The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1001 albums you must hear before you die

...so don't quite die yet you motherfuckers. And this list only goes from 1955 to 2005, so don't think you're off the hook just because you get through this.

By the back of my envelope, if you listened 12 hours a day, you would get through them in about two months.

My favorite thing about this list is: it's in order by release date. So: look down it and check off a whole bunch that are in your prime... and not so many outside your prime!

Anyway, I dig the list, maybe you will too:

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/steve...1001albums.htm

~ got a bunch of things to listen to now ~
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
glatt

I forwarded the link to my wife and we are both slowly scrolling through it at the same time. She just turned to me and shook her phone at me in emphasis saying "this list is BULLSHIT. Totally."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
glatt

So there's that.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
glatt

She just volunteered that she may have been hasty.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
glatt

Four posts in a row. But I wanted to say that I like the list. I have listened to many and agree with most of those. I am curious about the rest.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmm, I see a lot I've never heard, a lot I have, a lot I've heard and didn't like, and a lot I don't care about. Make that 1001 albums you should consider hearing.

Back when I bought my first real component stereo I went into Philly with a list and bought a little over 100 albums. Of course these were vinyl so you had to play them in order to make sure they didn't have flaws. Talk about a marathon. I found 7 bad albums and took them back. When I handed them to the clerk, he rolled his eyes and said something sarcastic. He changed his attitude when I pulled out a three foot long receipt.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
glatt

Wife says she was just thinking about 808 State last week, even though she has never heard their music. She just remembered seeing the album from when she worked at the record store. And now here it is on the list. They for their name from the area code for HI
Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Wife says she was just thinking about 808 State last week, even though she has never heard their music. She just remembered seeing the album from when she worked at the record store. And now here it is on the list. They for their name from the area code for HI
I was listening to 801.

And I agree that the list is bullshit in that it is stuffed with things so they can get the cute 1001 moniker. There are certainly lots of albums I haven't heard but the list gets longer the more recently the albums were made, suggesting that it was made by a 20 something who hasn't been around long enough to have actually listened to half of these albums and it also has a bunch of albums that are not the artists best works. Those points lead me to suspect the items I don't know about. But then wan't this bias covered in another thread about how spotify or something like that discovered it had to add familiar songs to your daily mix in order for people to trust it? Or was that the TED radio hour? Cellar, TED same difference. <--tagline op!

So, in conclusion, I will re-read the list more closely and check off the albums that I will need to hear and strike through the bullshit ones. After I'm all caught up on other shit.

There is also a list somewhere that has the top 100 songs of every year going back to the 40s I think.

Last edited by footfootfoot; 01-31-2017 at 08:01 AM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
glatt

So I've been playing some of these songs I don't know by artists I don't know.

YouTube notes on one of them:

Quote:
XXXXXX, legendary songwriter and guitarist, is widely acknowledged as one of the most influential musicians of all time. Since the mid 1960s, generation after generation have been held spellbound by his extraordinary groundbreaking acoustic guitar playing and classic emotive songs. Jimmy Page, Neil Young, Nick Drake, Johnny Marr, Bernard Butler and Beth Orton have all been devotees, and further generations, led by Devendra Banhart and Pete Doherty, are still discovering XXXXXX for themselves.
can you guess who this mystery person is?

Scroll down for the answer

Bert Jansch

You know. Bert. Jansch. Right?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

808 State ironically used more TR-909 sounds. "808" is more like NWA.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote