The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #166
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

i hear they have cadaver dogs out in ocean city nj
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #167
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
i hear they have cadaver dogs out in ocean city nj
How many people are missing? Any reason provided for deploying those dogs? Or just usual procedure?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #168
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

What the hell is the purpose of dead dogs? Flotation devices?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #169
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't remember the details, except that there are people missing where it couldn't be determined whether they evacuated.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #170
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Yes, some people are missing. Also, some caskets have been unearthed that were buried. And then there are some human remains that no one knew about that are popping up.

Might as well find em all and put em where they belong. And don't forget that Jimmy Hoffa is still missing!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #171
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
And then there are some human remains that no one knew about that are popping up.
Margate, Ventnor, and Brigatine. A mafia that controlled Atlantic City lived in those towns.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #172
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Could a Governor and Weather Service not make the obvious any more obvious? On a barrier island, you either evacuate. Or expect to lose the car. Many lost cars because they stupidly stayed. So, yes, that is not just media hype. That is also an ignorant resident.
There was a hell of a lot of people affected that weren't on barrier islands, both with flooding and car loss.

Quote:
A few days later, go home. No damage. It was just another inconvenient storm. Reality - few lost their home. Enough to spend a full 45 seconds in a news report.
No damage? You have obviously never suffered the aftermath of water/sewage flowing through your house. Although the house looks intact, the damage is extensive and expensive, making the house uninhabitable until it's cleaned/repaired.
Quote:
Another tw rant about the TV media coverage, which nobody is denying.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #173
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

@tw: you are in error.

I made an observation, based on your repeatedly-expressed opinion (not fact) that 5 min/hour of storm coverage should have been sufficient. There was no emotion in my post, merely an observation, a couple of questions, and a suggestion.

Richlevy's post, on the other hand, contained considerable emotion. The emotion made it a better post, in my opinion, than if he had attempted to keep strictly to facts. It gave us more insight into his thinking. The purpose of communication, after all, is not limited to the back and forth presentation of fact alone. Your posts are filled with opinion and emotion.

That said, I believe you have a difficult time accurately identifying emotions (this is an opinion, not a fact, but neither is it an expression of emotion). You also are confusing opinion with fact when you tell me to stick to the facts and then want me to reply about unprofessional media coverage (unprofessional being an opinion; perhaps you meant to say inaccurate?) and massive damage 'that did not exist' (again, your opinion despite your provided photos - other evidence exists that belies your claim).

I disagree with your self-congratulatory assessment of your wording as a 'test' of my ability to 'remain logical'. You have inaccurately labeled my post as 'emotional' as a way of dismissing it without actually responding to its content. Your dismissal of emotion as 'adolescent' is invalid, but revealing. Your wording, in fact your entire post, demonstrates transference: you attribute to me that which in fact pertains to you. Your posts throughout this thread have been filled with opinion and emotion.

I decline to participate further in a conversation in which you demonstrate an inability to differentiate between fact, opinion, and emotion and attempt to compensate for that lack by resorting to personal insult. Fact, opinion, and emotion have their place; including more than one of them in a post enhances communication (see the post from richlevy). Personal insult is unworthy of intelligent conversation and/or debate.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #174
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
There was a hell of a lot of people affected that weren't on barrier islands, both with flooding and car loss.

No damage? You have obviously never suffered the aftermath of water/sewage flowing through your house. Although the house looks intact, the damage is extensive and expensive, making the house uninhabitable until it's cleaned/repaired.
Thanks for this combination of fact, opinion, and emotion, Bruce. Amazing how the three make for an extremely effective post.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #175
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
What the hell is the purpose of dead dogs? Flotation devices?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #176
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
@tw: you are in error.

I made an observation, based on your repeatedly-expressed opinion (not fact) that 5 min/hour of storm coverage should have been sufficient. There was no emotion in my post, merely an observation, a couple of questions, and a suggestion.

Richlevy's post, on the other hand, contained considerable emotion. The emotion made it a better post, in my opinion, than if he had attempted to keep strictly to facts. It gave us more insight into his thinking. The purpose of communication, after all, is not limited to the back and forth presentation of fact alone. Your posts are filled with opinion and emotion.

That said, I believe you have a difficult time accurately identifying emotions (this is an opinion, not a fact, but neither is it an expression of emotion). You also are confusing opinion with fact when you tell me to stick to the facts and then want me to reply about unprofessional media coverage (unprofessional being an opinion; perhaps you meant to say inaccurate?) and massive damage 'that did not exist' (again, your opinion despite your provided photos - other evidence exists that belies your claim).

I disagree with your self-congratulatory assessment of your wording as a 'test' of my ability to 'remain logical'. You have inaccurately labeled my post as 'emotional' as a way of dismissing it without actually responding to its content. Your dismissal of emotion as 'adolescent' is invalid, but revealing. Your wording, in fact your entire post, demonstrates transference: you attribute to me that which in fact pertains to you. Your posts throughout this thread have been filled with opinion and emotion.

I decline to participate further in a conversation in which you demonstrate an inability to differentiate between fact, opinion, and emotion and attempt to compensate for that lack by resorting to personal insult. Fact, opinion, and emotion have their place; including more than one of them in a post enhances communication (see the post from richlevy). Personal insult is unworthy of intelligent conversation and/or debate.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #177
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

you know what gruesome thing I was wondering? when that storm hit long island, I wondered if they'd find any more of those missing 'working girls' that seem to have been dumped in the nasty cluster of brush alongside the highway out there.

Creepy thought, I know. But I'm fascinated by whoever has done this serial killing. He's even called the sister of one of his victims-numerous times-to taunt her. He called her from Times Square so they couldn't get an ID on him.

I really want to know what this guy's deal is.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #178
orthodoc

@foot3:
Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #179
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No damage? You have obviously never suffered the aftermath of water/sewage flowing through your house.
Where are all those houses so low as to have sewage backing up inside? They are on stilts. No sewage or flood waters inside a house - except where built defectively. But again, to repeat the point. If this lesser storm caused that damage, then what would one do when an actual serious storm occurs?

So every car on every street was destroyed by falling trees? Nonsense. Isolated cars crushed by trees is not even a news event. Routine loss that many suffer in a storm. While most others do not. I even had a cement truck take out one. Three fire trucks, electric trucks, cable trucks, three police cars, etc were all on the scene. It was a traffic jam. Why not reported by the local gossip? Cars destroyed by falling trees: just another car crash. Not even a news story.

Household destruction (ie sewage in the building) begs the obvious question. What were you going to do when a really serious storm approaches? That (and not the hype) is a news story not reported by local gossip.

Other more responsible news sources are reporting what may actually become a major problem. Not trivial damage on the Jersey coast. Extreme damage to NYC's electrical infastructure. Key details include two major substations at 14th Street and 23?rd Street. A news story about something that was a concern even before New Orleans. Things that NYC's 'powers that be' need 20+ years to address. Well apparently they will now get more attention. Because a Nor'easter located over 100 miles away demonstrated why technical people were so accurately concerned. Damage, in part, because the 'powers that be' did not sufficiently address this problem. A news story unreported by local gossip's 24 hours of 'end of the world' reporting.

Crushed cars pictures are relevant to those who want to be emotional - ie orthodoc who took the bait. Even to homeowners, it is only a routine event in life. Sewage inside a house is the warning for homeowners who need to get prepared for an actual hurricane. Proper perspective also means viewing what may become a real news story. Electrical problems in NYC and in Northern NJ. Far from South Jersey where the 'end of the world' was being hyped. Over 100 miles from Sandy's eye.

Last edited by tw; 11-01-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #180
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I'm wondering about the fires at Breezy Point.

1. Genuine accident.
2. Arson by looters destroying evidence.
3. Arson by homeowners who are insured for fire but not for storm/flood damage.

It must be tough being a firefighter, having to wade through two feet of water in storm to get to a house that is on fire, AND trying to keep a straight face and not say "#$%& it, lets go for a beer".