The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #2161
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
My experience is that nurses, nurse practioners, physician assistants, and technicians are already doing to much of a doctor's job.
Nurse practitioners seem to have much better people skills than a lot of docs as well. We seem to be paying for a lot of ego in health care, I'd rather pay for competence. My cow-orkers husband is a NP in an Emergency Room and has gotten some good job offers lately.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #2162
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Nurse practitioners seem to have much better people skills than a lot of docs as well. We seem to be paying for a lot of ego in health care, I'd rather pay for competence. My cow-orkers husband is a NP in an Emergency Room and has gotten some good job offers lately.
I guess my issue is that we're paying for a doctor's visit, but visiting someone who is not a doctor.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #2163
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Well, like any profession...

The doctor could be some old dithering codger who hasn't kept up on modern medicine, and the nurse practitioner could be the smartest person on earth and know all the latest.

Doctors sometimes act like gods because people think they ARE gods. You don't want them to think they are god but you think they are better than everyone else in the medical profession.

*shrugs*
Old 04-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #2164
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #2165
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
This is a standard libertarian trick: if you can't get a good result in the Real World, where people make and judge and implement laws, just change the argument to the libertarian utopian "philosophy" world that doesn't actually exist and never has existed.
And we reply with the philosophical question And just why shouldn't it? We figure that we've got some insight into a better, small-government road. It's adult thinking, not dependent thinking. Free thinking, not bound.

I for one do not believe in Utopia and never did and thus escape that pitfall. I've put it to Libertarians that "pure libertarianism," however defined, isn't possible. Accepting that, some more libertarian ideas in our political culture would not go amiss among the party of adult thinking however denominated.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #2166
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You were the first to advance Constitutionality. Once Dux met your arguments one for one, at that point - about a week into it! - you said that addressing the legalisms is not the real crux of the argument.

You were losing the game you asked to play, so you demanded to play a different game.

Adult thinking? Childish behavior.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #2167
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You were the first to advance Constitutionality. Once Dux met your arguments one for one, at that point - about a week into it! - you said that addressing the legalisms is not the real crux of the argument.

You were losing the game you asked to play, so you demanded to play a different game.

Adult thinking? Childish behavior.

He shoots, he scores!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #2168
TheMercenary

As I stated numerous times...

Health Reform Risk: Young People May Opt For Fine Over ‘Obamacare’

Quote:
A big unknown in the new national health care reform championed by President Obama is whether the 14 million or so young uninsured young people will choose to pay thousands in premiums or to pay the $95 government fine that begins in 2014.

“If I am 25 years old and relatively healthy, it might be an economically rational decision for me to pay the $95 penalty for the year versus the thousands of dollars in premiums,” Leslie Norwalk, the former acting administrator for the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services, was quoted in a CNN report. “But for insurers to pay for more sick people, they also need more healthier people to sign up for coverage.”

The fine goes up to $695 by 2016, or 2.5 percent of an individual’s income, but some experts say that might not be enough to force the “young invincibles,” people under age 30 who haven’t previously been insured, to buy health insurance. Of course, many in this 14 million-strong group of young people are uninsured because they haven’t been able to afford it.

http://indyposted.com/17135/health-r...care%E2%80%99/
Old 04-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #2169
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. How did the CBO or whoever determine how many of the young healthy group would sign up for insurance? Did they assume all and calculate the saving from there? I really have no idea how many will sign up. Some...most... but certainly not all. Also, since a "child" may now stay on their parents insurance till 26 how will that affect the costs? Being on a parents group policy costs only a fraction of what an individual policy would - especially at that age.

Good read.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #2170
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I'm interested to see how this plays out. How did the CBO or whoever determine how many of the young healthy group would sign up for insurance? Did they assume all and calculate the saving from there? I really have no idea how many will sign up. Some...most... but certainly not all. Also, since a "child" may now stay on their parents insurance till 26 how will that affect the costs? Being on a parents group policy costs only a fraction of what an individual policy would - especially at that age.

Good read.
They counted on everyone signing up, that is why the math was fuzzy and the plan would never work as they said it would. If I were a 20 something I would much rather pay the fine even when it gets to the $600 range as it will be cheaper than insurance.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #2171
Redux

Quote:

Good read.
Start with some basic numbers.

Of the 40+ million uninsured, about 15 million are under 29 yrs old and 25 million are between 30-65 (ballpark figures)

Of those 15 million under 29 yrs old, a significant number (50%?) would qualify for Medicaid with the expansion to cover all individuals at or below 133% of poverty level.

Of the remaining, some might stay on the parents plan....but those married probably wont since their spouse would not be covered.

If they want to start a family, they will certainly buy into an insurance plan on the Exchange, unless they want to pay $8,000 (ave cost) to have a kid.

As was discussed previously, one can take a risk and pay the fine....but a serious accident, sudden major illness...and you risk bankruptcy at a very young age.

And no, the CBO did not count them all buying into the Exchange.

Last edited by Redux; 04-11-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #2172
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Ok then, how many did they assume would join?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #2173
TheMercenary

Quote:
As was discussed previously, one can take a risk and pay the fine....but a serious accident, sudden major illness...and you risk bankruptcy at a very young age.

Bullshit....

You will be covered under Obamacare.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #2174
Redux

Quote:
Ok then, how many did they assume would join?
Try reading the CBO report and the description of the econometric modeling used.

It describes how it determined a range of individual participation rates based on the rate of subsidy...the higher the subsidy, the higher the participation rate.

It also look at other mandates and used other modeling based on experiences of those mandates, including the experience in Mass (an estimated 3% are paying the penalty), experience with other mandates (ie car insurance and factoring in that health insurance is more costly than auto insurance) etc.

added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Bullshit....

You will be covered under Obamacare.
I would be happy to have a moderated discussion with both you guys.,,,where claiming "bullshit" or "failed" does not validate your position.

Until next time.

Last edited by Redux; 04-11-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #2175
TheMercenary

Quote:
Try reading the CBO report and the description of the econometric modeling used.

It describes how it determined a range of individual participation rates based on the rate of subsidy...the higher the subsidy, the higher the participation rate.

It also look at other mandates and used other modeling based on experiences of those mandates, including the experience in Mass (an estimated 3% are paying the penalty), experience with other mandates (ie car insurance and factoring in that health insurance is more costly than auto insurance) etc.
You can't back it up with objective data. If you can, present it. I would be glad to tear it apart for you.