The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #271
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

creole jambalaya (pork, ham, and sausage

i've made this one a lot.

this basic meat jambalaya is enriched by using beef stock in place of water. if you have no stock on hand, you can easily prepare some from a good quality beef concentrate. as in the preparation of gumbo chop the vegetables and cut up the principal ingredients before beginning to cook. i like my jambalaya very rich, but if you need to stretch it, double the amount of rice and water and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - you'll have enough jambalaya to feed eight. for a more delicately flavored variation, substitute lean veal for the pork.

--------------------
2 tbs. salt butter
1 1/2 c. long grain rice
4 c. chopped onion
3 c. rich beef stock
2/3 c. chopped green pepper
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. thinly sliced green shallot (scallion) tops
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1tbs. finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tbs. finely minced fresh parsley
2 whole bay leaves (crushed)
1 lb. lean pork cut into 3/4" cubes
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 c. finely chopped baked ham
1/8 tsp. cloves
6 creole (polish, french garlic) smoked sausages (or your fav) sliced 1/2" thick and kept refrigerated

---------------------

in a heavy 7 to 8 quart pot or kettle, melt the butter over low heat. add the vegetables, parsley, pork and ham; continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes, or until the veggies and pieces of meat are browned. add the sausage and seasonings and continue cooking and stirring over low heat for 5 minutes more.add the rice and beef stock and mix well, then raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. cover the pot, turn the heat to very low, and cook for 45 minutes, uncovering from time to time to stir. uncover the pot during the last 10 minutes of cooking and raise the heat to medium to allow the rice to dry out, stirring very frequently. serve immediately.

gumbo recipe to follow in the next day or so.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #272
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

This jambalaya sounds like it would work in a Crock-Pot too. Longer cooking time, set'n'forget, maybe a little less stock/water, as that is often called for with covered cooking like a crockpot.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #273
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
This jambalaya sounds like it would work in a Crock-Pot too. Longer cooking time, set'n'forget, maybe a little less stock/water, as that is often called for with covered cooking like a crockpot.
yeah, actually, that sounds like it would work really well if you have to time to wait.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #274
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

shrimp and crab okra gumbo

The basic New Orleans seafood gumbo. Gumbo crabs are the hard shell crabs we use for cooking; any hard shell crab avail. in your area can be used. Whether you eat the cooked crab served in the gumbo is a matter of taste-some of us do and some of us don't. A delightful and slightly extravagant variation is to use lump crabmeat in addition to or use as a substitute for hard shell crabs. We like chopped smoke sausage in this gumbo because it adds a fine, smoky flavor. Reserve half of the shrimp, and if you use it, half the lump crabmeat, then add them just a few minutes before the end of the cooking time. This way your gumbo will have both the cooked-in taste of shrimp and also some good firm shrimp for eating. Be sure to have everything else ready before you start the roux because you can't do all that chopping and tend to the roux at the same time.

the gumbo base
2 c. chopped onion
3/4c. chopped green pepper
1/3c. thinly sliced green shallot (scallion) tops
2 tbs. finely minced fresh parsley
1 tbs finely minced garlic
1 1/2c. coarsely chopped creole (beefsteak, jersey) tomatoes (2 medium)
2 creole (polish, french garlic) smoked sausages, chopped fine
2 lb. whole fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb. gumbo crabs, broken in half
2 lb fresh okra, stems and tips removed, sliced 3/8 inch thick

the roux
3/4 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. flour

the liquid and the seasonings
2 1/2 qt. cold water
3 whole bay leaves, crushed
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
5 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (fresh is important here...my emphasis)
1/4 tsp. cayenne (i prefer more but add or delete to your discretion)
4 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
10 whole allspice
1/2 tsp. mace (not the chemical, the spice )
8 whole cloves

k. after you have assembled the ingredients for the gumbo base, heat the oil in a heavy 7 to 8 quart pot or kettle over medium heat. Make the roux by gradually adding the flour to the oil, stirring constantly. (must. stir. constantly. don't let it sit and burn. the roux is the most important part of this. don't buy store bought either, that's cheating. the roux is the hardest and most important part of this recipe) Cook over low heat, always stirring, until a medium brown roux is formed. (this will take from 20 to 30 mins. the roux should be the color of pecan shells or hazelnuts). immediately add the onion, green peppers, shallot tops, parsley and garlic. continue cooking for about 10 minutes longer, stirring constantly; the chopped vegetables should be lightly browned at this point. Add 2 quarts of the cold water. 1 lb. of the raw shrimp, the crabs, the okra and the seasonings. Raise the heat slightly and bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir from time to time and scrape down the sides and across the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent scorching. At the end of the hour, still keeping the gumbo at a simmer, add the remaining 1/2 quart water and stir. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand at room temperature. (personally, i like to let it cool to room temp and then put it in the fridge over night. this really brings out the flavor but if you can't wait, follow recipe)
before serving, bring the gumbo to a boil and add the remaining pound of shrimp. simmer just until the shrimp turn pink, about 10 to12 minutes. stir thoroughly, turn off the heat, and cover the pot. let it sit, covered, for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve by ladling the gumbo over mounds of boiled rice in gumbo bowls or deep soup bowls.

enjoy!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #275
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Oh Nom Nom Nom NOM !!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #276
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I absolutely love this pie. I only made it once and it turned out great. I didn't have the zucchini, though. I am sure there are a bevy of veggies you could put into it. from here: http://amberveggies.blogspot.com/200...ology-pie.html

Apology Pie:

1pound sirloin cut in cubes (or you could use stew meat)
Flour (to lightly coat meat)
Salt and pepper (to season meat)
1-2 potatoes diced or thinly sliced, however you prefer
A handful of diced zucchini
1 medium onion, sliced
2 c beef stock
9 inch pie crust

Preheat oven to 400F.
In a bag mix flour, salt, and pepper.
Add meat and shake to coat.
Brown meat with onions. Add stock and lower heat.
Simmer for 30 min or until meat is tender.
Add potatoes and zucchini and simmer another 10 minutes.
Spoon everything into pie shell
Bake 30 min or until crust is done.

This serves about four, unless you are like my boyfriend. Then it serves about 1 and a half.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #277
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
I'm not very much fish people, . . . Most of my ideas of fun seafood . . .

OMG! I almost choked to death laughing at this, trying desperately not to conjure up images of UGs ideas of "fun seafood" . . .
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #278
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I absolutely love this pie.
Thank you!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #279
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Thank you!
Welcome Wait, you don't come with gravy! Must be another pie :p
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #280
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Wait, you don't come with gravy!
How do you know?!!!11!1
Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #281
Cloud

For discussion: What would you do if you discovered you were a pedophile?

(oops)
Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #282
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This, ah, was probably supposed to be its own thread.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #283
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I made a lovely lamb broth yesterday. Big pan of it so I had it for last night's evening meal and again this evening. Always nicest second day

Ingredients:
500g blend of lamb and mutton mince (ground meat I think you guys call it)
1 large white onion roughly chopped
5 new potatoes with skins scraped but not peeled, cut into halves.
1 large carrot scraped and chopped
1 large closed cap white mushroom sliced
1/2 broccoli broken into florets
1 tin garden peas
2 cloves garlic crushed
dessert spoon of dried mixed herbs
3/4 pint of vegetable stock
teaspoon of cornflour (or plain flour)
tablespoon of cooking oil
tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
a shake or three of salt, pepper and ground chilli flakes.

Dead easy:

Heat the oil in large pan and throw in the onions. let 'em sweat for about 7 mins stirring or shaking occasionally to stop them sticking.
Add the mincemeat and brown gently, stirring often. Salt, pepper, chilliflakes and about half the herbs and half the worstershire sauce can be added during this part.
When the meat is starting to brown and fat is gathering in the pan, add the cornflour (dont mix with water first) sprinkling it so it soaks up the fat and keep browning. The meat should start to catch the base of the pan a little. That's good, let it but keep it moving so it doesn't stick totally and burn.

Throw in the carrots and keep stirring the lot. After about five minutes add the potatoes and keep stirring to brown everything. Give that about five minutes and then add the stock and stir. Add the crushed garlic.

Give it about another ten minutes then add the mushrooms; another ten minutes and add the broccoli and peas.

Throw in the rest of the herbs and worstershire sauce, cover and simmer on a gentle heat for about 20 minutes (longer if you like a slow-cooked taste) stirring occasionally. Then give it 5-10 mins with the lid off if the liquid levels are still high.

Just before the end it's worth throwing in a little more worstershire sauce and pepper.

Serve with crusty bread. Delightful.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #284
Urbane Guerrilla

We tend to call that sort of blend meatloaf: beef/pork/veal optionally, ground all together, extended a bit with breadcrumbs, seasoned with herbs and a little salt, sometimes topped with ketchup or any other suitable seasoned sauce -- Worcestershire's fine to flavor it, but A-1 Sauce will actually stay on top of the loaf -- and baked in a loaf pan or baking dish.

Serve with mashed potatoes and veg.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #285
Urbane Guerrilla

Blackened, Cloud, blackened. Blackened is fun, but it's gotta be the real spice mix and the butter. Paul Prudhomme's recipe taught me how. Any diluted form has just been insipid by comparison. I'd go so far as to call it debased. If it isn't hot enough to make the Cajun preacher dance, it's not done right and you've lost two-thirds of the potential experience. Bland food is the enemy. Don't let it win.

Tags
recipes