The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #61
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Hah! I love selling something that took about forty adventures to put together for 350,000 Meat.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #62
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

What did you sell?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #63
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Presuming you know what to do with those 40 moves. Which I don't. I'm stuck just whacking shit/rats/goblins/haikus interspersed with the occasional interesting fumble like where I drop my tongs on my throat. : ouch :

Do you just "pick" ingredients / componenents and toss them together? I lack the necessary entreprenurial spirit, I think.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #64
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I tried sticking a few things together with meat paste, but I haven't found any winning combinations. I really thought the seal tooth and vampire hunter stake would be a big seller too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #65
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Well, it helps (a) to be Ascended and (b) to have chosen a Moxie sign post-Ascension, as that gives me access to a zone that mere mortal folk can't find yet. A bit of tinkering and combining and getting lucky with monster drops and spoiler-reading and VOILA, a Deactivated MicroMechaMech familiar hits the Mall. I shall likely repeat this until the novelty wears off.

New zones almost always end up with sky-high prices for their items. For instance, one of the items that you can obtain post-Ascension as a Moxie sign is a Goth Kid T-Shirt. It's VERY easy to obtain; a common item that costs < 500 meat produces it if you've met its Ascension/sign prerequisite. I got mine, and sold it for 100K+ _before_ everyone else realized that anyone who could wear a Shirt in the first place could do the same.

Likewise, the Hovering Sombrero familiar was sky-high right after South Of The Border opened up. It dropped substantially once people realized that unlike the Spectral Pickle Factory, South Of The Border wasn't going away.

There are very specific "recipes" for combinations. Lots of things can be combined with meat paste to make other things, and those with the necessary skills and/or tools can craft meat weapons, turtle helmets, cocktails, food, jewelry, and other things. Spoiler sites help dramatically in doping out what's what and what'll be helpful, as does joining a clan with people in it who have such information / experience. Alternatively, experiment; if two items can't be combined with meat paste, the attempt costs you nothing and your paste isn't used up.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #66
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Other tips:

Play around in the Mall, searching for semi-random things. You'll be amazed at what people will sell for 10 meat at times, or at least a substantial discount.

Likewise, the Flea Market contains a huge number of both over- and under-priced items. Learn to tell the difference and you can make a lot of meat via unfettered capitalism, albeit slowly.

And never underestimate what lazy oldbies will pay for newbie items (razor-sharp lids, spider webs) that have a use much later in the game.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #67
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

*doesn't even try to snatch the pebble from the master's hand on 'cause of account of writing all this good sh*t down*

*shakes out writer's cramp from hand*

*bows*

Yes, Master.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #68
perth
Strong Silent Type

Look for "warm subject gift certificates". I bought 40 of these once for 10 meat each. Using them nets you around 400 each.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #69
mrnoodle
bent

what's the value of recipes? should I make the drinks and drink them? sell them? just drink mad train wine? for that matter, how do you combine food items? meat paste doesn't work.

And what's ascension? I think I started my guy(s) the day before it happened. Am I ascended, or is it something I have to do myself?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #70
Happy Monkey

Cooked stuff is (almost?) always better than the sum of its ingredients, so always cook stuff if you can.

Go to the market and buy an oven to cook stuff. You can also get a cocktailcrafting kit, but I'm pretty far along and haven't found much in the way of ingredients yet. I may not be looking in the right places, though.

Ascention is what happens when you "win" the game. You start over at level one, but you can keep one of your familiars and one of your skills, and you pick a new class. You can also place bragging-rights restrictions on your new runthrough, such as no food and/or alcohol. There's a few other things as well, but I haven't ascended yet.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #71
headsplice
Relaxed

I dropped a little money off in the clan coffer. Didn't really need it at this point. Buy something neat for us, like a Moxie trainer.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #72
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Another fun hint: once you've got the basics covered for your Clan (50K for the Meat Tree, the Gym, etc.), DO NOT deposit meat directly into the Clan coffers. Once it's in there, it can't come out, and it's only good for (a) clan warfare, which is useless, and (b) ridiculously expensive stat boosts.

Instead, deposit meat stacks (dense or otherwise) into the Clan Stash, as those can be reconverted into normal meat as necessary.

Cooking is much easier with a Chef-in-the-Box. Finding the parts for a Chef-in-the-Box is left as an exercise for the reader. (Hint: You need a brain to use it intelligently, something to put it in, something to put on that, something to put all of that in, and something to keep all of that in the something that you put all of that in, along with something the end product can cook with.)

Some recipes (those involving Dry Noodles or Scrumptious Reagents) require special skills to cook, belonging to Pastamancers and Saucerors respectively. No skill, no food.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #73
Happy Monkey

Do you need anything special to find the brain? I know where they are, but haven't found any after many tries. Does the quest associated with that area have to be completed?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #74
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

They drop when they feel like it. The monster type that drops them should be obvious when you see them.

Item drops in general aren't as frequent as they may have been in the old days. I haven't noticed _that_ much difference, but sometimes it seems like you're waiting forever for something in particular to pop up. I spent a day or two trying to get an Acoustic Guitarrr last week, for instance.

There are a few things that can help with that. Accordian Thieves can cast the Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric buff on you, which boosts your chances of drops. Disco Bandits can buy a skill that increases drops passively. The Baby Gravy Fairy familiar boosts your drop percentage, more so as it grows in weight. Some special items that require donations or megabucks (Mr. Accessory Jr., some of the esoteric familiars) can also help in that respect.

Likewise, Polka of Plenty, a Leprechaun familiar, and some other things add to the meat monsters drop.

I don't think there is a quest in the area where Disembodied Brains drop, so maybe you know and maybe you don't.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #75
Happy Monkey

I double checked on a spoiler site. There are two drop areas, and the one I wasn't going to (apparently the one you are referring to) looks like it has better alternate drops anyway, so I'll head over there.

I want my damn meat maid.
|_______________| [pics]