The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

A Quorum of Introverts

Is this our moment? Telecommuting, social isolation, and a growth of quiet reason over rhetoric, can it be that the world so dominated by extrovert's bullshit and bluster could edge toward calm, quiet competence?
Old 03-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Thank you for your questions. All of our registered users are busy right now. Your OP will replied to at the first available opportunity. Again, thank you for your interest in The Cellar.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Squawk
Peoploid

I thought this might have been a joke thread - did you hear the one about the quorum of introverts?

I suppose the extroverts will find it the hardest in this situation. I'm an introvert, but I think there's room in the world for everyone. As they say, it would be very boring if we were all the same.

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

I do believe there is room for everyone, I just think introverts have been largely excluded from fields like politics to everyone's detriment.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Squawk
Peoploid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I do believe there is room for everyone, I just think introverts have been largely excluded from fields like politics to everyone's detriment.
Yes, when you look at Trump and (Boris) Johnson I see your point. We had John Major back in the Nineties who must count as an introvert. Also there was Ed Miliband who led the Labour party recently, but he didn't get elected into government as leader. I don't know if you have to be an introvert to be a good politician. You certainly need principles, and also some pragmatism. And a very thick skin.

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Is this our moment? Telecommuting, social isolation, and a growth of quiet reason over rhetoric, can it be that the world so dominated by extrovert's bullshit and bluster could edge toward calm, quiet competence?
Gilbert and Sullivan were on to something in 1889:

Quote:
In a contemplative fashion,

And a tranquil frame of mind,

Free from every kind of passion,

Some solution let us find.

Let us grasp the situation,

Solve the complicated plot –

Quiet, calm deliberation

Disentangles every knot.
Link

The Gondoliers
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
...where the introverts stare at their shoes, and the extroverts stare at your shoes...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:11 AM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I was listening to a radio phone in about the pandemic last night, and one woman finished her call by saying that as one of the twenty per cent of the population who are introverts, she was enjoying her current isolation.

Only twenty per cent? The others must be keeping their heads down.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

A lot of so-called introverts are actually just misanthropes who absolutely need other people around--so they can brag to them about being introverts.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Extroverts, the struggle is real. I sorta know these people.

https://wbng.com/2020/03/26/endicott...r-front-porch/
Old 03-27-2020, 11:41 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yup, a woman on Cape Cod who's heavily involved in all the community groups/activities and goes out and about every day, was bitching all her friends had deserted her because nobody would meet her for lunch or go shopping with her. She was going stir crazy after two days in a row not leaving the house.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This random woman accosted me in line at the pharmacy last night, going on an involved rant about how she got yelled at for going in the wrong entrance, "ma'am I'll have you know I'm a disabled veteran" (could have fooled me), "so I got my phone out to take a picture of her and she RAN away", all smug nods as if I'm on her side, meanwhile she's inching closer and closer into my personal space as I'm trying to subtly back away... Fortunately the pharmacist saved me by declaring that mine was ready and calling me up to the register before she'd even finished dealing with Crazy Lady. I doubt she's a party to be around even on a good day, but she's clearly hurting for social interaction right now.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

A good tactic is wearing a mask. I was given my personal space on my grocery run yesterday because they figure you must be sick. Pete made me one.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #14
glatt

My wife wore one of my dust masks to the grocery store yesterday and everyone was giving her a wide berth. It really works.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I'm updating my picture on all of my photo IDs.

Name:  Real ID Photo.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  5.7 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote