The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Was it something I said?

posting under SN as the walls have ears, so to speak.

I've been on one of those online meeting people type sites named after an arrow wielding cherub. It has been very interesting but somewhat maddening. I don't know if people are just rude and self centered or if I am doing something weird or creepy.

A number of times I've made contact with someone or vice versa and we've seemed to hit it off, a number of emails back and forth, even a few "Let's get together" or "I'd like to meet you" from them, then all of a sudden radio silence.

Seems odd. I followed up with a hello? email and not even an "I changed my mind."

So the ball is in their court and there it lies. I move on, but it seems curious to me. I am no different on thee than I am here, except maybe a little more circumspect on there.

My buddy pointed out that a) The people who join these sites do so because they want to make a connection and they have not been able to do that IRL, otherwise why join? b) When a connection looms close, they panic and retreat in order to keep the non-connected status quo they are subconsciously creating.

Sounds as good as any reason to me. Maybe I'm fishing way out of my league. I don't have a good sense of where I am on the attractiveness scale, although I bet my best feature is my mind and or wit.

Who knows?