The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Adak
Lecturer

The Real Mitt Romney

Since I live in San Diego, this is something that caught my ear.

In 2007 we had a SECOND round of bad wildfires sweep through the (mostly) eastern part of the county. Hundreds of homes were lost, as the fire was pushed by strong, hot winds off the desert (what we call "Santa Anna" winds), which blew at up to 60 mph. Several people were killed, and many pets and farm animals lost, as well.

The fire followed the winds, the fuel, and the canyons. Eventually, we had fires in the North, East, and West, and another large one in the Southern part of the county. Major highways like I-15 were seared by the flying, burning, embers. Some had to be closed.

Romney has a home in San Diego county, and he knew someone had been caught up in the fire area. Romney's son, called him up and asked what they could do to help.

Fortunately, the man's home had lost it's fence and a large tree, but escaped most other damage. There was a large stump still left in the yard from the burnt tree, however.

Next day, the Romney "group", including Mitt, were out digging a huge hole in the guy's yard, so the stump could be removed. Mitt, working a shovel, down in the hole. No press, no camera's, no blog about it, that I'm aware of.

That's Mitt, and the values he's passed onto his family.

The Real Obama? His half-brother lives in dire poverty, in Kenya, and has received no help whatsoever.

Romney has done a lot of these personal gestures to help others, far from the spotlight.

Last edited by Adak; 09-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

No press, no camera's, no blog about it, that I'm aware of.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Ibby
erika

the real Mitt Romney, at a private fundraiser for big donors:
Quote:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax. [...]
[M]y job is not to worry about those people."
Quote:
Describing his family background, he quipped about his father, "Had he been born of Mexican parents, I'd have a better shot of winning this." Contending that he is a self-made millionaire who earned his own fortune, Romney insisted, "I have inherited nothing."
Quote:
"These are problems—these are very hard to solve, all right? And I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and these thorny issues, and I say, "There's just no way." And so what you do is you say, "You move things along the best way you can." You hope for some degree of stability, but you recognize that this is going to remain an unsolved problem. We live with that in China and Taiwan. All right, we have a potentially volatile situation but we sort of live with it, and we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it."
Quote:
"If I were Iran, if I were Iran—a crazed fanatic, I'd say let's get a little fissile material to Hezbollah, have them carry it to Chicago or some other place, and then if anything goes wrong, or America starts acting up, we'll just say, "Guess what? Unless you stand down, why, we're going to let off a dirty bomb." I mean this is where we have—where America could be held up and blackmailed by Iran, by the mullahs, by crazy people. So we really don't have any option but to keep Iran from having a nuclear weapon."

Romney didn't appear to understand that a dirty bomb—an explosive device that spreads radioactive substances—does not require fissile material from a nuclear weapons program. Such a bomb can be produced with, say, radioactive medical waste. If Iran's nuclear program poses a threat, it is not because this project will yield a dirty bomb.

Last edited by Ibby; 09-18-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
While Romney is certainly reprehensible, I'm much more worried about Ryan.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Why?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Why?
Because he's worrisome. I'm going to bed now. I'll have a better answer shortly.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Romney helps out rich neighbours.
Obama refuses to give handouts to foreigners.

Neither are new headlines, shurely.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ryan is a loose canon AND he has that devilish hair-do.

And he's got those ice-blue eyes. There's some furor in there somewhere...

I believe form says a lot about someone even though I'm not SUPPOSED to believe it.

Look at Palin: she looked like an idiot and lo and behold, she was an idiot.

I know it' shallow of me. But I just get these intuitions.

Carry on.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
And he's got those ice-blue eyes. There's some furor in there somewhere...
He certainly seems intense. And seems willing to put his faith forward while forgetting the half about compassion. He might just be the most dynamic Catholic politician since Adolph Hitler.

Adolph never read Ayn Rand, but if he had he would have joined her book club.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I doubt that.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
The Real Obama? His half-brother lives in dire poverty, in Kenya, and has received no help whatsoever.
And you know that why? Because Rush Limbaugh said it?

Sound like Romney should be running for Vicar of a Methodist Church. Not for president.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

So Mitt's the kind of guy who helps a friend in a little bit of need, but not a stranger in great need.

I hate assholes like that.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
So Mitt's the kind of guy who helps a friend in a little bit of need, but not a stranger in great need.

Hahahahahaa!

Seriously. Giving handouts to his neighbors. Enabling his neighbors to be lazy. He ought to be ashamed.
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Adak
Lecturer

@Happy Monkey:
Yes, some of Romney's good deeds have come out, now that he's a possible President. Not all of them, but most.

@Tw:
Because a reporter was interested enough to go see Obama's relative, and was surprised to find him a very poor street vendor.

Nobody denies it, btw.

@Sundae:
The rich neighbors weren't affected by the fire. In San Diego, the rich people live along the coast. The fires always start in the eastern mountains - typically from lightning strikes, which are common there in the Summer.

This is SD however. We have a lot of homes that are three hundred thousand dollars. That's not rich, here. Just an average price of a home in San Diego Co.

@Ibby:
These "47 percent" comments were made at a fund raiser last May. Romney is saying that 47 percent of the voter, are unlikely to vote for him. As a practical matter, people who pay no federal income taxes aren't that interested in voting for a politician who is trying to cut federal income taxes, and to shrink the size/cost of our federal bureaucracy.

He is hoping to get just over 50 percent of the votes. As of yesterday, some surveys have put Obama at 47 percent support, among voters. Romney's percentage projection was correct.

In their surveys and focus groups, a candidate with a Hispanic surname, was popular. The Latino vote is an important group, that any politician will try to win.

Re: Insolvable problems, like the Israel/Palestinian problem.

You can't make intractable people, sit down and negotiate, in good faith. Every President since Kennedy has tried to solve this problem, either directly, or indirectly, through the State Department, special envoys or other back channels.

What do the Palestinians want? Their property (land) back, which is currently inside Israel, and death to Israel.

What do the Israeli's want? Security from the terrorist attacks of the Palestinians, and wars from it's neighboring countries.

Israeli's know perfectly well that they would be attacked inside their country, if they allowed the Palestinians to return.

You can make their leaders smile and shake hands (ala President Carter's negotiations), but you can't make them live up to their promises. If the respective leaders try hard enough, they know they will be assassinated by their own people.

You know this from history.

The Muslims have a religion AND a strong ideology. As long as they spread the ideology of hatred for the Jews (which they have had since [I believe it was before the Battle of The Trench, but not certain]. Anyway, the Jews betrayed them at a critical battle), there will be no peace. The ideology is reinforced in their school text books, and etc., almost without let up. In their value system, the Jew ranks in the lowest parts, along with the pig (which they will not eat and generally despise).

Until these ideologies change, there will be no peace in the Middle East.

Yes, "fissile" could be simple radioactive material, for a dirty bomb. A dirty bomb would kill a lot of Israeli's, if it went off in a city, but not nearly as many as a nuclear bomb (with the required fissile material, of course). The latter is the real worry.

Romney is not perfect, but he's a great deal more knowledgeable about business, and his team is a great deal more knowledgeable about the economy, than Obama and Biden.

If you want to see us go another five TRILLION dollars into debt, you should vote for Obama/Biden. Understand that programs like medicare and social security WILL be put into serious jeopardy by a massive federal debt like that.

When things start to pick up, we'll be hit by serious inflation, as well. We saw that in Carter's administration -- devastating.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post

Yeah, I hate him also - he keeps giving millions to charity, and making me look bad.