The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #3316
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
329 football fields
Damn.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #3317
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The White House Screening of "The Hunt For Red October" Had Celebrities, Spies and (Maybe) a Sex Scandal

...and some guests that are still secret.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #3318
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

HEAVIOSITY did a pretty good write up on Ace Frehley.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #3319
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Absolutely, positively, everything you ever wanted to know and more, about flags of the world.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #3320
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wow - that was way more interesting than I thought it would be
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #3321
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Absolutely, positively, everything you ever wanted to know and more, about flags of the world, by Sheldon Cooper.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #3322
glatt

Phone game app:

Sea Hero Quest

That's the website linked above, but you just go to your app store and search for Sea Hero Quest and it will pop up. I read about it in yesterday's paper. Dementia researchers work in conjunction with a game developer to make a game that reports your performance back to the scientists and allows them to get baseline information about dementia that would have taken multiple decades to gather using traditional scientific methods.

The idea is that one of the first thing to go in people who suffer from any dementia is spacial awareness. They get lost in their own neighborhoods. Scientists want to understand this better, and one of the things they need is an understanding of what normal looks like, so they can find anything out of normal. The game asks a few questions about your age and gender, and then you go on a quest in the game by trying to find goals after looking at a map. It's actually kind of fun, and gets harder and harder, so it's basically impossible to keep a perfect score. The scientists study how long it takes different people of different ages to start making the mistakes. With a sufficiently large sample, they can gain a tremendous insight into the progression of dementia.

The game tells you that you are helping research, and after you play it for a couple minutes, it tells you the equivalent amount of research it has provided. I've played for about 10 minutes and that's the equivalent of 2 days of dementia research.

I did play it while buzzed last night, and in hindsight, I think they should have a button you can click to let them know if you have been drinking.

It's actually kind of fun, so it's not just do goody stuff.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #3323
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You're right, it's well-designed from a game perspective, which is unusual for researchy-based things. Neat find!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #3324
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sound don't work.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #3325
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Newsweek did a short, interesting interview with Gene Simmons.

Good, short read.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #3326
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Decent little write-up on Eric Clapton (who has a new album, 'I Still Do', out May 20) from USA Today.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #3327
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why do old statues have small penises? Some have big ones, but they all represented evil, or buffoons.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #3328
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Wait, I thought that we wer those were average size?

Actually, I always thought "Well who wants to get caught carving a giant cock?". Out of rock hard marble, no less...

Old 05-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #3329
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

My *phone* is so old that it isn't compatible with sea hero quest. My poor little old phone, demented.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #3330
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

When and what we ate, from 1970 - 2013, an interactive chart