The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #2101
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I read a book about a woman held imprisoned in Thailand for drug smuggling.
She was guilty and freely admitted it, although she was coerced and some of it was a bit "wah wah wah".

Still, she said that her time in the "Bangkok Hilton", one of the most notoriious prisons in the world, was better than prison in the UK when she was released back here to serve the rest of her sentence. Because there she had work to do, she met and conversed with other women, she felt her time was served - if not usefully - then at least productively. Prison in the UK in comparison was a death of the mind and the soul.

She might not have had the "three hots and a cot" that people so resent here, but she certainly had the punishment. Not sure why. It certainly wasn't intended as protection for society, or even rehab. What kind of stupid of numb cunt would ever try to smuggle drugs after a conviction?

I quite like what the Dutch do.
Take the drugs, destroy them, send the mules back home.
They don't pay for their upkeep, they don't pay for trials, they just pack them off. Now that's a deterrant, surely? To anyone so desperate for food and housing to want to go to prison? Which according to our right wing press, all crimials secretly want to do.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #2102
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
@ Dana

Y'all don't never want to go to a South American prison.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #2103
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I quite like what the Dutch do.
Take the drugs, destroy them,
yeah, destroy them, right. Just the thing I'd do if I were a Dutch narcotics officer.

Hey! New career idea coming!!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #2104
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
yeah, destroy them, right. Just the thing I'd do if I were a Dutch narcotics officer.

Hey! New career idea coming!!!
Isn't destroy a synonym for re-sell?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #2105
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Isn't destroy a synonym for re-sell?
Not in my Dutch-to-English book. It's a synonym for 'partake of yourself why don't you?'
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #2106
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Well, they don't specify how the drugs were destroyed, did they? I imagine after they've been used once they're really no good to anyone anymore.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #2107
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Well, they don't specify how the drugs were destroyed, did they? I imagine after they've been used once they're really no good to anyone anymore.
Not unless it's a suppository and you accidentally poop it out.

(shades of Trainspotting) The Filthiest Toilet in Edinborough

—James Barrie

Old 12-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #2108
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oh, wow.

The nurse who was the subject of a prank call about Kate being in the hospital (some DJ's called and pretended to be Queen and Duke or whatever) and this nurse has now been found dead.

Apparently a suicide.

Who'd think that a little joke like that could go so wrong?

—James Barrie

Old 12-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #2109
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Horrible, in every way, for everyone.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #2110
Ibby
erika

Quote:
"yes, lieutenant, I burned the entire shipment. Yes, the whole pound of it. What? Oh, yes sir, it did take a while, but only a week or so, sir. I had some help."
Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #2111
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Umm, I recently heard some rather disturbing stories contradicting this.

Apparently, some of the gay parties linked to the Mardi Gras in Sydney become "sweat parties". Most people there would have had something, and a small percentage of it comes out through sweat, which the other party-goes would then lick off. Mutually.

And there was one other chap, who reasoned that a much larger percentage is passed out through urine, and ... [censored in the name of good taste] ... and thus earned the nickname "trough-man".

Humans are weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Oh, wow.

The nurse who was the subject of a prank call about Kate being in the hospital (some DJ's called and pretended to be Queen and Duke or whatever) and this nurse has now been found dead.

Apparently a suicide.

Who'd think that a little joke like that could go so wrong?
The dicks behind that have a long record of poor taste and bad judgement and have been pulled off air before. Then let back on. The station is again in crisis management, all ads have been pulled, and last night seven of the top ten most read stories on my city's newspaper website were connected to this.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #2112
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Why are news stories finding it important to specify that the nurse was from India?
The fact that she possibly killed herself over this would be diminished if she was from Poland or China?

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #2113
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe for the people scratching their head trying to figure out why she took it so seriously to off herself. That doesn't sound like keep calm and carry on.

But probably because there is so little facts to the story, you can tell the whole thing in a paragraph even if you use $2 words, they need filler.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #2114
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost View Post
Why are news stories finding it important to specify that the nurse was from India?
The fact that she possibly killed herself over this would be diminished if she was from Poland or China?
Because there have been rumors that she was already suffering from workplace discrimination, like MANY people of Indian and Pakistani descent working in Britain do. There isn't major anti-polish sentiment in Britain, and not nearly as much anti-chinese sentiment as anti-Indian, either. It was the ridicule and racism connected to her screw-up on the phone that pushed her over the edge, supposedly.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #2115
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

She died of embarrassment.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote