The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-04-2004, 12:29 PM   #91
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Didn't Jesus also tell people to sell their belongings and buy a sword? I seem to recall him saying "render unto Caeser what is Caeser's" as well---I read that to say that one should obey the laws of wherever one happens to be. Then there was something about, "I come not to bring peace, but a sword," or something to that effect.

The bible has too many contradictions to use it as backup for an argument. I'm not worried about the moral aspect of the death penalty. I'm worried about the lawful aspect of it.

The simple fact is, you'd have to live under a rock these days, to not know the penalty for murder. THEREFORE, if you decide to take the chance, you know what you're getting yourself into. You make the choice. No one twists your arm; no one makes the choice for you. Therefore, in the interests of protecting society, if you're caught, we (theoretically) eliminate the threat you pose to society.

I don't see the problem. It's not like we spring it on people. THEY KNOW. THEY choose to murder. I have better uses for my hard-earned money than paying for them for the rest of their lives.

Course, we could send them all to Europe, and let you guys rehabilitate them....

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:29 PM   #92
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Then we have different definitions of "person".
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #93
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by DanaC
...but they never do stop being people.
On that we agree, which, to my mind, makes it even worse.

People know better.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:32 PM   #94
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
Course, we could send them all to Europe, and let you guys rehabilitate them....

Sidhe
I like.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #95
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Then we have different definitions of "person".
A member of the species Homo Sapiens
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #96
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:

The bible has too many contradictions to use it as backup for an argument. I'm not worried about the moral aspect of the death penalty. I'm worried about the lawful aspect of it.
I only bring it up because Buddha was brought up.

Quote:

The simple fact is, you'd have to live under a rock these days, to not know the penalty for murder. THEREFORE, if you decide to take the chance, you know what you're getting yourself into. You make the choice. No one twists your arm; no one makes the choice for you. Therefore, in the interests of protecting society, if you're caught, we (theoretically) eliminate the threat you pose to society.

I don't see the problem. It's not like we spring it on people. THEY KNOW. THEY choose to murder. I have better uses for my hard-earned money than paying for them for the rest of their lives.
You're preaching to the choir here.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #97
Lady Sidhe

I was preaching to whomever you quoted *grins*.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Old 05-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #98
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:

I have more definitive qualifications. "A member of the Homo Sapiens species" is an animal. I reject that people are nothing but animals.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #99
Lady Sidhe

Quote:

Like a friend of mine says, there's a difference between a human being and a person.

Any Homo Sapiens can be defined as a human being...but not everyone is a person.

And doesn't Homo Sapiens mean "thinking man"? This would imply that complex reasoning ability is the major difference between homo sapiens and other creatures, which means that because homo sapiens CAN reason in such a complex manner, that they should be held to a higher standard of conduct, and should be made to be responsible for that conduct.

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 05-04-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:44 PM   #100
Lady Sidhe

Are we having fun yet?

-Rita Rudner

Old 05-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #101
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
And doesn't Homo Sapiens mean "thinking man"? This would imply that thought is the major difference between homo sapiens and other creatures, which means that because homo sapiens can reason, that they should be held to a higher standard of conduct, and should be made to be responsible for that conduct.
I would agree entirely
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #102
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
He is a person. he has done awful things and I can understand a desire to punish someone who has done awful things.....but they never do stop being people.
Kumbaya brother. **Group hug**
Old 05-04-2004, 01:10 PM   #103
Lady Sidhe

Quote:

I would agree entirely

What would you have the law do? Just keep warehousing them until most of our taxes go to their upkeep? What if one escapes? Then what?

I have a proposition for all these people who hold candlelight vigils before an execution: We'll let him go, but it will be into YOUR custody. You have to take him into your house, with your wife/husband and children. You're responsible for his behavior from now on. If he kills again, not only will we fry HIM, but we'll hold you as an abbettor to his crimes.

We can't kill 'em, we can't experiment on 'em, and they're an utterly useless waste of taxes...taxes that could be spent on schools, roads, or other things that benefit society.

What would you have us do?

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #104
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:

I have a proposition for all these people who hold candlelight vigils before an execution: We'll let him go, but it will be into YOUR custody. You have to take him into your house, with your wife/husband and children. You're responsible for his behavior from now on. If he kills again, not only will we fry HIM, but we'll hold you as an abbettor to his crimes.

Sidhe
Oh, oh, I have one. How about if one innocent person is executed, then you'll agree to be executed too, to make it all better! Life for a life thing, you know?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #105
Lady Sidhe

And something that seem to have been forgotten in this struggle for murderers' rights to humane treatment: the victims and their families are people too.

The mother who lost her child on those railroad tracks in England, or to a rapist/murderer is a person who will never stop hurting. Children who lose their mothers/fathers/siblings are people who will never stop hurting. Husbands and wives who lose their partners are people who will never stop hurting.

Screw the murderer. He gave up his rights to humane treatment when he abandoned humane behavior.

Like I said before: we put down rabid animals because they pose a danger. We should put down murderers the same way.

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner