The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Kill AT&T

I hate them... for oh so many blood boiling reasons... which I will not bore you with for a change... instead I ask the following:

Is there anyway to move to another provider... and keep our existing phones? I have the samsung magnet and Flint has the Blackberry Curve. It isn't that I'm attached to my phone... I just don't want to buy a new one... oh... and I don't want to be stuck in a contract. I want a plan that gives me everything for less than what AT&T offers.

IF I don't get away from the bastards at AT&T I'm either going to stroke out or go down there and open fire.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Call verizon and ask. That seems simple enough. I hate my company because the new phone I just got a few weeks ago shuts off at will - ITS will. As in whenever the hell it wants. It also has less reception and is a PITA to use. IF I could, I would go back to my dumb phone that actually worked! This "smart phone" takes 4-5 clicks to do just about anything that my old phone did in 1-2.
So much for being so smart.

Oh and I have fat fingers which makes this stupid ass touch screen virtually useless. Its almost impossible to hit one of their microscopic little squares without hitting another at the same time. The only positive is it has a keyboard.

Sorry - Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Oh -I got away from AT&T a few years ago. A friend is still fighting over $200 of totally BS charges with AT&T.

I think phone companies are like insurance and politicians ... they're all the same and they all suck.

Sorry.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Sprint is better than Verizon. Verizon is better than ATT.

If you're not in a contract with ATT you can jump, but you'll have to get new phones. We got a really good deal on blackberry curves.

I think there are people who can 'crack' a phone.... but i'm not sure of the legalities of that...or what support you would get from your new provider.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
glatt

If you use your phone for talking and texting, and nothing else, you can't beat a simple tracfone. Far, far cheaper.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Gromitspapa
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Do you have a contract with AT&T and if so, will they let you out of it and keep the phones? My understanding is some phones are compatible with other providers and some are not. You'll need to call the other providers and ask, unless you want to research it online.

A friend of mine works for Sprint and if I signed up through a corporate account, I could get more than the $200 cost of the phone back in a $100 port transfer credit and a $115-235 smart phone trade-in credit and have a 1 year contract vs 2 years.
Gromitspapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Flint
Snowflake

OMG I am scared to hear about what happened. I am working late and turning my phone off...

And no, you cannot have a concealed handgun permit. :::puts husbandly foot down::: The foot has spoken.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Pooka

We don't have a contract...

I don't want to have to buy a new phone... I want it free. I'm also not willing to pay a fee to transfer my number.

I text and talk... not that it wouldn't be nice to have internet, but not necessary. Flint needs full service... internet, e-mail text and talk.

I don't want to call and talk to anyone... I don't believe that the individuals that answer your calls ever have the correct information... I believe with all my heart and soul that they tell you what they need to tell you to get you to go with their product... they are therefore not trustworthy. I like stories of personal experience... I find them to be more reliable sources of information than sales people.

Honey are you really working late or just afraid of me?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Pooka

LJ... you selling phone service... or you recently obtained a new phone through a provider... which one? Sorry... just looking for clarification... If you are working for one... I'd deal with you ;-)
Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

How do you expect to get a free phone without a contract? that's crazy talk!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Pooka

Ok... you got me there.... if I could get an HONEST figure as to what my monthly bill was actually going to be... and not some BS that ends up being about $100 off... I would consider a contract... providing it cam with 2 free phones or the ability to use our existing phones.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You should never have to pay to transfer your number, the laws on that changed in the consumers' favor a few years ago. I switched last Christmas from AT&T to T-Mobile. I got a Gravity 2 for free, better connectivity, a lower monthly bill, and got to keep my number. But I agreed to a contract. I don't know what sort of options you would have without one.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Go to Verizon and ask a manager what they will give you to switch. We had att for 4 days and went into a verizon store to see about a phone with a better vibration (my husband needs it where he works). The manager asked me what it would take and I told him free phones (3 of them) and a discount on service. We got it and the phones we got are great.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
a phone with a better vibration (my husband needs it where he works).
ch'yeah, ok....
Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Cricket can flash phones if it doesn't have a sim card.That means you can supposedly use another carriers phone on their network. I have not actually done this but I have heard about it. I don't know if it gives the same functionality either.

I use Boost mobile.No contract and unlimited everything for about 50 dollars a month and 10 dollars extra for international. I don't believe they flash phones but they do sell the blackberry curve.
Over cricket it is a better service as far as getting a signal when it counts but for a no contract unlimited service it's great. No hidden fees. I do miss my green samsung messenger. If my finances to not go south I might get the Samson rant which is similar.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
Pooka

AT &T uses sim cards.

So seriously LJ... do you sell phone plans?