The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 02-08-2019, 02:43 AM   #2191
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I told grandpa we were hot stuff...
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #2192
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Things to consider

Pre-1980, the record of how temps went on the entire continent of Antarctica are based on two thermometers, and the ocean numbers are almost guesses. 1980 should be the starting point for graphics like this -- that is when we started accurately measuring the whole thing.

The lower troposphere satellites say this was the 6th warmest year on record. "The record" is since we have been measuring temperature, not all time. It has been warmer on the planet but not recently.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #2193
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
"The record" is since we have been measuring temperature, not all time. It has been warmer on the planet but not recently.
Those temperatures are locked and recorded elsewhere - ie geology. We know the earth has never seen so much temperature increase so quickly - even long before humans existed. No other temperature change comes anywhere near to what we have created in the past 100 years. None.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #2194
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Meh, temp goes up and down, always has always will.

I don't know that we're causing it, but, we prolly ain't helping.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #2195
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Was it after 9-11 that fake news stirred people up enough to twist their perception?
The 40, 60, 80 on the left side of the perception chart I put there because the original numbers were so blurry I couldn't read them. I found the same graph done by the PEW and verified they are correct.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #2196
glatt

Republicans perform better in elections when the citizens are afraid.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #2197
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But after they build a wall and we're all snug and safe in our beds, then they would do worse in elections. You don't suppose they would fabricate a bogie man do you.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #2198
glatt

Remember the terror level thing Bush had? LOL.

Name:  old-terroralert.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  27.8 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #2199
Flint
Snowflake

Everybody likes White men, except Black women. Nobody likes Black men, except for Black women. Nobody like Black women. Everybody likes Asian women, except for Asian men. The only group who likes each other back is White men and Asian women.
Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #2200
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

What's wrong with a little contrast in your printing, I could barely see that.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #2201
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Everybody likes White men, except Black women. Nobody likes Black men, except for Black women. Nobody like Black women. Everybody likes Asian women, except for Asian men. The only group who likes each other back is White men and Asian women.
♪ ♫You love her♪ ♫
♪ ♫But she loves him♪ ♫
♪ ♫And he loves somebody else♪ ♫
♪ ♫You just can't win♪ ♫

♪ ♫And so it goes♪ ♫
♪ ♫Till the day you die♪ ♫
♪ ♫This thing they call love♪ ♫
♪ ♫It's gonna make you cry♪ ♫

♪ ♫I've had the blues♪ ♫
♪ ♫The reds and the pinks♪ ♫
♪ ♫One thing's for sure♪ ♫

♪ ♫Love stinks♪ ♫

~Love Stinks by J. Geils Band

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:11 AM   #2202
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Regular taxes and Rich people taxes... Of course they're only showing the top rate which doesn't apply to most of us.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2019, 02:29 AM   #2203
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A peak of $5 Billion a month, some were getting very rich, that's a lot of war bonds...
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #2204
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Yesterday's electricity supply in California by type over the course of the day. See that big green bump during the middle of the day? That's solar. It only woks when the sun shines. The rest of the time, they have to bring the natural gas plants on line and import electricity from neighboring states. Nuclear output doesn't fluctuate at all.
Keep thinking about this a lot. The graph gets more more interesting with other news.

One, I had heard CA was going to close down another nuclear plant; I didn't realize it's the last one in the state, the one creating that black line of constant generation.

That happens in six years; nice work, hippies; hope you know what you're doing.

Two, there is a huge solar facility being constructed in Virginia. It will be the largest solar facility in the eastern US. It will use 6,000 acres, of which 3,500 will be panels, I think.

To build this, they are cutting down trees in an area about 40% the size of Manhattan. That's a lot of forest lost!

The largest solar facility in the east will only be rated at 500MW. I do not understand whether that is during sunlight hours, or an estimated average across time. It is sad that you only get 500MW out of losing that many trees.

For comparison, VA currently has two nuclear plants and one of them is planning an expansion. Currently those plants produce 3568MW of power, they are hoping a future unit will raise that to 5103MW.

After considering all these numbers, it still seems to me like we need another round of nuclear while we wait for a few more rounds of innovation on solar and batteries and conservation. At least, insist that panels go on top of commercial and industrial buildings first.

Or shut down the remaining coal plants and replace with gas, as the interim measure.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 AM   #2205
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder if they include the corporate owned units mounted on homes under contract, in their total output calculations?

Quote:
The reason is simple: Homeowners usually pay nothing upfront. A company like Sunrun puts solar panels on your roof, connects them to your home, and claims a tax benefit for owning the system. Going forward, you pay Sunrun to provide the bulk of your electricity needs instead of your utility.

I’d soon learn that the system was tied to the title of the house. It appeared that if we bought Jug’s place, we’d have to assume his lease arrangement with Sunrun. I wasn’t sure how I felt about this as a buyer, but it definitely piqued my curiosity as a journalist. I set out to examine the value proposition carefully.