The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

wrapping does hold in moisture. the problem is that you don't get the full smoke effect to the meat.

i've found out before, like the ribs that i started this thread with...ribs are not easy due to the lack of meat. hard for me to explain but take a brisket for example. you can smoke that for 24 hours at low temp (150-175) then put it in the oven to finish it off and it will come out perfect. i had put it in a foil pan and sealed the pan with foil for the first 12 hours or so and uncovered for another 12 then in the oven at step down temps, intervals of one hour, for 4 hours starting at 225, 200, 190 and finally 175. melted in your mouth with perfect flavor.

the ribs i did last weekend i was careful not to over spice and over smoke them. you want the fire hot at first to cook the meat then let it die down to around 175 on average to smoke the meat.

that's my style at least. everyone has their own technique, this one just happens to work for me but it's always a work in progress