The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Electronics Armageddon

Did I post about this already? I've wanted to so many times, but don't think I ever got round to it......

I have had enough!

These are the things that are bust/needed:

Car -no interior lights, battery light constantly on and door unlocker intermittent

Microwave -made weird smells and sounds and now randomly requires stupid amounts of time to heat stuff

My computer. Insanely slow and old and the battery no longer holds charge, and just tonight the power cable snuffed it so I can't use it at all and I have shitloads of work to do. we just managed to back up the files onto Beest's computer and now i've hijacked that for my evening's fucking about on the web....

Kettle -reasonably new, lid snapped off the hinge, needs to go back, can't find receipt

Bread machine -paddle fell down the waste disposer and got snapped (last week)

Electric Whisk -blew up a few weeks ago, replaced

Graphing calculator -Hebe needed one arrived yesterday -those things are not cheap

Rice cooker -the plastic basket system we had for the microwave died (day before yesterday), we cook rice often

Dishwasher -nothing's getting clean even though beest has taken it apart and cleaned off all the shite and we've tried every detergent going (it's about 8 years old)

Main Stereo/sound system stopped any output but headphones (yesterday) -beest took it apart, poked it and fixed it. But it's clearly dodgy.

Washing machine held onto some bleach from the whites wash and dispersed in the next (last weekend).....

All of these things in the last few weeks months. Which fucking AC/DC fairy did we piss off to deserve this?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Yer Not holden yer Mouth right !!!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
monster

how's this.... ?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Do you guys have a Habitat Re-Store in your area? You can find a lot of those things cheap at ours. Dishwashers, microwaves, breadmaker...I think I paid 7.00 for a breadmaker there once. Just one thought. If not, maybe the local thrifts? I know I have seen graphing calculators in pawn shops, but it sounds like you already replaced that.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Better , but did it work ??
Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
monster

thanks kero... yes, we do have a restore and plenty of thrift shops.

Currently breadmakers are running at $20 with no guarantee of working and looking pretty nasty.... dishwashers are only on craigslist beat up as all hell or priced as new, calculators, never thought of the pawn shops, but really, she's the oldest of 3 and it'll be good through college. Some things really need to be new -there were some on craigslist but they never answered emails and the prices were meh anyway,and the condition is unknown. I got a discontinued but OK one from Amazon for $86 instead of $160. Microwaves -you only ever see bulit in over the range ones in the Habitat here, and the other thrift stores have stopped selling them. The reuse center has them, but they're old and nasty and not guaranteed. And we have needs above and beyond the very basic. we're not poor poor -although it's been damn tough recently- but why the fuck do all of these things have to go at once? I hate having to prioritize on "everyday essentials". We also need a new roof and two new cars in the grand scheme of things.....

We're computer shopping tonight, though -can't take any more.....
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Better , but did it work ??
why, yes!!!!!!1111!11!111!11!

..I mean no....
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Graphing calculator -Hebe needed one arrived yesterday -those things are not cheap
did you go with the hp? used that one a lot in engineering. good calculator.

the car? check the fuse panel for the interior lights, the battery light is prolly the sensor assuming that the car charges fine. however the field wire could be loose. it;s not an airplane i know, the field wire on a plane is a separate connection. in this case, unplug all connections from the alternator and clean them all. might work. as far as the unlock, prolly a loose wire. good luck in finding that one.

edit: check the door switches first.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
monster

nope, had to go with the one compatible with the ones the schools use -texas instruments 83+ (silver edition). The one I liked was HP, but her teacher said it was very different and she wasn't comfortable with learning a new one -I mostly liked it because it was a better deal, anyway but not much better in the end.

My old one is in the basement somewhere, but it's a Sharp and wasn't working last time I found it, even with new batteries. I loved that calculator.

car, pretty sure the fault with the battery light is the battery light itself -yup loose wire. Can't be arsed to deal in this cold weather, will have to wait for spring... lights has us stumped. They were staying on. We bought the maintenace manual, checked the circuits, cleaned all the contacts ...and then it was Michigan winter and far too effing cold to be messing about with cars, so beest just pulled the fuse. But it gets old.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dishwasher problem is universal, they've reformulated every detergent to not contain phosphates.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

the TI is good too. gets the job done from what i;ve heard. never used one so i really can;t comment on it. too bad the teacher doesn;t know the hp. then again, it;s been 6 years since i used one. i;d prolly be lost on it too!

oh and yeah, the car can wait until things warm up a bit.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
monster

it's not the teacher so much -it's standard in the school district (the "she" being uncomfortable was Hebe, not the teacher)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ahhhh. ok. that explains a lot. 75 bucks or so as to 100 plus, yeah i can see that. keep things simple and organized on the more inexpensive level....
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Heck, just last week I dusted off the TI fx-7400g+, replaced the batteries and tried to use the thing. Couldn't quite remember how to just do basic calculations. I tried to write a program, forgot how.

I went back to the stone age and used a pencil and pad of paper for my calculations.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

that;s too funny! you break out the slide rule too?