The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Laptop CMOS Battery change. Practicalities thereof.

I have a Novatech X60MV laptop more often known as a Clevo M77SU which is in need of a new CMOS battery.

Unfortunately, it is not a question of removing the old battery from a circular housing on the mother board and slotting in a replacement.

The battery has two soldered leads which are plugged into the mother board somewhere out of sight.

It might be worth, at this point, referring readers to this thread which discusses the same problem:

X60MV CMOS battery

If you've glanced at the thread you will have read that the OP ended up splicing and soldering the leads as the socket on the mother board wasn't easily accessible.

Now, I've ordered a replacement battery (with leads) but I just wondered if anyone can recommend another way of splicing the cables, perhaps by a miniature plug and socket of some sort.

I am, or was, reasonably adept at soldering although the soldering iron might no longer work as it has been out of service for years, and I would prefer not to go down that road.

So, Dwellars assembled, any recommendations as to alternatives to hot tin and lead, please?
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wondered how they soldered the leads to the battery... they didn't.
Now I wonder how they spot-welded the leads to the battery?

Anyway, you have to splice the leads, either solder or some sort of mechanical crimp connector. Attaching two plugs and two sockets to the wires is unnecessarily complicated. I'd use an uninsulated, tinned, crimp sleeve that has a hole in the center to solder the connection once it's firmly held in place. Also a low temperature solder if the location doesn't get too hot.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks for that, Bruce. That seems to be the way forward.

I did all manner of searches but didn't come up with any satisfactory results.

Note to self: When seeking the right answer it's probably best to ask the right question.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote