The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #496
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

So I've got two offers of employment in San Francisco. Since there won't be mountains available to run during the week, so I am going to go to the ends of the earth to ensure I have a bikeable commute if I end up moving.

Any suggestions on commuter bikes? Any general bike commute tips? Any opinions on bikes with CVT? Are they user-serviceable at all or am I going to break the bank every X years?

One of the jobs has showers and indoor bike parking, which is pretty awesome.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #497
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nice! I'm sure you already know this, but bike theft in San Francisco is HUGE. My friend has had her consumer-grade, double-locked, inside a garage bike stolen twice now. Take it all the way inside your apartment every night, know what I'm saying?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #498
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I've heard that bikes are basically currency among the street crooks there. No idea if that's true or media hyperbole, but after what Clod said ...

Congrats on the job offers though.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #499
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just pack the top bar with C-4 and a remote detonator.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #500
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, eventually that should work, but you'd go through a lot of bikes before word got around.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #501
Griff
still says videotape

Congrats on the job offers!
The bike really depends on what you're comfortable riding. If it were me, I'd ride a touring style bike like the Trek 800 (in my basement) or a similar bike. It has a granny gear for the hills and braze-ons so racks and packs fit conveniently and the tires are a bit wider than a regular road bike. If you'd rather sit more upright there are urban bikes out there which may give you a riding position you may be happier with. Mountain bikes would have the gearing as well and you can swap your stem for an angle you're comfortable with. Ride them all but remember you'll get better over time so you probably don't want to buy a piece of crap that will frustrate you and won't grow with your skill.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #502
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Well, eventually that should work, but you'd go through a lot of bikes before word got around.
Faster than you'd think.

Gears are good, because this isn't just a couple of picturesque streets, there's a lot of them like this.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #503
Griff
still says videotape

Kick ass brakes also required!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #504
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
A couple of things to ponder, first the theft issue.

You can keep dragging the bike to and fro and that mostly works, I'm not sure if your place of employ will let you bring your bike into your cube. The theft from the garage that Clod mentions indicates an inside job or at least someone on the inside tipping thieves off. I've worked with guys who could rationalize telling their friend where to steal something and feeling like they were doing nothing wrong because they, themselves didn't steal the thing. These guys had jobs with certain levels of responsibility, like the garage attendant you give your car keys to...

So, there are clearly people who make their living in stolen bikes and they'll be noticing you ride around town, going in and out of your house etc. as aware of you as a horny teenager is aware of women in short skirts and tight sweaters.

Bearing that in mind, I always assumed if I left my bike anywhere out of my sight it was going to be stolen, lock or not. My strategy in Burlington was that I had a shit commuter bike. A crappy three speed that was crappy looking but had a re-built three speed hub and a lower gearing for hill climbing. In a hilly place you are either going up or down. You don't need big gears on the downhill side, gravity will move you along fast enough.

Gear your bike for the climb and you can use a three or five speed internal hub with the biggest rear cog you can fit and the smallest front ring you can get. You can accessorize with a basket, rack, and fenders. And squirrel tails or streamers as you see fit. an Air horn is good too, especially one with a quick release holder.

No one will waste time with an ugly crappy bike. And if they DO steal it, they are cheap enough to replace.

That's my take.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #505
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

amen to all of footfootfoot's sermon. only bet what you're willing to lose. consider insurance perhaps, if you have something that is expensive enough to want to recoup your losses. Or, integrate fully into the bicycle economy and be a grower and a consumer. maybe you could get a great deal on some new rolling stock...
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #506
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Good advice all around. Thanks everybody.

One of the jobs has indoor bike parking (as in a room in the office dedicated to bikes) and showers for us sweaty folk. I wouldn't worry about it getting stolen there. But I plan to use the bike for most of my transportation needs, with a liberal dash of public transport and my car, when I really need to get out of the city.

I looked into a couple of bike builders and was a little surprised at how they source their frame stock. They seem to get it through bike-specific suppliers. I don't know what they pay, but I'd be surprised if it weren't more expensive than buying it closer to the source. Though I'm sure the price of the materials is nothing compared to the labor of building the bike and the more specialized components..
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #507
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
And the specialized tools. The frame finishing tools (for steel) are very pricey. Cutters, reamers, threaders. The Campy tool kit, for example:

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/campagnolotoolkit.html
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #508
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Two thoughts:
Wire cable locks are easy to cut. Chain is tougher. Those hardened steel D-locks are monkey-fighting tough.

Or, just offer your local junkie $10 bucks a week to bring you a new bike every Monday morning.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #509
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I used to work with an old man that preached there's no advantage to a 15 lb bike, over a 25 lb bike, if you have to carry a 12 lb lock and chain.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #510
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

Hardened steel U- or D-locks, like Kryptonite and derivatives, take less than a minute to cut with an angle grinder. These days, every major tool manufacturer sells a cordless angle grinder.

You can also break them apart with a generic scissor jack from a car, although that might take 3-5 minutes if you're being ginger about it.

That said, I rely on a kryptonite U-lock. All the bikes I've had stolen were someone taking advantage of my laziness. If it's going to be somewhere overnight, take the front wheel off and be sure you're locking both wheels + the frame. Otherwise, lock the frame + a wheel. Never ever ever lock just a wheel, unless you're at the neighborhood coffeeshop and you might be able to get away with locking the back wheel through the frame, since it's unridable and anyway you're sitting right there.

Probably the most effective lock is one of a size that you'll actually carry and use.
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote