The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-03-2015, 05:22 AM   #946
glatt
™

We got your rain. 2nd wettest June on the books.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #947
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It's wet. Very wet.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #948
Griff
still says videotape

Actual sun today, quick get something done!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #949
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
quick get something done!
I. Will. Not.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #950
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
It's 84 degrees in the house.

It's been the hottest June on record, by a long shot. Only eight days with measurable precipitation this spring.
http://www.komonews.com/weather/blog...311125801.html

Quote:
The average high temperature for June was 78.9 degrees. That's a new record -- by a long shot. The old record? 75.8 degrees set in… 1992. Beating an average high temperature record by three degrees is quite the feat. For perspective, it's like taking the previous hottest June, and adding an extra 93 degrees to spread around the 30 days. Third place is 74.7, 4th place is 74.1, so each time setting the record previously was more of an edge than an oblitteration. So 2015 is putting up incredibly lofty numbers that will be tough to beat.

By the way, the typical average high temperature for June in Seattle? 69.9 degrees.
there are other measurements listed in the article, suffice it to say it's been hot and dry.

btw a correction, eight days of precip from May to June, not all spring. Still.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #951
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

She was far more than a meaningless Atlantic storm...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #952
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

HA HA, missed me.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #953
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Part of the cause and effect of your weather, is the amount of energy you get smacked with by the Sun. This map at the link is interactive so you can mouse up the counties... except Alaska and Hawaii.

Quote:
The sunniest place in the lower 48 is Imperial County, Calif. All that sunlight makes the region a great place to grow crops — or it least it was, when water from the Colorado river was more plentiful. Overall, the Southwest gets the most sun in an average day, along with select regions on the Gulf Coast and the southern tip of Florida.

Average sunlight generally diminishes as you head farther north, though you can see that sunlight isn't simply a function of map placement. Pittsburgh (Allegheny County, Pa.) is at roughly the same latitude as Salt Lake City (Salt Lake County, Utah), but the former is at the bottom of the solar distribution while the latter is closer to the top.
~~~~~~~
The absolute least sunny county in the lower U.S. is Island County, Wash. On an average day, it gets only about 60 percent of the solar radiation of a typical county in Southern California. The states bordering the Great Lakes — from Minnesota to New York — are all at the bottom of the sunlight distribution. Northern New England is right there with them.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #954
glatt
™

That's a map of places that should get solar panels.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #955
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Last night at work2 we had to (and oh, it was excruciating. laughing and joking...poor me ) hang out in the training room because tornado sirens were going off. Today more severe storms are expected. I guess at work1 we're supposed to go into the tunnel, but I think I'll just hang out in the vault that's right next to my desk (a non-locking-anymore vault.)

But they never reported a tornado sighting. It used to be that watches were for "conditions are favorable for a tornado to develop" and warnings meant they'd seen something. I guess now they can just go crazy with warnings...so that warnings now have the same impact that watches used to have, meaning "meh...I'll just go about my business."

Not that I really care. If I'd been home I wouldn't have sought any alternate shelter anyway. For one thing, I love storms and this has been the most awesome summer for rain and storms, for another thing, if a tornado wants to come and get me then let it. I double dog dare it. But I will hang out in a training room or a vault if'n they're handy.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #956
glatt
™

Sometimes you just have to take your chances. Couple weeks ago, I was camping and there was a violent thunderstorm. Nowhere to go, so we all just sat under the tarp at the picnic table and experienced the storm. Lightning was striking very close, but not close enough that it hit any of us.

Odds are a tornado will miss you, even if there is one around.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #957
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you sit in a swivel desk chair wear a seatbelt, because the tornado will just spin you around real fast.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #958
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn it, I'm rusting.
By the way, today is Saint Swithin's Day. If it rains today it will rain for 40 days and 40 nights.
Attached Images

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 07-15-2015 at 06:50 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #959
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
St Swithun's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St Swithun's day if thou be fair
For forty days 'twill rain nae mare
If you're gonna make me learn stuff, at least spell it write.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #960
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You didn't believe me and had to look it up, didn't you. That's your problem, so fuck you, don't blame me for your insatiable curiosity.