The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

Wouldn't it be a bugger if it was diarrea day? If you knew it was coming and there was nothing you could do about it except stay near the lav...
Old 11-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Maybe or maybe not it is BigV's D-Day...
but tomorrow, Dec 1st, is DADT Report day from the Dept of Defense

Let the games begin !
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

The report was out today....
Quote:
WASHINGTON – On the 17th anniversary of President Bill Clinton’s signing of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, the Pentagon just minutes ago released a multimillion-dollar survey of the troops that shows overwhelming support for allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly.

Some of the key findings:

* 92% of troops who worked alongside people they believe are gay said their experience was very good, good or neutral.

* 74% of troop spouses say DADT repeal would have no impact on their view of whether their spouses should continue to serve. This refutes the contention by repeal opponents that families would be concerned that their spouses would be working alongside gays.

* 84% of Marine combat units who worked alongside those they believed were gay said the experience was very good, good or neutral.

* 70% of troops believe that DADT repeal would have mixed, positive or not effect.

* 30% of troops think that DADT repeal would have negative results.

* The risk of repeal of DADT to overall military effectiveness is low.

* Repeal would not create widespread or long-lasting problems in the military. This would counter concerns from those who worry that the troops would be resistant to change.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, accompanied by DOD General Counsel Jeh C. Johnson and U.S. Army Gen. Carter F. Ham, conducted a news conference at the Pentagon to talk about the Comprehensive Review Work Group report.

Gates said that a strong majority – more than two-thirds of troops – don’t object to serving with gays and lesbians. He also said there was a “low risk” of problems by repealing the policy.

He highly recommended that Congress repeal DADT so that a thorough, thoughtful preparation can be made to implement the process of changing the policy.

Gates pointed to recent court challenges to DADT as a reason for Congress to pass the legislation, saying that Congress would be “rolling the dice” that judicial intervention won’t occur. DADT was ruled unconstitutional earlier this year by a federal judge in California, a decision that is now appeals all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

He said the Pentagon would need time to prepare to do the job right, and that the courts could force an immediate end to the policy and cause massive disruptions to the armed forces.

Mullen added three key points to what Gates said. He said strong leadership from top to bottom of the chain of command was necessary to make the change successful and smooth. He said it was important to maintain high standards of conduct and honor. And he stressed the need for an orderly change of policy, not one forced by the courts.

“I hope we spend as much time on the implementation plan as we did on the working group report,” Mullen said.

Twenty-five nations allow open service by gays and lesbians and all of them have implemented repeal of their bans without major disruptions – including close allies such as the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Israel.
Link
Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Can you think of anything scarier than a big, gay Marine coming at you with love in his eyes?

I really don't have an opinion here, as I am not affected in the least. By DADT, or big, gay Marines. Just trying to find the humor.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #20
monster
I hear them call the tide

DADT? wasn't that a weedkiller that caused birth deformities? or is that AT&T?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I thought it was a form of birth control.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
No, that's DCIM: Dont Come Inside Me
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #23
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Wasn't that DFFC? Don't Fuck Fertile Chicks?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #24
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
It is getting closer each day.
It is here!

Today is D-Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Divorce day?
No more callers, please, we have a BINGO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Dalliance Day, let freedom ring, ringless!
"Ringless"??? A bit of foreshadowing there, Griff? You get the consolation prize.

Today is my one year Divorce Anniversary. (Divorce-rary?)

Actually, the prize metaphor falls apart when I consider how much my life has changed over the past couple years. /begin flashback/

Tink and I met and married and raised our kids and all was well. But our lives changed, our kids and our circumstances changed. We changed. This is normal, unsurprising. But our relational habits didn't change, we didn't adapt to our new realities. This, then, became the source of considerable tension. Many of you were witness to this, felt some of the shockwaves of the conflict in our marriage. I can report from ground zero that it sucked worse than everything else I'd ever endured. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on a snake.

It was a long time coming. In Aug of 2007 she filed for divorce. It was something of an ambush and while that filing was ultimately unsuccessful, our bond was fractured, never to be mended. We reconciled and spent several months actually happy to be together again. You all witnessed some of this, too. Most of 2008 was pretty good. Toward the end of the year, the shine on our marriage wore off for Tink, though I would not know this until the new year. In Jan 2009, Tink told me once again she wanted a divorce, this time in person.

The strain of the previous divorce filing was so great and the length of our reconciliation was so short, that I could not, would not battle her again to preserve our marriage. Funny choice of words, eh? That's what the first reconciliation felt like. But by this time, I was out of gas. I acceeded to her wishes. So began almost a year of mortal combat about the dissolution of our marriage.

I don't feel like recounting all the details of this harrowing journey here. It was terrible. I felt terrible. I had felt I had no experience or tools to deal with my impending singleness. My whole world was positively gravid with change, and I did *not* want to be born.

But those new babies are born nonetheless, wailing and screaming in powerless protest at the blinding, icy change thrust upon them. They complain until they're exhausted then they collapse, and so did I. Their exercise and experience makes them stronger, and so did mine. Eventually, they complain for reasons, instead of about everything, and so did I. Eventually their world changes from one of terrifying unknowns to one of wonderous mysteries, and so did mine.

Today marks the end of a one year self imposed embargo on discussing my personal life. I have experienced more wonderous mysteries this year than in the previous ten years put together. There have been many more new personal records set, and broken, and re-broken throughout the year. It is no exaggeration to say that I am a new man. There is much about me that many of you would not recognize, though some of you sagely predicted such changes.

It is late now and I am going to retire. But I wanted to take notice of this day. I want to acknowledge all those whose interest and care and input brought me to this point. Even Tink, to whom I sent a nice message today. I won't say this transition has been painless--it has been anything but painless. But pain is instructive. And now I bear the scars from my experience, healed scars. I hope that my thoughts and actions reflect some learning and wisdom I gained from my instruction.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Sometimes it is a great success just to survive and heal.

I'm glad you made it to the other side, V.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What Pete said.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Congrats, Big V, although I'm always saddened to see the end of a relationship, especially when kids are involved.

BTW, you did let the cat out of the bag a little bit.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Big hugs to you, BigV.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #29
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Looks like you are stronger than ever.

ditto what pete said
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #30
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Well done Big V. Much respect your way for all you have endured in the past few years to try to make it all work and preserve the bond, but in the end I cannot judge you for your efforts. I can only wish you the best in your future and remind you it can only go up from her. Hang in there mate....