The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #151
monster
I hear them call the tide

for lunch we had steamed corn on the cob with butter

followed by Baked potatoes with butter, cheese, sour cream, baked beans, green onions, regular onions, chives and bacon. With a mixed lettuce and heritage tomato side salad.

Then rounded it off with fresh home-baked scottish shortbread smothered with whipped cream and strawberries. I didn't gt a pic until it was all over, though.....
Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #152
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I made my own version of the buffalo wing. I fried them crispy brown and before I pulled them out of the skillet I brushed them with a mixture of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and hot sauce. Baked baby red potato on the side with celery sticks.

For desert I made a small batch of chocolate cupcakes with homemade chocolate icing. I didn't know homemade icing would be so so good.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #153
busterb
NSABFD

Shrimp Sauce Piquant. Shrimp from the GULF, of Siam, whatever!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #154
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Dinner tonight will be shrimp from the grill, Israeli cous cous and corn on the cob (if I can get it thawed/cooked by the time the shrimp is done).
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #155
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

We are having beef and shrimp ka-bobs, with macaroni salad and basimati rice tonight. With whatever extras my best freind and hubby bring. Its Litha tonight! So even on a Monday, we celebrate
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #156
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

That sounds WONDERFUL for ya.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #157
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Hallo. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I had a good laugh that this is a thread rolling since 2004, at least. That's pretty incredible. That being said, since I'm eating dinner and this is a food thread:

i'm eating chicken breasts pan-cooked in soy and fish sauce, soju, garlic, and green and red onions over white rice. It's surprisingly good for something I just sort of.. pulled out of the fridge and dumped stuff that was sitting on the countertop into.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #158
monster
I hear them call the tide

hi winslow, welcome. Why are you sad? we have older threads than this one still running I think. Sometimes trolls resurrect them for us and we take it as a challenge!

It would be dangerous indeed to cook some of the things lying around on our countertop
Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #159
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I had to look up soju. Nice!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #160
bbro
Insert witty comment here

A variation on this: http://amberveggies.blogspot.com/200...ology-pie.html
I am going to use chicken instead of beef. I have tried it the beef way and it was GOOOOD. Let's hope the chicken turns out well, too.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #161
Tulip
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_winslow View Post
Hallo. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I had a good laugh that this is a thread rolling since 2004, at least. That's pretty incredible. That being said, since I'm eating dinner and this is a food thread:

i'm eating chicken breasts pan-cooked in soy and fish sauce, soju, garlic, and green and red onions over white rice. It's surprisingly good for something I just sort of.. pulled out of the fridge and dumped stuff that was sitting on the countertop into.
You seasoned it with both soy and fish sauce?? Hmm....I didn't think those two would mix well.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #162
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
You seasoned it with both soy and fish sauce?? Hmm....I didn't think those two would mix well.
Just a little dash of fish sauce mixed in to add an extra shot of savoury kind of taste. I've never really cooked with it before, but it's got a bit of anchovy salty funk to it that's not too bad in moderation. it added a little undertone that was fairly nice.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #163
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
hi winslow, welcome. Why are you sad? we have older threads than this one still running I think. Sometimes trolls resurrect them for us and we take it as a challenge!

It would be dangerous indeed to cook some of the things lying around on our countertop
Don't worry, it's mostly just a name. Yeah, I've been poking around here off and on for quite some time(several years, even) and seen some ancient threads, which I really appreciate compared to a lot of other more, err, "trendy" sites where threads happen for about 24 hours and then die off, never to be heard from again. I like rolling conversations, it really gives a nice sense of continuity and community.

Sundae_girl: soju is pretty darn good and is great to cook with. To be honest, I prefer cooking with it to drinking it, although on plenty of ice with a good twist of lemon it's pretty good too.

Nice meeting you all in actual text now, by the by. I need to hop over to Home Base too and see if I can find whatever happened to that guy who bought the hot dog cart!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #164
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
i coulda sworn i replied to this once. Yeah, i used both a shot of soy sauce, and just a few drops of fish sauce for a little extra savoury hiding on the back-end. I've never really cooked with it before. It smells HORRIBLE out of the bottle, but tastes decent. To be truthful I think I still just prefer anchovies (one of my favorite foods EVER, right there.)

also to sundae_girl re: soju: it's pretty good stuff! I prefer it for cooking mostly, but on the rocks with a good twist of lemon it's not terrible either.

Thankfully, the dangerous things in the house live properly away from the kitchen
Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #165
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

tonight: fish fry from a diner. some sort of white fish, hushpuppies, fries and cole slaw. bad for me, but tasted pretty darn good.