The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #46
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

A little yes... I thought that when I was typing it out.

Oddly, his hat was a bit like my Dad's Drizabone hat (which he calls his Rolf Harris hat). But I honestly don't believe my occasional nightmares have a meaning - they have very similar qualities and have occurred at very different times of my life.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #47
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

No one is too old to be comforted after a nightmare like that.

Very seldom I will have those kinds of nightmares where I actually wake myself up trying to yell or scream, but the worst one I remember was this:

I was watching a plane in the sky. It was doing loopy loops, the clouds were beautiful. It was a very peaceful scene. Then I watched as the plane headed straight for the ground and exploded. In my dream, both my brothers were on the plane.

I genuinely cried for a while when I woke up from that one...it was so real, and so horrible.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #48
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I was a pain in the arse as a kid for scaring myself at night, and having those horribly real nightmares, where you just go from awake to sleep to awake, seamlessly. Anything happening during that span might just as well be a real event. Like self-motivating puppets for example, or the face at the Wendy-house window...

That not being able to cry out. Oh that's hideous. That's the thing that changes it from my own little horror fantasy ride, to an unwanted nightmare. Very rare I get that as an adult. The disturbing dreams that have stuck with me most from childhood tended to have that as a feature. Usually also had some running away, usually down stairs or a hill, where the distinction between running and falling is somewhat blurred and you feel like any second now you'll pitch over. A real heart in mouth and pulse pounding in throat moment.

As an adult the stuff that gets me tends to centre around breathing and 'waking' to an unfamiliar and claustrophobic setting with a sense of urgency or 'presence'. I wake, scrambling around, panicked trying to find the light switch, trying to figure out where I am and trying to get my breath. From time to time I wake as I am forcing a breath. Don't know but it feels like I've stopped breathing for a moment and had difficulty dragging it in. This tends to happen when I've been smoking too much and my asthma is bothering me. At these times I also have a lot of anxiety dreams where I am trying to find my inhaler, then find my inhaler, and use it. But the dream just resets and I'm searching for my inhaler again.

Last edited by DanaC; 01-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #49
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'll have dreams where my legs are so heavy...I'm trying to get somewhere, or away from somewhere, and my legs are so heavy and achy I can't get anywhere. That and the not being able to scream...horrible feeling.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #50
DanaC

Nightmare on Elmstreet really got that feeling across well.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #51
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
This tends to happen when I've been smoking too much and my asthma is bothering me. At these times I also have a lot of anxiety dreams where I am trying to find my inhaler, then find my inhaler, and use it. But the dream just resets and I'm searching for my inhaler again.
That does not rock. Not only does it not rock, that f'ing sucks.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #52
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I dreamt that I was being attacked by a HUGE man. Another jumped on the HUGE guy to try to stop him. While they were grappling I grabbed and knife and slit the HUGE guy's throat. ALL the way across, made sure I cut deep. I was really worried if I didn't kill him he would get back up and attack us again.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #53
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
I was really worried if I didn't kill him he would get back up and attack us again.
That's the mistake most people in horror movies make---not making SURE the monster is dead.

I dreamt a company was demolishing my house because I owed them 120 dollars.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #54
DanaC

I don't like the teeth coming loose dream. That sucks.

That shit disturbs me way more than an all out nightmare usually. The low level anxiety crap. Horror on the cheap. BBC Dreams inc.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #55
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The teeth coming loose thing is supposed to represent feeling out of control of your life, I think. I've also heard that it's more common for women to dream it. Don't know why.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #56
Pie
Gone and done

I never dreamed the teeth dream till one of my friends told me about it. I've had a few since.
(Thanks, buddy! )
Old 01-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #57
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Two more nightmares the night before last, but I didn't wake Mum up so I assume the noise was all in my head. I woke Diz up though.

First one came out of nowhere, a normal dream then I opened a cupboard and inside was Hell. Revolting oozing, warped and oddly peverse creatures writhing about. I let off a shriek like a air raid warning and woke myself up with a hammering heart, panting.

The second - slightly malevolent for a while. I was trying to be nice to an ex nemesis of mine (thinking Fake It Til You Make It, maybe she wasn't all that bad, maybe part of it was my fault). But she lured me to a buffet, which oddly was in my Mum's bedroom. At that point I was lying in bed, unable to move and realised it had been my sister all along. She had a gun and was slinking in for the express purpose of murdering me. I managed to get out, "Mum, Mum, help! It's Laura!" through Novocaine lips (I speak like a deaf person in my dreams when I'm scared) then woke up. I was quite worried I'd shouted out loud, just because of the effort it took to speak in the dream, but Mum didn't hear me. I was concerned she's think I was faking it after I joked with her the other morning about not coming to check I was alright.

Last night's dreams were not nightmares, or even nasty in any way. I had odd fantasy dreams instead. Very nice. I wanted to stay til the end of the story in fact.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #58
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I dreamed I had something in my eye (of course I woke up and there was an irritant, a 'fuzzy' as I call them, making my eye itchy) and I reached up into my eyelid and pulled out this...stick thing. It was like an inch and a half long and had some branches like a twig but on the end was some sort of opening...like a food hole or something. I was like "wow, hey, check this out."
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #59
limegreenc
shed door curio

I dreamt I was throwing a Frisbee... or what looked like a Frisbee, was actually the smoke detector becaauusse ours was blaring and woke me up. Christ, after that I'll take the alarm clock any day.
limegreenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #60
DanaC

Zombies mainly. Yeah, pretty much all about the zombies.