The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #106
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Some dogs will fight if they are trapped in close quarters though.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #107
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
Until you've raised a JRT you really can't understand. Srsly.

My Frank would eat Cesar's lunch for breafast. I took him to a pre-screen thingie to apply for obedience training. He was like the church of god/holiness kid at gym class or at the pool. Just sat on the sidelines and refused to interact. He picked out a female from the crowd and instantly fell in love. After that he was focusing ENTIRELY on the bitch and all else was irrelevant.

@Buster.
I think you're just gonna have to do some serious fencing. Maximum security type.
I don't know. Cesar's handled JRTs on the show before. And my brother and sil has a JRT.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #108
busterb
NSABFD

Wonder if they ever show the F@#-ups? Why, no It's all taped and he has bull shit his way into big money. You watch him, I'll do the best I can for my 3 dogs.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #109
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

See that's the problem, they need a 4th for bridge.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #110
monster
I hear them call the tide

Can't you tie him to a post on a long rope, in reach of shade and water?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #111
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

or set up a dog run, a trolley system: http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Trolley.htm
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #112
busterb
NSABFD

I have over 100' of cable for Shelia. No room for another. No I don't like to tie a dog with a chain or rope. Shelia is loose now and past 2 days, but she comes when called.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #113
monster
I hear them call the tide

What do you mean, no room for another?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #114
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Where I live, if Animal Control sees your dog outside a fence with no leash, it's a $150.00 fine.
I understand they are trying to expedite a law that prohibits "tethering" which is having any animal on a rope or chain unless it's a leash while you walk the animal.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #115
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Yep. And the trend is spreading all over the US.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #116
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's just fucking stupid.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #117
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
What do you mean, no room for another?
No place in yard for another cable run.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #118
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's just fucking stupid.
I totally agree.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #119
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
Where I live, if Animal Control sees your dog outside a fence with no leash, it's a $150.00 fine.
I understand they are trying to expedite a law that prohibits "tethering" which is having any animal on a rope or chain unless it's a leash while you walk the animal.
If your dog is outside a fence with no leash, and you are nowhere in sight, you should be fined.

One of our neighbor's dogs (a pit bull puppy) got loose the other day and attacked a woman walking her dog (a shitzu). And the puppy KNEW the dog/woman he attacked. She lives in a small rental unit behind their house. She told the police she didn't want to file charges or have anything happen to the puppy. The shitzu that was attacked was taken to my vet. She (vet) told us the injured dog was OK, it wasn't really hurt. All the blood in the street (and there was a LOT) and on the dog actually belonged to the woman, because she was bitten numerous times while trying to get her dog away from the puppy.

I didn't even KNOW the people had a dog, and apparently they have THREE, all pit bulls. They never walk them, which is probably WHY there was a problem in the first place. I swear, some people just should not have dogs. Dogs need to walk, every day. Some need to walk more than others. But they ALL need to walk. AND they ALL need discipline (rules, not punishment).
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #120
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Wonder if they ever show the F@#-ups? Why, no It's all taped and he has bull shit his way into big money. You watch him, I'll do the best I can for my 3 dogs.
Depends on what you mean by f***kups. He gets bitten all the time. In one show, at the end of the show, he said one of the owners had put down one of the dogs featured on the show. It's sad too, because Cesar would have taken him and put him in his pack. Many times, if he is working with a person who he believes cannot handle the dog, he will exchange it for one of the dogs in his pack. The dogs in his pack (at any time he has around 40 dogs at his psychology center) are all balanced. They all get along with each other. They are not aggressive.

When I went to Petsmart the other day with my newly adopted dog, I met the trainer (he said I should put my dog in the advanced class there). He said he had met Cesar back before he had a TV show, and Cesar had told him in order to train dogs, he needed to know what he (Cesar) did (which is dog psychology, not training). The man said he was absolutely right, it has been valuable knowledge.

It IS a TV show though, so of course they are going to show the best material they have. We have used some of his techniques on our dogs, and they worked. We don't have aggressive or fearful dogs though. If we had one that was too out of control, I would consult a professional, which is what they always say to do on his show.

Tags
dog