The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #1051
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

What is whiting?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #1052
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
No, I haven't. Wouldn't I have gut pain or something when I eat bread? My guts are normal.

I'm just skinny with slightly elevated blood sugar.
Not necessarily. I think it's estimated that as many as 40% of cases are "silent celiac," meaning no obvious GI symptoms. Secondary symptoms can be anything from grayish/yellowing teeth, to persistent high cholesterol despite an ostensibly healthy diet, to neurological problems, to skin rashes. It's very hard to pin down.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #1053
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Are there studies that link yellow teeth, high cholesterol, neurological problems (what neuro issues, exactly?) and skin rashes (again, which rashes specifically?) to biopsy-proven celiac disease? If there are no GI symptoms, how does anyone assert that these other phenomena are associated with celiac?

I've followed the literature regarding leaky gut and schizophrenia and autism for personal reasons. Just wondering about the scientific support for these postulated associations with celiac, as opposed to anecdotal reports.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #1054
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Absolutely. These are all known symptoms. The primary diagnosis tool for celiac is the detection of anti-gliadin antibodies in the bloodstream. This is often confirmed with a secondary, more reliable but more invasive diagnostic tool of endoscopic biopsy. Even those without outward GI symptoms still have the deformed villi internally, and they don't know why some don't have noticeable GI symptoms despite the internal damage. The skin rash associated with celiac is called dermatitis herpetiformis. Some forms are severe, but sometimes it is mild enough to be misdiagnosed as eczema. I'm on my phone now, but I can dig up a variety of studies on my real computer tomorrow morning if you want.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #1055
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
What is whiting?
Over here it's fish. Almost definitely the same in Oz.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #1056
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yep, its a fairly common fish here. Nice sweet white flesh. Good for tempura type cooking. Daryl prefers it crumbed.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #1057
chrisinhouston
Professor

I made a lasagna last night. We don't do it often but it's a great way to use up veggies and whatever you have if you aren't too caught up on only doing traditional recipes.

I used jar sauce as I was too busy to make it from scratch and ended up with alternating layers of flat pasta sheets, sauce, ricotta, spinach, baby portabello mushrooms, Italian sausage, paper thin sliced zucchini, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.

The big challenge is that due to our kitchen remodeling project I don't have an oven inside anymore so I use a propane smoker box outside which gets quite hot like an oven. Only problem is I can't fit some of my larger baking pans into the box as it the shelves are about 13 inches square. I also have a big gas grill and a charcoal burning ceramic grill (Big Green Egg) and do still have a gas cooktop inside.
Attached Images

Last edited by chrisinhouston; 09-06-2013 at 09:20 AM.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #1058
glatt

Is it difficult hitting a target temperature with that thing and keep close to it?

In my indoor oven, the temperature fluctuates by 50 degrees. Set it for 300, and the temperature goes up to 325 and the gas turns off, then it slowly drops down to 275 before the gas kicks on again. It cycles like that through the entire baking process. I watched it one time with a thermocouple on a multimeter.

Do you just adjust the gas valve to get a low steady flame to maintain a temp on that thing?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #1059
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Is it difficult hitting a target temperature with that thing and keep close to it?

Do you just adjust the gas valve to get a low steady flame to maintain a temp on that thing?
It's taken a bit of experimenting to get to where I feel confident. Ideally as a smoker you would get it to 200-225 and let it do it's thing, it has a pan for wet wood chips. I turn on the propane tank and then the smoker and get it up to 400 or so. Then I put in what I am cooking and drop the heat control valve a bit. Since what I put in is cold it drops it to 350 or so and I just check it a few times over the next 10-15 minutes which isn't hard as I can look out the back kitchen window and see the thermometer on the door. I just adjust the valve on the smoker for the burner as needed.

The only time it gets real squirrely is if we have had a lot of rain or it is raining hard. The humidity seems to make it harder to get up to temperature.

So far I've baked pies, casseroles and roasted whole chickens with pretty good success. I also bake sweet potatoes and other vegetable dishes in it. We got a big crock pot when my mother in law down sized and I had never had one before but use it now for things I used to slow cook/braise in the oven before it died. When we tore out all the old kitchen cabinets to start our redo I had set our oven on a temporary stand and used it but then it died and was too expensive to bother fixing as it was 12 years old. I actually sold it on Craig's list as is for $80 which surprised me.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #1060
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think of this thread when ignorant people make comments about the oxymoron that is "American cuisine".
The sad thing is that some of these people are intelligent and educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Yep, its a fairly common fish here. Nice sweet white flesh. Good for tempura type cooking. Daryl prefers it crumbed.
I read that as crumbled. Twice.
But I'm making apple & blackberry crumble tomorrow, so maybe it's on my crumbled mind.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1061
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

We were busy yesterday so had roast beef today (from the local butcher - excellent as usual!). With baby beets, tiny 'tatoes and bits of collosal carrot from a very local market garden (4 miles away). I did the veg in the slow cooker (=crockpot) for 3 hours on hot, wrapped in foil parcels so they cooked in their own steam and they were Teh Yum (TM), too!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #1062
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
We were busy yesterday so had roast beef today (from the local butcher - excellent as usual!). With baby beets, tiny 'tatoes and bits of collosal carrot from a very local market garden (4 miles away). I did the veg in the slow cooker (=crockpot) for 3 hours on hot, wrapped in foil parcels so they cooked in their own steam and they were Teh Yum (TM), too!
I'm always amazed at the quality of meat from local butchers in other nations since we mostly just have the mass produced supermarket meat here in the USA. When we were in Wales early last year and then in Australia later on I routinely popped into the butcher's shop ever few days to pick up something and was never dissapointed.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #1063
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

My local market Quillin's Has a fresh meat market in it. They have locally produced beef from Mn., pork from Ia., and chicken from Wi. It is a small little place with high prices, and no selection but we go there at least twice a week sometimes more often, because we would hate to see it close. And it is so convenient.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #1064
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

And yesterday I found fresh local rabbit there. I haven't eaten rabbit since last century! (It's currently being "jugged" in the slow cooker, in preparation for being a Wabbit Pie tomorrow
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #1065
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I have a Amish raised chicken of about 3 lbs. It needs to be cooked today, and I have no idea about what to do with it. As far as flavoring, it will be backed since it will be to hot this afternoon to smoke it.

HELP ME MR. WIZARD!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote