The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm Glad we're the Good Guys

I'm glad we're the good guys... and they're glad they are too.
A personal perspective from a 10 year CIA undercover operative about how everyone views themselves. She makes sense.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

That was really interesting!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I couldn't get the vid at Facefuck to play.

I think this is the same vid:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

That everyone believes they wear the white hat is common knowledge for anyone who's been there and done that. Saying we can work with opposing policies if we don't demonize the people is a gross oversimplification. Sounds like someone became disillusioned and began sympathizing. It's probably for the best that person is no longer with the agency.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Ask anyone if Isis imposes a existential threat to America. Many (maybe most) will answer yes. As she says, then conversation ends. Fine. Show me those facts? "Yes" - without any reasons why - is an adult who is still a child. He has been told what to think by propaganda that feeds on fear. Only children are manipulated by emotions such as "them verses us".

Moderates need facts before any threat exists. Moderates are decreasing in numbers as more *know* only from soundbytes - not by first learning facts (a reference to a chart posted, I think, by UT in another board about peoples minset over many decades). Facts mean long posts chock full of reasons tempered by perspective - ie numbers.

Everyone can quickly measure whether they think like a child or like an adult. Did you believe Saddam had WMDs when honest and hard facts said no? While propaganda and emotions said yes. Anyone who believed that Saddam myth should have spend extensive months relearning how to be a moderate. How to identify what are facts. How to quickly dispose of hearsay, speculation, and outright lies.

We know why Petraeus was so successful ending an insurgency It was not more troops. He addressed the problem as an adult - virtually ignoring wackos in the George Jr administration. Since wars are won at negotiation tables.

We know why hundreds of Isis attackers quickly routed three Iraqi Divisions (ie 15,000 solidiers with artillery and tanks) in days. Same mistake that created a disaster called Mission Accomplished. Do you also know those facts? Or do you hide behind lies of 'good vs. evil'?

As that CIA agent said, it starts by doing what Kennedy did in 1962 - so that we are all alive. He kept asking what was otherwise a phenomenal brain trust the question they would not ask. What does he see? What does he fear? What was he told? What does he want? What does he think?

She is only doing what any adult had done long ago to understand why Isis is a threat - and to who? Even Obama had difficulty getting others who were at risk to take responsibility. Were you thinking like an adult - or still entertaining emotions and fear like a child? That underlies her questions.

Why do so many wackos associate Isis with a massacre in Orlando? I am surprised these children also did not label an alligator as an Isis terrorist. Maybe they could not make that lie stick. Since Isis did not take responsibility for that attack, then fear could not be created.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Ask anyone if Isis imposes a existential threat to America. Many (maybe most) will answer yes. As she says, then conversation ends. Fine. Show me those facts? "Yes" - without any reasons why - is an adult who is still a child. He has been told what to think by propaganda that feeds on fear. Only children are manipulated by emotions such as "them verses us".

Moderates need facts before any threat exists. Moderates are decreasing in numbers as more *know* only from soundbytes - not by first learning facts (a reference to a chart posted, I think, by UT in another board about peoples minset over many decades). Facts mean long posts chock full of reasons tempered by perspective - ie numbers.

Everyone can quickly measure whether they think like a child or like an adult. Did you believe Saddam had WMDs when honest and hard facts said no? While propaganda and emotions said yes. Anyone who believed that Saddam myth should have spend extensive months relearning how to be a moderate. How to identify what are facts. How to quickly dispose of hearsay, speculation, and outright lies.

We know why Petraeus was so successful ending an insurgency It was not more troops. He addressed the problem as an adult - virtually ignoring wackos in the George Jr administration. Since wars are won at negotiation tables.

We know why hundreds of Isis attackers quickly routed three Iraqi Divisions (ie 15,000 solidiers with artillery and tanks) in days. Same mistake that created a disaster called Mission Accomplished. Do you also know those facts? Or do you hide behind lies of 'good vs. evil'?

As that CIA agent said, it starts by doing what Kennedy did in 1962 - so that we are all alive. He kept asking what was otherwise a phenomenal brain trust the question they would not ask. What does he see? What does he fear? What was he told? What does he want? What does he think?

She is only doing what any adult had done long ago to understand why Isis is a threat - and to who? Even Obama had difficulty getting others who were at risk to take responsibility. Were you thinking like an adult - or still entertaining emotions and fear like a child? That underlies her questions.

Why do so many wackos associate Isis with a massacre in Orlando? I am surprised these children also did not label an alligator as an Isis terrorist. Maybe they could not make that lie stick. Since Isis did not take responsibility for that attack, then fear could not be created.
So, you think the alligators are the good guys and we should tell ISIS they've won a free trip to the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa at Walt Disney World to go swimming in the Seven Seas Lagoon to test your theory. If the alligators don't eat them, it's because they're in cahoots. If the alligators do eat them, that proves you're right. Let's do it!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
That everyone believes they wear the white hat is common knowledge for anyone who's been there and done that. Saying we can work with opposing policies if we don't demonize the people is a gross oversimplification. Sounds like someone became disillusioned and began sympathizing. It's probably for the best that person is no longer with the agency.
Well said. I was beginning to wonder about that. Makes far more sense