The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #2311
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I figure GRRM is just going to have to have a comet strike Westeros, killing everyone. It's the only way to resolve the stories in two more books.

It is just supposed to be two more, isn't it?

Finished Doctor Who and the Mutants last night. I really need to read the review book. And there's some editing I'm helping a friend with on a paranormal romance. She's nice. I do it in little bits so it isn't as awful as a sit down read through.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #2312
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I read Reamde. It was fine; not quite up to my usual Stephenson expectations.
I read about a hundred pages and then never seemed to pick it up again. Is it worth the read? Should I pick it back up?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #2313
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I read about a hundred pages and then never seemed to pick it up again. Is it worth the read? Should I pick it back up?
The first hundred pages aren't necessarily representative. The plot takes some wild turns. Like I said, it was good, but not great. It felt like the novelization of a decent action/adventure/thriller movie, rather than a literary adventure I am used to getting from Stephenson.

I wouldn't give up on it, but, I am extremely averse to giving up on books. I only remember doing so once, and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
The Greenlanders, by Jane Smiley. Very interesting content, but I find the prose style extremely difficult to get into. I gave up on my first attempt years ago, but I'm sticking to it this time.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #2314
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't get it. If I am really into a book you couldn't shoot it out of my hands. If I've read a hundred pages I'm either going to quit or finish it just to see how stupid the protagonist can get.

But I don't read those super-epic-50-volume series books, either.

Except Amish romances. I love a good Amish romance. I can't WAIT to see if Rebekah and Sarah board the spaceship and take it over with their phasers by shooting the one eyed Charpalthar and the Ruminating Romping Rigomatarman or if they quit rumspringa altogether.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #2315
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflare
I also just recently finished reading A Dance With Dragons - the most recent Song of Ice and Fire book. I really liked it but I do wonder how long this story is going to go on... so many plots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I figure GRRM is just going to have to have a comet strike Westeros, killing everyone. It's the only way to resolve the stories in two more books.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I can kind of sense it starting to turn, all the plots starting to face each other so they can crash together in a spectacular wrap-up. Here's a collection of major plot points as I see it (not actually spoilers, since who knows, but a lot of detailed ideas you may or may not want put into your head):

I think Jon Snow is a Targaryen. His mother is still mostly a mystery, but once, in the very first book, it was mentioned that he has violet eyes, which I only noticed because it was right after describing Daenarys with violet eyes and I thought, "Two major characters with very strange-colored eyes? Not a coincidence." And in ADWD it was noted again that Targaryens have violet eyes.

So Daenaerys is gonna finally show up in Westeros, and she and Jon Snow will get married, maybe before or maybe after figuring out they're related. He'll have to abandon his vows as Lord Commander to do this, which will of course be a torturous decision, but he will rationalize that it is necessary in order for them to join forces so they can defeat the eventual major attack from the Others/Wights (which has got to be the major climax of the whole series,) which is ultimately the Lord Commander's job so by breaking his vows he's actually upholding them.

Penny, Cersei, and Tommen are all going to die. Tyrion will return to Westeros to take the Iron Throne briefly, but will only use it to destroy the last vestiges of his father's realm, basically handing it all over to the Tyrells. He will marry Marjorie to accomplish this, but again not sleep with her, thus continuing the cycle of multiple-marriages-but-no-consummation for both of them. Arya will come back and match wits with the Spider, ultimately killing him. Daenaerys' dragons will only be able to be ridden by women, and Arya will ride the white one in the final battle. The green one will be ridden by Brianna (Maid of Tarth, the big dykey one.)

Also, Rickon has to show up at some crucial plot twist, having been completely missing since the Red Wedding.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #2316
wolf
lobber of scimitars

spoilers ho: well ... I don't disagree that Jon is a Targaryen, But I think his Mom was Eddard Stark's sister, who was raped by the Targaryen. I think Eddard, aka the most and possibly only man in Westeros who is faithful to his wife made up the story because there couldn't be a living Targaryen heir running around, it would have either made Jon a target or destabilized the Barratheon throne almost immediately. I also think he pushed Jon into the Night's Watch because the oath would prevent him ruling if his parentage ever were to come to light. I think that Arya (my favorite character at this point, which means she's likely dead as a doornail) will come back to Westeros for the pleasure of killing Cersei, and maybe the Red Witch. Rickon is off being raised by wolves (or wargs) somewhere, and will be the last Stark standing. For House Lannister, it's really been interesting watching Jamie turn into less of a sonofabitch, that's for sure.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #2317
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The Hunger Games (bought on Mum's Kindle by accident while showing her the steps needed to browse and purchase).

I liked it.
But accept that the following books might be pants.
Still, a colleague has #2 so I can read it without wishing I hadn't bought it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #2318
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

clod and wolf: (secret spoiler type question)

Didn't Jon Cark it at the end of the DWD you read? Or do you think He's not quite dead yet....?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #2319
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

reamde was decent, not great. I liked the characters mostly... but.... The plot relied on far too many coincidences for it to be believable. the 1st 3rd was more geeky with how the game worked and stuff,.... and i was liking it... but then it turned into a spy thriller james bond type of thing. not a stand out book.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #2320
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I just finished the latest Outlander book. The Fiery Cross. I love Clair and Jamie. ANd Davina Porter does such a great Scotch accent.... (audiobook) it was loooong.... but enjoyable. I cant wait until the revolutionary war breaks out.

Currently reading Armor. sci fi junk.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #2321
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
I read it some time last year. That's junk all right.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #2322
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
I actually loved that and want to read it again. John Steakley, right? It's in a box here, somewhere.

SF fan who wanted to be able to be a con guest rather than an attendee, wrote himself a book. It sold. Wrote himself a second book. It got made into a movie by John Carpenter. WIN.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #2323
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Sure looked like it, didn't it? But since when does GRRM do the expected thing. Multiple factors in play here ... you got the Red Witch, the hardiness of the Starks and possibly Targaryens, and magick is coming back into the world as the dragons grow up. Not to mention whatever it is that Uncle Benjen has become, yes? I'm thinking some Red Witch action, myself.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #2324
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm
Answer: Yeah, I don't think Jon's really dead. There have been a couple of times where main characters were assumed dead at the end of their chapters, and then turned out to only be wounded later. I bet Ghost plays into the explanation for why Jon didn't actually die. I even kind of wonder if Stannis is really dead, but I think he probably is.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #2325
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
The Hunger Games (bought on Mum's Kindle by accident while showing her the steps needed to browse and purchase).

I liked it.
But accept that the following books might be pants.
Still, a colleague has #2 so I can read it without wishing I hadn't bought it.
I just read Hunger Games too. It was good, but I didn't love it. My wife read number 2 and says it's actually better than 1. I'll get around to reading it in the next few weeks.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books