The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #121
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There is so many ijits with big bucks.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #122
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Double digit ijits!!!!Name:  willy_nilly.gif
Views: 408
Size:  1.8 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #123
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Art is...
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #124
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

People like music because they like *patterns*. If the patterns are too obvious, we say the music is lame. When the patterns are typical enough to recognize, but unusual enough to be surprising, we like it. When the patterns are too unusual and unrecognizable, we say the music is confusing.

We then apply meaning and story to those patterns, so we can recognize them and codify them. This is actually all because recognizing patterns is important to all animals' survival in nature. One beat is a predator's footsteps, coming for us. Another beat is our family's footsteps, or even our mother's heartbeat in the womb. The sounds of both danger and of safety are a deep part of our evolution and our understanding of the world.

People like songs with lyrics, because they present patterns that are already given meaning. Before the development of writing and printing, early humans advanced by creating stories, poetry, and songs they could remember across generations. By using sounds that were similar in pattern (i.e., rhymes) they could more easily remember them. This gave stories, poetry, and music much greater importance as knowledge and wisdom could now spread across generations more easily.

This is why art is a part of human evolution, why it is deeply spiritual, and why nobody much lives without some form of it in their lives.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #125
Griff
still says videotape

The re-admission of middles and highs into my brain has reawakened my interest in different musical styles, it's been a blessing. I really think that losing touch with music and sound in general can have a profound impact on the brain and not in a good way.

From the department of familiar sounds: Paul Simon, who still has a beautiful voice, played two of his classics on SNL but with ymusic backing him. Honestly it looked pretentious and out of touch much like SNL generally, but maybe I'm a stick in the mud.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #126
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
... our mother's heartbeat in the womb.
Blues. The standard form of the blues shuffle.

You'd think that people would get bored with a form of music that generally does the same basic patterns over and over. But...

ba Bump
ba Bump
ba Bump
ba Bump

It feels so good.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #127
Griff
still says videotape

Coming Home by Leon Bridges is cozy as the womb.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #128
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

So you take a mother's heartbeat, the most reassuring thing -- and maybe you attach onto that a melody and/or lyric of deep sadness. Now it gets complicated, what is our emotional reaction now?

Maybe each part of the music pulls at us from different directions and so maybe that is part of the spiritual reaction. Maybe we find it as complicated as our own emotions? So when it's complicated, like the above, we find different things in it?

~ and then they use it in ads (and films) and it throws all that meaning away for something spiritually cheap? ~
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #129
Flint
Snowflake

Everything in our lives-- even sadness, pain and misery rides on the rhythm of a heartbeat.

I often think about the idea that America is a cultural wasteland with nothing to contribute to the fraternity of distinguished nations with rich, historical traditions. But, Blues. --Jazz! America is a cultural powerhouse! Sure, it's all a "melting pot" of African rhythms, but if there's any bragging rights, it all happened here in the USA.

I've been playing shuffles a lot for the last three years, and nothing feels better. I lose myself in it, and experience peace and oneness. Once I get into shuffle mode, look out because everything is gonna be a shuffle.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #130
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The blues was born here 'cause we beat our slaves gooder.

The mother's heartbeat is the emotional armor that allows us to listen to the tales of pain and suffering in the blues.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:11 AM   #131
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Not my mother's.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #132
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I could tell something was there, but I can't tell what it is:

Name:  idk.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  102.2 KB

First one looks like maybe a Beatles or Queen poster, the other just looks like the back of a playing card.

IDK

Old 02-08-2019, 01:46 AM   #133
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're not supposed to know, because if you did you wouldn't buy the trash.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #134
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  hammerheadfromsam.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  64.1 KB

A hammer head, made from hammer heads.

Koo-ky.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #135
Griff
still says videotape

Dumb idea, brilliantly executed.