The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #1126
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #1127
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You need fake plastic trees.
And nails in your feet.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #1128
monster
I hear them call the tide

The hockey team manager (who has an incoming goalie) has been an asshole all season. ridiculously nasty when there's absolutely no provocation -even to my son, not just us...... and we have learned that this is a known modus operandi for him, we are not alone..... but anyway, I sent an email to the youngest's hockey team to see if any of them wanted to know about the high school team and I accidentally cc'd the manager in my reply to one mom. (I was looking up his email address to include it and forgot to remove it). I haven't said anything judgmental about anything but it was kind of a vague and quick intro and I just know he's going to launch some horrendous attack about my incompetence. And that's exactly the kind of shit he loves to jump on. I suspect I was 10 minutes wrong in the start time of the game I invited her to watch, for example (because his original email about it was 10 minutes wrong, but he's like a walking Inner Party -he is always correct and what he says right now is what has always been the case.... I really shouldn't care, but I may have to deal with the asshole for 6 more years and I'd rather not be subjected to this every time I try to be helpful, but I don't want to stop that :9

Oh well, thanks for listening. I guess I'm less pissed off now I've ranted, but I wish I hadn't been so stupid. most likely I'll get a "why did you copy me on this, you stupid bitch" email. Or there could be a missive directing the team not to answer any questions in case we stupidly answer wrongly which is of course far worse than not answering at all....... Did I mention what an asshole this guy is? ask beest. and he's never nasty about anyone.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #1129
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hey fuckers. I don't work for the goddamn food co-op company. Nor do I work for the trucking company. And I definitely don't work for UPS, who was actually at fault this time for your delayed delivery.

Guess what? My order was on that delayed truck just like yours. And the new 7-hours-late timeslot fucked up my day too. And I'm terribly sorry that you couldn't make it to the drop point, but not as sorry as I am that I offered to take your shit with me instead of just leaving it on the ground in the outlet mall parking lot. It's not my fault that I now have to be at my daughter's speech therapy appointment instead of delivering your shit, and YOUR shit, and YOUR shit personally to your homes, for free, because I'm a goddamn unpaid volunteer.

Come and fucking get it. Or don't. I honestly don't care if any of you get your 12 bottles of organic tomato sauce or not. You can't talk to my manager because I don't fucking have one. So bite me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #1130
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh you volunteers are all alike, every damn one of you has a secret personal life, while trying to make the world think you're all selflessness and light.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #1131
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

This is one reason I stopped volunteering. Let people pick up their own shit. I volunteered for a child mental health organization in the '90s and it ended badly. The sense of entitlement is way too high.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #1132
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Hey fuckers. I don't work for the goddamn food co-op company. Nor do I work for the trucking company. And I definitely don't work for UPS, who was actually at fault this time for your delayed delivery.

Guess what? My order was on that delayed truck just like yours. And the new 7-hours-late timeslot fucked up my day too. And I'm terribly sorry that you couldn't make it to the drop point, but not as sorry as I am that I offered to take your shit with me instead of just leaving it on the ground in the outlet mall parking lot. It's not my fault that I now have to be at my daughter's speech therapy appointment instead of delivering your shit, and YOUR shit, and YOUR shit personally to your homes, for free, because I'm a goddamn unpaid volunteer.

Come and fucking get it. Or don't. I honestly don't care if any of you get your 12 bottles of organic tomato sauce or not. You can't talk to my manager because I don't fucking have one. So bite me.
Damn, girl. Take a deep, calming breath, and relax.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #1133
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Why is it that if I have something important coming up - my Viva tomorrow morning - all sorts of shit happens?

I've had a bad back on and off for a few weeks, but this morning it was awful - I woke up with the pain and couldn't get out of bed. Couldn;t lift myself up to sit up - Tried rolling left - then right - couldn't make it all the way - tried sliding my legs off the bed - got stuck.

Eventually made it out of bed half on the floor and got stuck again.

At this point I'm thinking - shit what if it's like this tomorrow when I have to be up at the crack of dawn to get to Leeds for the Viva?

I managed to struggle onto the landing and find some painkillers in the cabinet - took 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetemol. Then a wave of pain and the feeling like something was coming loose made me feel really queasy - and then I broke out in a cold sweat, muscles turned to jelly and felt like i was going to faint - by now I'm back in the bedroom - tried to get to the bed to lower myself down (rather than fall if i did faint) lost my balance, couldn't correct and ended up falling - bashed my forearm on the wood of the bed frame, took a nice big chunk of skin off - now bleeding profusely from arm, stuck on the floor - ribs feel like something's popped. hella painful.

Then the sudden feeling that i need the loo, like fucking right now...crawled to the bathroom, managed to use the loo (tmi - not fun) and rinse my arm a bit then started to feel like I was going to throw up or faint - it passed by and I made my way carefully downstairs -

Got downstairs and the quesy hit again, this time I was definiotely going to upcheck, so carefully, but as quick as i could got back up to the bathroom and threw up.

More sudden cold sweats.

Thankfully the worst of the pain eased and the queasiness abated enoughfor me to very carefully walk the dog (with mum and nelle just to be safe) and get some prep work for tomorrow done.

But still in quite a lot of pain and worried about tomorrow morning.

Somehow this evening I have to try and have a bath (which is a bastard because there's a leak in the bathroom which means no water can be let out down the bath - therefore has to be scooped out by bucket and thrown down the sink) and wash my hair. All while moving very fucking carefully indeed.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #1134
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Why is it
Ugh, bad times, sorry to hear of this D!

If you're not actually ill, sounds like your body is reacting to all the stress of the event with physical symptoms... the anxiously-ill among us recognize it with terror.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #1135
monster
I hear them call the tide

can you have painkillers, hot water bottle and kettle on hand by the bed for the morning? Did you ice your back at all today?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #1136
Griff
still says videotape

Crap....
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #1137
glatt

Sorry Dana!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #1138
DanaC

Thanks all

Haven't done the heat/cold thing - I never quite know what's best and last time I tried a heat patch it seemed to make it slightly worse (or was just coincidental with it getting worse anyway).

Will definitely have painkillers and a drink to hand for when i wake - am getting an early night and settin the alarm for 6am to give myself time to get ready slowly with the help of the painkillers.

On the upside, I managed to do all the prep I had intended to do and having done a full read through I'm a little happier with the thesis than I was a few weeks ago.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #1139
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
On the upside, I managed to do all the prep I had intended to do and having done a full read through I'm a little happier with the thesis than I was a few weeks ago.
Maybe I missed it, but did you ever find the missing files ?

I figured they would show up a week after you turned in your dissertation.
... at least that's how the devil bedevils me.

Hoping tomorrow is better...
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #1140
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Ugh, bad times, sorry to hear of this D!

If you're not actually ill, sounds like your body is reacting to all the stress of the event with physical symptoms... the anxiously-ill among us recognize it with terror.
Yeah, that resonates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Maybe I missed it, but did you ever find the missing files ?

I figured they would show up a week after you turned in your dissertation.
... at least that's how the devil bedevils me.

Hoping tomorrow is better...
Y'know I never did. I am more than a little baffled by it. One thing I did notice though, was that whlst doing some work on a file at uni a few weeks ago, I tried to save and got a message saying that the file was read only - and that pressing save would close the document without saving (or something like that). I didn;t really take it on board but I have wondered since, if maybe when I lost that work I'd been working on a read only copy without realising (I have no idea why the file at uni was read only - it was just a working text doc) but didn't get the warning because of it being an old version of Word.

Though - I'd have surely noticed stuff not being there the next day when I worked on it again.

I dunno. My computers are in a dreadful state so I'll probably find at some point, accidentally moved to an unrelated folder with the wrong title so it doesn't show up on search or something. it's probably lost amongst the Doctor Who books.

Last edited by DanaC; 03-18-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Tags
limburger