The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

The thankful thing

I don't feel remotely thankful. I don't see why I should. "It's not a religious holiday, it's for everyone" Oh yes it is. I love the idea of a holiday for everyone and it's probably not a bad idea for people to sit back and take stock of what's good every now and then. But being thankful implies some one/thing to thank. Who, exactly? And with good comes bad. The chances are that the entire country are not in a good place for reflection on any given day, and even if they are, an awful lot of them are going to find the bad outweighing the good at that time......

If I force a point, I am optimistic that Facebook will be less annoying now the four thousand days of thankfulness ought to be ending soon. But I'm not fucking thankful.

Except to you for reading to the end of this rant
Old 11-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Noted :p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

You're welcome.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I am so thankful today that, even with a fuzzy notion of who/what to thank, I can't help smiling at the sunshine and thinking, thank you. I don't plan to analyze it further than that.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Nirvana
Back in 10

Understood and ....done
Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Who, exactly?
Everyone not you, including the dead. Everyone who is outside of you and everyone who came before you is mostly responsible for the amazing life that you get. The amount of thanks we should be giving is so huge, it's inconceivable.

~ and so ~

I thank you, monster, for giving me 24,485 pieces of yourself in the form of posts. These pieces have enriched my life, simply by being social with me. Whether they were nuggets of wisdom, important events, or just sharing the smallest of moments, opinions, thoughts, they became part of the fabric of my own life, even while I didn't even realize it or outright acknowledge it. Thanks.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am thankful for all my friends on the cellar.
Happy Thanksgiving
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
monster

Fair point, UT, probably the best answer I'm going to get
Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I am thankful that I still have a bit of family that I don't hate.

I am thankful that I am as healthy as I am.

I am thankful for the majority of you folks.

I am thankful for where I am in life.

I am thankful for my life.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I am also thankful for this small box of Whoppers I'm eating on rfn.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

I'm thankful to have all my girls under my roof plus teh boyfriend. You guys as well!
Old 11-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fuck it. I'm in:

I'm thankful that Doctor Who is going strong after 50 years.

And I'm thankful that Carrot has stopped stealing my toothbrush so I can stop buying them in packs of four.

And y'know. Good friends and family and stuffs.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I'm thankful for my children and a nice home to live in (I have running water & electricity). I am especially happy for:

1. The friends on here. At times you have been the only friends I have and you are the reason I haven't swallowed the barrel of a gun out of despair & loneliness.

2. I'm especially thankful for the beautiful women on here. I've lusted after you and shamelessly flirted with you. I mean no harm and it improves my self esteem. I wish fervently I can someday find a woman as special the women of the cellar.

3. JB - I'm your friend. I'm glad I've met you on here and if you ever need help, I am here.

4. UT - I am so grateful for this land of misfit toys. You have helped me and so many others. I only wish I could meet you and shake your hand.

There are so many other things I could babble about, but I'll stop for now
Old 11-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm grateful for the life lessons I didn't know I needed until I was in the thick of them. I'm grateful for the opportunity I have each day to be a better person.

I'm grateful that my coconut custard pie turned out perfectly.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
monster

I think I'm truly going with Festivus this year. This thing needs an antidote, an airing of grievances. Because I'm really pissed off and still not feeling remotely thankful.

I'm really pissed off that I had a stroke and things will never be the same. or even close to fixed. And I'm pissed off that it makes things that were just a minor irritation before huge insurmountable obstacles. And Shut Up. It's Black Friday, I'm being black.

And I'm annoyed/bewildered that the thankful and charitable things are just lip service to so many and that seems to be ok. I think that's what I really don't get. It's so public and so "faux" I mean no offence and I know many will take it and I'm sorry about that, but from an outsider point of view -this outsider- it just is. For example.... On a day when everyone is supposed o be appreciating everyone else..... why are people at the gym using 2 and 3 towels when there clearly are more people needing towels than there are towels? and rinsing their shoes in the hottub? And still blow-drying their hair after the gym is supposed to have closed and staff are waiting to lock up and go home to their families? Yet they chirp "Happy Thanksgiving" as they leave. Could we not just show respect, appreciation and consideration everyday? Or are we just pre-absolving our sin for the coming gluttonic season.

/professionalcynic