The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #376
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #377
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Tell her to sign up in Colorado too, then send a needy child in her place.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:37 AM   #378
Griff
still says videotape

w00t!!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #379
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

really more reportage than braggadocio. them's the facts!

thank you for the update!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #380
monster
I hear them call the tide

and now it gets stressful. (for PoloGirl) ...her Honors thesis supervisor (who is also in charge of the Dig she does each summer) is advising her to go to Colorado because the program is "more rigorous"

but on a happier note, the team used her pic in a promo for the tournament next week....
Name:  UMWAPOtourneypic.png
Views: 239
Size:  398.2 KB
Old 02-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #381
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

She'd have to get acclimated (mile high over there) and culturally adjusted. I hope she likes mountains. I've lived in Denver and I liked it. OTOH, I've dated an Indiana native who went to CU Boulder and didn't like it enough to drop out and join the military where I met her shortly afterwards. Different strokes...

She'll need reliable personal transportation to keep from going stir-crazy, additional winter wardrobe, possibly backpacking and skiing equipment. It's about 30 mi. to the big city; so, she'll have to make the most of local escapes during the week. Send her lots of gas money for the weekends.

Would the "more rigorous" CU Boulder credentials really carry much more weight in the job market for her field than her first choice?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:55 AM   #382
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
...additional winter wardrobe,...
The way this winter in going in MI she may have enough by spring.
Quote:
Would the "more rigorous" CU Boulder credentials really carry much more weight in the job market for her field than her first choice?
Working harder to get to the same place doesn't sound logical, but there will always be some who take the high road for personal reasons.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #383
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The additional wardrobe will be specialized for recreational activities. She's probably not doing much skiing right now. Taking the high road for personal reasons has to offset the practical considerations she'll face like finding an affordable auto club that will make service calls if her car breaks down or something runs into her on trips out in the mountain range.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #384
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

From Minifob's Spanish teacher:

Quote:
I just wanted to drop you a short note to tell you what [Minifob] did yesterday. We are all having a very hard time, and I was not okay when I read about [teacher who committed suicide] to my 5th period. I cried through the whole thing, and my one little tissue wasn’t working. Out of all the students in the class, your son is the one who got up to get me another tissue. I thought that was the sweetest thing.
For once, I'm crying for a good reason.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #385
monster

Pologirl got into her two other schools with full funding too. And now she's off to Belize for Spring Break. Not remotely envious. not. NOT.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #386
glatt

Way to go, moms!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #387
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Best two posts all day.
Thank you, I needed that.
You two Moms deserve credit here, please understand that. Your children are using their agency to take care of what needs to be done.

Minifob's action was simpler and Pologirl's report is more of a fiinish line for a particular multi lap race, but both show that they know what to do and how to get it done.

As a parent, we often wonder if they're even hearing us. It can be exasperating, discouraging even. I am a little less discouraged. I thank you for making the world a little better.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #388
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
And now she's off to Belize for Spring Break. Not remotely envious. not. NOT.
No, not all...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #389
monster

monster's passive aggression: she's taking carry-on only. All our cases are shitty and old and were bought at thrift stores for a couple of bucks. I had been thinking of buying a nice swivel one. (for when I start on my travel fucket list ....any moment now....). So had she as she travels a lot, but she ran out of time to shop. I could have bought her one. But I bought me one and lent it to her, so at least my case is going..... and it's purple
Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #390
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
From Minifob's Spanish teacher:

For once, I'm crying for a good reason.
ooh sorry I missed this. That is what it's about. They can get all the good grades in the world and still not have a clue. Minifob has it going on. Despite all the challenges you guys have dealt with, you got there. Well done. Big Time.