The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #511
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

ideas about your drum sander

1 -- I share your love of old tools. I have several tools from my Dad that I treasure.

2 -- The last time I cut threads (on purpose, with a tap and die set, not with a crossthreaded nut, not specifying which is the nut) was in shop class in seventh grade. I'd made a little hammer out of 1/2" square bar stock and some steel rod. I ... I wonder where that tool is.. It might be around here somewhere, now it's in my mind (like I need something else to rattle around in there, distracting me).

3 -- an idea to correct the imperfect grip your chuck had on the threaded rod: thread some nuts (at least two) onto the rod and lock them together, then use those flat sides to give the jaws of the chuck something solid to grip onto.

4 -- for the nail as the sandpaper wedge/imbalance issue: Why not add a second hole 180 deg opposite and add a counterbalancing nail?

5 -- I love your work glatt.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #512
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Not today, but over the weekend I made music. Six trumpets, five trombones, four French horns (cue Christmas carol jokes!), three percussionists and two tubas all met to create music and share good times.
This video is not us, but one of the pieces we played.

These two Spotify links take you to two other pieces we played (again, not us in the links):
Festmusik der stadt Wien
Feierlicher Einzug
The above pieces are all by (or based on music by) Richard Strauss - he was the main focus of our weekend. However, for a little light relief we also played an arrangement of the slow movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony for brass, and a very funky Stevie Wonder medley.
Food and company were most excellent. You could say, I suppose, that we all had a real blast
(I should add that I was playing French horn this weekend - it is my true musical love. The tuba and sousie are my brass bits on the side!!)

Last edited by limey; 05-20-2014 at 10:44 AM.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #513
glatt

Awesome!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #514
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

French horn is the most plainly sophisticated of the brass. No blasting or farting, just a pleasant and very musical tone.

You can tell Mr. Limey I said that...! He's a trumpeter, right?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #515
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
The first nuc was really active with a lot of bees and excess comb all over it.
The bees wait for no man... nice recovery though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I love using old tools that still work well, and probably better than modern stuff.
They were built to do a job, with the heft and accuracy that inspires confidence, until you wear them out. With enough oil they'll will outlast generations of we amateurs. On the down side, if you screw the job up you can't blame the tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
I should add that I was playing French horn this weekend - it is my true musical love. The tuba and sousie are my brass bits on the side!!
A woman of many talents. I nominate you to run Scotland after the split.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #516
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I made this. <--Cellar link

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #517
glatt

These were the shelves I wanted that sander for. I'm pleased with the way they blend right in with the cabinets.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #518
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Good job, man.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #519
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Very nice looking!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #520
Griff
still says videotape

Nice work man!
Old 05-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #521
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The nice thing about wood working is usually if it doesn't look like what you want, you just have to keep working until it does. The more tools acquired, and tricks you learn, the faster you can get to that point.
Looks like you've picked up plenty of both, well done.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #522
busterb
NSABFD

That's true. And a nice job btw. But working with iron you can weld you screwups back together. Not so with wood, as I well know.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #523
glatt

For her birthday present, my daughter will get to go with my wife to go see Les Miserables in NYC. She (the daughter) is in love with that show, but has only seen the movie and listened to the music. It will be an awesome trip to New York. They will take the early bus up, see the city sights during the day, then the show at night and stay in a medium quality touristy hotel near the theater. Maybe do some more sight seeing the next day and then come home by bus again. It should be a fun time.

When you buy tickets online, they wait forever before sending them to you, so we won't even have tickets to wrap and give to her in late June.

So I just spent the morning putting this graphic together. I'll take it over to CVS and get it printed out in 8X10. It will give us something to wrap up and give her, and she can put on her wall if she wants.

It took about two hours, finding and stealing all the various images from around the web and combining them into this. It's hard to find high resolution images that will print well at 8 x 10.

Name:  Les Miserables cellar.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  96.2 KB
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #524
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nice! I have zero graphic design skills, I would have just scrawled it on a piece of paper.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #525
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Nice Job, Dad!

Tags
diy