The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-31-2005, 04:46 PM   #136
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
PLUS!!!

You'll be getting a convoy of 475 busses carrying 10,000 refugees from the Superdome. Y'all generously cleared the schedule at the Astrodome until December for them. Right neighborly of you. :thanks:
i agree, that was a very noble/neighborly gesture and they are welcome to stay! also, people here in town are opening up their spare bedrooms to strangers as well.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #137
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

from the houston chronicle:

A sign directs officials and volunteers to the evacuee staging area at the Astrodome in Houston, Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2005. More than 20,000 people affected by Hurricane Katrina are expected to be transported from the New Orleans Superdome to the Astrodome for shelter. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2005, 04:49 PM   #138
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

jumped from 2.48 two days ago to 3.20 today here. And premium ONLY is available anywhere in this town.

NATIONWIDE GOUGING IN PROGRESS
pISSES ME RIGHT ON OFF
Old 08-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #139
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

one more:
Frank Kaljo, who said he can only afford one gallon of gas, fuels his car at a Marathon gas station Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2005, in Chicago where the top grade was selling for $3.89 per gallon. As the shutdown of supplies from the oil-rich Gulf of Mexico drove energy prices to hew highs, the White House signaled Wednesday it is willing to tap into the nation's oil reserves to help refiners whose supplies were disrupted by Hurricane Katrina. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #140
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Houston Chronicle photo gallery. worth browsing through.....
Old 08-31-2005, 05:18 PM   #141
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
jumped from 2.48 two days ago to 3.20 today here. And premium ONLY is available anywhere in this town.
You know what would be a real kick in the balls? Let us say, just for fun, that another storm suddenly forms in the Atlantic like Katrina did. Let's say that it starts heading for the US coast. Let's make it even more fun by imagining what would happen if the thing threatened a major city, like New Orleans, as a catagory four or five.

Now, know that during evacuations here in Tampa, gasoline completely dissapears. As in all grades of gas go away as people flood up the interstate and rush to fill generators. In 2004, even with good supplies, people found themselves stranded on the road while they were trying to get the hell out of town.

What do you think would happen, with the current pipeline problem, if the weather decides to take another swipe in the coming weeks?

The number of dead in Gulfport and New Orleans would suddenly be insignificant.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:27 PM   #142
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

that and/or the storm hits Texas City just north of Galveston and stays on track to hit Pasadena as well. then with that, most of the entire south will not be producing gasoline. some of the majors here, just to name a few include: Marathon, BP, Valero etc.....
Old 08-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #143
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

just saw a BP station in atlanta on the national news with $6.03+/- for premium
Old 08-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #144
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx
As the shutdown of supplies from the oil-rich Gulf of Mexico drove energy prices to hew highs, the White House signaled Wednesday it is willing to tap into the nation's oil reserves to help refiners whose supplies were disrupted by Hurricane Katrina.
Oh those devilish details. What does that report forget to mention? What is the other half of the truth they forgot to mention? There is not shortage of crude. There is a shortage of working transport factilities and a shortage of working refineries. But that is alright. You don't know this. Therefore George Jr looks smart. And making George Jr look good is the important point. So we open the strategic oil reserve.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:43 PM   #145
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
You know what would be a real kick in the balls? Let us say, just for fun, that another storm suddenly forms in the Atlantic like Katrina did.
Of course the New Madrid earthquake fault line in Missouri on the Mississippi is overdue for slippage. Don't things happen in threes?
Old 08-31-2005, 06:47 PM   #146
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx
just saw a BP station in atlanta on the national news with $6.03+/- for premium
Damn, that must be some fine gas. capnhowdy, what's the word on the ground in GA?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:21 PM   #147
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Damn, that must be some fine gas. capnhowdy, what's the word on the ground in GA?
$3.20 gal premium only..... 30% of stations OUT. Lines 1/2 mile long....

I'm with TW , open the reserves. But wouldn't that weaken our military superiority? I hope this shit doesn't turn out like I'm projecting.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #148
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
I'm with TW , open the reserves. But wouldn't that weaken our military superiority?
But TW noted how opening the reserves does not solve the problem. It makes George Jr look good to the naive. But does not solve refinery and transport problems. Does not eliminate the bottleneck.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:00 PM   #149
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This is north Cinncy, up about $.20-30 overnight.
Attached Images

slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:57 PM   #150
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I don't often agree with TW, but he's spot on with SOR thing. Won't make a bit of difference, because there's no place to refine it, and no way to get it to market if it was refined.

I can't prove it, but I suspect Bush was responsible for the hurricane.