The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 08-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Exclamation STOOOOOPID!!!!!

I decided to put this in parenting because...well, we all need a laugh. Thought about putting it in Humor, but it's actually not so much funny as it is strange. Almost put it in the general area, but well...I just thought putting it here was appropriate.

Don't know if anyone's heard of this (I heard it on the radio this morning), but there's a couple who, for the last 18 years, has been raising a CABBAGE PATCH KID as their son. NO shit. His name is Kevin, and they've got a college fund set up for him, he has his own 1000 square foot playroom, and his own real dog.

Uh huh. They even talk to this inanimate object, and talk back to themselves in his voice. IMO, they need to step AWAY from the crack pipe.

PRN cocktail, anyone?

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

A 1000 sq ft playroom...our current apartment is 805 sq ft.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Damn Creepy!

“I’ve wished a little bit of harm on Kevin. But I wonder if you stuck needles in him, would he really feel it?”

Reminds me of dogs or cats adopting favorite toys as children -- how very odd. Can anyone pick out the number of mental disorders, not the least of which is the want to be in the media spotlight, maybe?

Lester and "Cynthia" Gaba would be proud.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Pat said: “With every kid that you adopt, you promise to love them and be a good parent and take care of this child. And that’s what we did with Kevin.” She described the boy as “easy-going, quiet and well-behaved”.

Did anyone else hear the twilight zone music as they read that article? Thats some fucked up shit. And that the real daughter is jealous of the "kid", is the whole family mental? Lock them away somewhere before they snap and kill a whole bunch of people.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Oohhhh-kaaaay....the daughter being jealous of the doll isn't so weird because it sounds like her parent's are showering this doll with attention and opportunities that she didn't get, but what IS weird is how she seems to refer to it as her actual brother, just like her parents refer to it as their son.

I can't WAIT to see how this kid's going to 'go to college' and what he's gonna do for classes and frats and sports and so on. If his college rejects him for the football team because he's a DOLL, are they going to file a discrimination lawsuit?

But, in their defense, Kevin's probably a model child and easier to care for compared to one that lives, breathes, eats and wants to borrow the car.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ask Candace Bergen what kind of special hell it is, to grow up playing 2nd fiddle to a doll.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

This just sounds so macabre.

Wolf? Helloooo? We have a nut-case story here and we need your opinion.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:59 PM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Did anyone besides me notice that the source here is The Star? Not exactly a paragon of journalistic virtue.

If true, though, I'll bet they were really happy when they hallucinated the little guy's first words and steps.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Wolf? Helloooo? We have a nut-case story here and we need your opinion.
I'm sorry. I'm on vacation, and have a hard time getting slang off the computer.

We have a very precise, technical term for people like this that we use at work a lot.

They are totally fucking nuts.

Although, looking at the picture that ran with the article, I can believe it.

Of course the local and national attention generated by this story is likely to cause some changes in these people's lives.

Neighbors will back away from them carefully and speak in soft tones.

And I wonder if their employers had any clue ...

I have had friends who have assigned voices and personalities to some of their teddy bears, but as far as I know they never regarded said bears as sentient, nor did they buy them much in the way of accessories, at least nothing more expensive than a Denny's Space Bear Digital Watch ($3.99 with purchase of any "Slam" breakfast, if I remember correctly).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:02 PM   #10
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

When I watched Totally Obsessed on VH! yesterday, they showed a preview of an upcoming show featuring these nuts. Even though it's the sun, I've heard about these folks several times in the last week or so. Even if they're weird, it appears to be legit.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:00 AM   #11
garnet

After just getting off a plane packed with children from HELL, I'm somehow thinking a cabbage patch kid isn't a bad option. At least they don't kick your seat, fight with their siblings and keep pressing the flight attendant call button. Thank GOD for alcohol on airplanes.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:18 PM   #12
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Thank GOD for alcohol on airplanes.
For them or for you?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
dar512

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
We have a very precise, technical term for people like this that we use at work a lot.

They are totally fucking nuts.
It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. Might've ruined a monitor.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:04 PM   #14
dar512

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
After just getting off a plane packed with children from HELL, I'm somehow thinking a cabbage patch kid isn't a bad option. At least they don't kick your seat, fight with their siblings and keep pressing the flight attendant call button. Thank GOD for alcohol on airplanes.
Some people should not be allowed to have children. Where were the parents?
Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #15
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Those parents need to learn the finer points of taking kids on an airplane. The trick is this: let your kids loose in the airport. Let them run around, play and play WITH them during that time. Play as hard as the surroundings allow, so that when time comes for the flight, they're tired and will sit and be comparatively quiet or even sleep. A few couples did this last year on a flight back from the Bahamas I was on. It worked like a CHARM. Total of 8 kids on the flight and not a peep out of any of them the whole time.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote