.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Promenea
Resident President

That seems like a very dangerous thing to do. Grain quicksand comes to mind not to mention the amount of dust in the air. I believe I've even heard of grain silos exploding from the dust combusting.
Promenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And the name of the mountain is.......
Wonder-loaf.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
axlrosen
Major Inhabitant

Wow. I wonder what the consistency is like? I guess it's a lot more solid than you'd think, considering those interesting formations in the foreground. (Not to mention the guy hiking all over it.)
Old 02-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Pancake Man
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

He couldn't cross the Grain Mountains, so instead had to go under them, through the Mines of Corn-ia.
Pancake Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This is a Monday IOTD - and grainy days and Mondays always get me down.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake Man
He couldn't cross the Grain Mountains, so instead had to go under them, through the Mines of Corn-ia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I knew there was a reason I liked it here.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Indeed!
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
chrisinhouston
Professor

This is interesting because over most of the past century, the USA produced the most wheat for consumption and export. Starting at the turn of the last century St. Paul, MN lead the world in production and export but now we are not the leaders in this area. Instead we lead the world in the production of corn.

Why? Because the demand for corn syrup for our wonderful processed and fast foods and drinks has totally changed the face of the american farmland. Furthermore corn can be grown year after year with less need for rotating crops, just as long as the farmer uses a ton of fertilizer and some pesticides it just keeps growing.

Now Corn is really going to be king as the push to make fuel from ethanol grows.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

Australian wheat is exported by a legal monopoly called the Australian Wheat Board. The AWB is currently in a lot of trouble for exporting to Iraq before the US invasion while knowing that some of the money was going to Saddam. It's part of the "oil for food" scandal. The Australian government is also getting a lot of bad publicity right now as there are accusations that the government knew about the kickbacks and turned a blind eye.

Some of you might be surprised at the massive volumes of Australian exports... not just beer and wool (which is what we seem to be most famous for), but also most of the world's uranium, most of the world's opals, huge amounts of coal and wheat, a lot of sheep and beef and gold and diamonds... Australia is a country that is rich from mining and primary production, despite the fact that most of the country is infertile desert.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

maybe he's wearing snow shoe type gear...with a fine mesh..
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I see stuff like this all the time , you should have seen the mess when a 1,000,000 bushel holding tank burst , it unzipped up a seam just like a zipper !!!

I will have to get some pics of BULK grain storage for the Gubment , it is stored on the ground under tarps .
Old 02-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Would he go out if he REALLY had to pee?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

the US IS the #1 exporter of wheat, followed by Argentina. China is the #1 importer, followed by Russia. Now, ask me about rice! I know all about rice!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oh, shit. I see tw is going to reply to this thread. I hope he doesn't give me any crap about the US and wheat and how we use it as a geo-political tool...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote