The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #2281
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope

Borrowed it from a friend who borrowed it from somebody else. It's nice, but I'm about 1/3 in and haven't hit anything really substantive, mostly reminiscences about childhoods, how plucky and courageous she is, that sort of thing. I'm hoping there will be more details of the treatment and real assessments of her progress and capabilities, but I'm not expecting any. not Hopeful enough,.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #2282
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good luck with that. My mother read it also - told me not to waste my time.
Hopin she was wrong and you find something. PLEASE let me know if you do.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #2283
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

To Brianna

I read a book in one day, with a nap in between, but it kept me up most of last night because I liked it so much.

It is The Nobodies Album by Carolyn Parkhurst. The writing is incredible, and the story is no less incredible. Plus, the protaganist is a writer and her latest book is a rewrite of all the endings of the books she'd written before...so you get short stories, the endings of the books the character got published with, with alternate endings, in between what she is going through in her real life.

Because you seem to have the same tastes in books, I thought you'd like this one. It was available in the new section of my library so I bet you can find it in yours.

I thought it was amazing.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #2284
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Thank YOU!

I'm really needing a new read right now and I think we have the same taste in books, too!

I'm still waiting to get MAINE and I'll look for this one while I'm at the library.

many thanks.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #2285
Griff
still says videotape

Death of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales) : Bernard Cornwell This is like number 6? in the series. Uthred continues to kick ass. He is simply a great character in interesting times.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #2286
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Gabby ended up being pretty much what I expected it to be ... although, they did point out that her rehab experience was seriously not typical. I was the only person among my friends who wasn't surprised by her resignation ... they had been talking about her in the next election cycle and they were appalled that I was saying there was no way that she was ever going to be capable of remaining in congress. Turns out, of course, that I was right.

I finally read The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester. Awesome cross-pollination of science fiction and mystery. Neither genre would work for the story without the other ... good mystery AND good SF in the same package, rather than a convention mystery with spaceships and rayguns added to it.

Now onto Percepliquis by Michael J. Sullivan. It's the final book in the Riyria Revelations fantasy series.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #2287
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Percepliquis was awesome. Rare that a fantasy series stays consistently good from beginning to end.

Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabon

Had a couple of false starts on this, keep getting distracted by other (i.e., Kindle) books. This is one of the massive pile of books I ended up with during the Borders closing sale.

Not even a quarter into it ... it's a detective story set in an alternate history Sitka, Alaska, temporary homeland for Jews after WWII. The Alaskans seem to be kicking them out.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #2288
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The Greenlanders, by Jane Smiley. Very interesting content, but I find the prose style extremely difficult to get into. I gave up on my first attempt years ago, but I'm sticking to it this time.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #2289
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Bernard Cornwell is one of my faves Griff. Pisses me off that this particular series is only available in the abridged version on audible. Not gonna burn a credit on a 5 hour book.

I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. just started it, so.... I'll let you know.

Sick of my tapatalk sig
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #2290
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. just started it, so.... I'll let you know.
I just started it as well. Good so far.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #2291
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"The Lost Wagon Train" by Zane Grey

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #2292
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
Bernard Cornwell is one of my faves Griff. Pisses me off that this particular series is only available in the abridged version on audible. Not gonna burn a credit on a 5 hour book.

Sick of my tapatalk sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I just started it as well. Good so far.
Gonna need a report from both you dudes... after six months or however long this one takes.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #2293
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I get about 2 hours in per day, and its 25 hours long, so .....2 or 3 weeks?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #2294
glatt

I get through about 15 pages each night before falling asleep, and it's like 1000 pages long, so maybe by the Fall...
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #2295
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I think dana would enjoy this book. I want to play the mmorpg it's protagonist invented.

Tags
books